Can Bo get it done

Can Bo get "it" done  

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I truly wasn't aware of that situation with Christian, shows what I know. Not convicted though correct? The hate for Jason due to a drug problem, really? Thunder Collins, Lawrence Phillips, and Jason Peter, a recovering addict from pain meds due to putting his complete ass on the line every game he played....yep, same category. I just don't agree. I actually respect all he did for Nebraska, and I also understand that people make mistakes and this guy has fought pretty hard , from what I hear, to battle those demons. I can respect that. As I said, I'm not nearly as perfect as most of you folks here, so forgive me.

As a fan of those guys as a kid, I just find myself going to bat for them every once in awhile. Doesn't mean anything to them, or all too much to me, I've just never got why the bad rap.

All you need to do is google "Christian Peter Rap Sheet" to see that he does have convictions, including 3rd degree sexual assault. Christian referenced the allegations against him in his famous 1996 Fiesta Bowl pre game speech. Christian's issues helped cut short his pro career also. Jason started on pain killers, but he went way downhill from there. Go read his book. Either way both are NOT great role models, though Jason seems to have gotten his life back on track. He still sucks as a radio personality though.

---edited, stupid auto correct

I truly wasn't aware of that situation with Christian, shows what I know. Not convicted though correct? The hate for Jason due to a drug problem, really? Thunder Collins, Lawrence Phillips, and Jason Peter, a recovering addict from pain meds due to putting his complete ass on the line every game he played....yep, same category. I just don't agree. I actually respect all he did for Nebraska, and I also understand that people make mistakes and this guy has fought pretty hard , from what I hear, to battle those demons. I can respect that. As I said, I'm not nearly as perfect as most of you folks here, so forgive me.

As a fan of those guys as a kid, I just find myself going to bat for them every once in awhile. Doesn't mean anything to them, or all too much to me, I've just never got why the bad rap.

All you need to do is google "Christian Peter Rap Sheet" to see that he does have convictions, including 3rd degree sexual assault. Christian referenced the allegations against him in his famous 1996 Fiesta Bowl pre game speech. Christian's issues helped cut short his pro career also. Jason started on pain killers, but he went way downhill from there. Go read his book. Either way both are necessarily great role models, though Jason seems to have gotten his life back on track. He still sucks as a radio personality though.

I honestly had never googled it, I never heard anything about it. Kind of dumb I guess considering I've idolized these guys as a kid. In that era, me and my brothers all loved the Peter Bros., we were football nuts and those guys were badass crazy dudes. Kind of sucks to have their image sh#t on a bit honestly becuase I've got some really neat memorabilia from those guys. I knew Jason had a pain pill addiction, but I didn't know about heroin. I still don't think that makes him a bad person. Just a guy who made some bad choices at a young age. He learned and grew from it though so I respect that. I still like listening to Jason talk football to be honest with you. You can hear the passion about Nebraska in his voice still. I just really love the way they played and the way they brought it every single down. They hopped up and jumped around and high fived, just loved playing football. Those guys used to have fun. There's obviously more to it than just being a good ball player, I just wasn't really well informed on all the other stuff.

All you need to do is google "Christian Peter Rap Sheet" to see that he does have convictions, including 3rd degree sexual assault. Christian referenced the allegations against him in his famous 1996 Fiesta Bowl pre game speech. Christian's issues helped cut short his pro career also. Jason started on pain killers, but he went way downhill from there. Go read his book. Either way both are necessarily great role models, though Jason seems to have gotten his life back on track. He still sucks as a radio personality though.

I honestly had never googled it, I never heard anything about it. Kind of dumb I guess considering I've idolized these guys as a kid. In that era, me and my brothers all loved the Peter Bros., we were football nuts and those guys were badass crazy dudes. Kind of sucks to have their image sh#t on a bit honestly becuase I've got some really neat memorabilia from those guys. I knew Jason had a pain pill addiction, but I didn't know about heroin. I still don't think that makes him a bad person. Just a guy who made some bad choices at a young age. He learned and grew from it though so I respect that. I still like listening to Jason talk football to be honest with you. You can hear the passion about Nebraska in his voice still. I just really love the way they played and the way they brought it every single down. They hopped up and jumped around and high fived, just loved playing football. Those guys used to have fun. There's obviously more to it than just being a good ball player, I just wasn't really well informed on all the other stuff.

Hey, I was right there with you as a teenager. Heck I wanted to get a Peterbilt tattoo like they had when I got older. As a Dad this is one of the things I struggle with, especially since so many athletes aren't great role models. You just have to pay attention to who they idolize and what that person represents.

Bo came in to repair a toxic situation but if or when he leaves, he's likely bequeathing a not-so-dissimilar task for the next guy.

That's an interesting thought. IMO, Bo's successor will probably have similar or slightly less talent on the team when he walks through the door. The team probably won't have completely given up like Callahan's last team. Arguably, the most toxic aspect will be repairing the relationships with people outside of the program and assuming that our next coach has attended at least a single PR class that shouldn't be too difficult. Fans want to like their coach. Fans want to hope. Fans want to believe. It won't take long to reignite those feelings.

No doubt the biggest challenge for the next coach will be to repair NU's wildly tarnished national reputation (in terms of being a class organization, good sportsmanship, etc.) .

lol

You can dismiss that, but there's truth to that statement. Talk to a non NU fan about Suh, and ask what his opinion of him is. Ask if they associate Richie Incognito to Nebraska or to Oregon. Ask what they think of our football coach and his antics.

We all can defend Suh because we're in the sphere, and we can dismiss Incognito. And I can even defend Bo because I know his good points too. But perception is reality and Nebraska does not have a sterling reputation nationally right now.

NU football has much, much less than a sterling reputation re:sportsmanship nationally. In fact, NU has among the worst reputations in college football... and this stems largely from the perceptions (very negative) of Bo, Incognito, and Suh. You are correct perception is the functional equivalent of reality. Living out of state, I hear nothing but bad things about NU football and it always centers on Boo's conduct (viewed very negatively) and Suh and Incognito... but mostly Bo.

I read above several posters whose points are well taken... but must be tempered. It was stated that Saban, among others have been shown forth as coaches who have bad sportsmanship and can, at times, be truly bad representatives for their respective universities (like Bo has been at NU). This seems to me to be true. The premise is that because these programs win, the coaches get a pass and the emphasis on their poor conduct is less highlighted. This seems true. As pointed out, that does not mean the conduct is OK... it only means that winning takes the focus off the bad conduct. But this is true only in certain quarters --- only among a subset of people (but the general media is doubtless in that subset). For many, the wins do not matter... bad conduct is bad conduct and a coach as a bad ambassador for the school is bad whether they win or not. Perhaps the subset that views things this way is fairly small... who knows? But I am numbered among that group.

The wins and losses to me at NU are not so big a thing --- programs go up and down and one must expect times (numbered often in groupings of years) whereby the team is not so great. Follow any program and you will have this. No big deal. But how you conduct yourself matters (at least to some of us)... and loving my alma mater as I do, I truly wish that NU football had a better ambassador out there. It is as simple as that... winning a championship would, for me anyway, not change anything.

• Fire 1

One must confess that the Husker nation --- at least if this poll is reflective and representative at all --- is wildly optimistic and stays hopeful year after year. This is a little like Cub fans still holding out hope that this will be the year. I guess this as a good thing... people staying positive.

Actually, they're not alike at all

Bo's won 70 percent of his games, played in 3 CCGs, and has made the post season every year.

Even being a Cub fan, I don't recall the last time we made the post season or won 70 percent of our games. 10 years ago????

I was not comparing the Cubs to the Huskers. I was comparing the fans of the Cubs to the fans of the Huskers. My point is that Cub fans tend to be terminally positive and hopeful all the time... and that NU fans are beginning to be that way too (if posters here are an indication). Point is, that is a good attribute. A fan base that thinks championships are around the corner no matter what the evidence is, is a fan base that is tough not to like. In this, I see Cub fans (I have been one for 50+ years and counting) and Husker fans (been one of those for 30+years and counting) both share optimism no matter what.

...The wins and losses to me at NU are not so big a thing --- programs go up and down and one must expect times (numbered often in groupings of years) whereby the team is not so great. Follow any program and you will have this. No big deal. But how you conduct yourself matters (at least to some of us)... and loving my alma mater as I do, I truly wish that NU football had a better ambassador out there.

Great post, robsker.

NU football has much, much less than a sterling reputation re:sportsmanship nationally. In fact, NU has among the worst reputations in college football... and this stems largely from the perceptions (very negative) of Bo, Incognito, and Suh. You are correct perception is the functional equivalent of reality. Living out of state, I hear nothing but bad things about NU football and it always centers on Boo's conduct (viewed very negatively) and Suh and Incognito... but mostly Bo.

Bullsh#t.

• Fire 2

Bullsh#t.

bullsh#t x2.

I even started a thread literally called "The Compliments from Opposing Fans Thread" because we get them after every single game. Here is the link since you seem a bit delusional based on the content of at least that post:

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/66255-the-compliments-from-opposing-fans-thread/

• Fire 2

So be it then. Like I've said, folks are obviously judged by winning and losing much moreso than ANYTHING else that is done. So who gives damn I guess. And it's football anyway. It's not a nicey nice game. Time to get the nastiness back all across the board. Step on their throat and crush their larynxs.

• Fire 1

Again a small, very small amount of people(maybe 50 people who post regularly) on a pro Nebraska board, vs 6 year's of being stopped nearly every day by someone wanting to talk football and especially Nebraska football. I drive a 3500 dually with a the whole back window being a Husker emblem. Wear Nebraska clothing nearly every day of the week. Work along the 10 and 215 Freeways in So Cal. Seldom a week goes by with out numerous negative comments about Bo. At first I agreed with most of them, the last year I have seen things somewhat differently. But to think he is popular and well thought of out of the Nebraska fan base is homerism at its best. And in honesty the most negative are Nebraska fans. Some do endorse him, but a very small number comparatively.

But I do think he is improving his image some. Heard a lot after the Iowa game, but mostly Nebraska fans venting.

I have anecdotal stories that paint the opposite picture.

Living in Idaho for the past 3 years after living in Nebraska for 20+ years I really don't see a lot of people stopping me and saying BP is nuts or anything. Most people are very indifferent to me being a Nebraska fan and who the coach at Nebraska is or whether he is crazy or not.

Though I must be truthful I haven't really run across a lot of super hard core football fans. Most are BSU, Oregon, or Wazzu fans.

This^^^^^^ I live in Oregon and most of the people I run into, ask me if NU won or not. they don't care about who the HC is.

One must confess that the Husker nation --- at least if this poll is reflective and representative at all --- is wildly optimistic and stays hopeful year after year. This is a little like Cub fans still holding out hope that this will be the year. I guess this as a good thing... people staying positive.

Actually, they're not alike at all

Bo's won 70 percent of his games, played in 3 CCGs, and has made the post season every year.

Even being a Cub fan, I don't recall the last time we made the post season or won 70 percent of our games. 10 years ago????

I was not comparing the Cubs to the Huskers. I was comparing the fans of the Cubs to the fans of the Huskers. My point is that Cub fans tend to be terminally positive and hopeful all the time... and that NU fans are beginning to be that way too (if posters here are an indication). Point is, that is a good attribute. A fan base that thinks championships are around the corner no matter what the evidence is, is a fan base that is tough not to like. In this, I see Cub fans (I have been one for 50+ years and counting) and Husker fans (been one of those for 30+years and counting) both share optimism no matter what.

I'm a lifelong Cubs fan (31 years and counting) and agree with this sentiment. It doesn't mean you can't see the negatives, or understand when your team is failing (there is a prevailing theme of the "koolaid drinkers" being too stupid to see all the obvious negatives). I'll hope for the best, and expect the best outcome every year... but if/when that doesn't happen it is soul-crushingly painful.

I think that's why we're starting to see the big split here, sometimes it's just easier to be a pessimist, to dull expectations, and enjoy the success when it comes. I just know I can't do that. It doesn't make me a better or worse fan, just an optimistic one.

You people that live out of state realize there are 317 million people that live in the US.? The ten people you talk to that think NU has bad sportsmanship do not make up the majority.

Oh man, I talked to one guy today that said Bo Pelini and Suh are bad men. That must mean the rest of the nation views BP as a bad man too! Our reputation is one of the worst in college football!!111

• Fire 2

Robsker and I both fit into the blue hair category. I believe Robsker is a professor at a university. I am old retired Marine. We still see winning the right way as important, having a program that is respected in all facets. Robsker has focused totally on Bo and his actions, and given pretty good reasons as to why this is not going to work in the long run.

Being an old Marine, Bo is a beginner for me. Not enough F words to really carry on a conversation. lol. I was the first one on this board to voice my total displeasure with Bo being hired for many reasons. I have endured the pro Bo guys saying every year this is the year for Nebraska and Bo. It does get old, just as some of us and our Bo sucks gets old to the positive Bo guys.

I do differ from Robsker in that I think Bo can correct his problems, that he truly has worked on his temper, his public perception. I have a wife that thinks Bo is a complete idiot, should not have a job at any higher learning position, that he is a total embarrassment to the program by his actions and his win loss ratio. But she has stated that he seems to be working on his attitude.

I see a lot of positives from Bo, but mostly on the player side. His devotion to them, his protection of them and (what I feel) his sincere interest in their development as students, players and young men. Those are truly important parts of his job. His dedication it appears to only recruit quality young men, and run the program as I (personally) think it should be.

I had a Marine Drill Instructor, that was hard as hell, every other word was an F word and I and the platoon were lower than whale poo. But he made me a man, I ending up spending many years around him in the Marine Corps, one of the best, bravest men I have ever known. Rough around the edges, but truly cared about the men under him. So I have lightened up some on Bo, Polo and I used to go round and round about him, Polo supporting him to the enth, and me thinking he was just a step above a maggot.

Bo is not the pretty prince of football, but I think he is honest, hard working and gives us his very best. After this year, if it is not good enough, Bo will need to go, but I just have this funny feeling things are going to be better this year, and just possibly our Frog will turn into that prince we need.

I agree with Robsker about wins not being that important to me. I think that comes with age.

You people that live out of state realize there are 317 million people that live in the US.? The ten people you talk to that think NU has bad sportsmanship do not make up the majority.

Oh man, I talked to one guy today that said Bo Pelini and Suh are bad men. That must mean the rest of the nation views BP as a bad man too! Our reputation is one of the worst in college football!!111

Is this to infer that you do not think that people who live outside of the state of Nebraska actually hear opinions on how people away from the Nebraska "sphere" think of the program currently?

I talk to more than ten people about college football, and our perception isn't "the worst in the nation", but it sure as hell isn't what it was when I was coming home to CA when I was at school there in the late 90's.

Nationally, we're a down program to what we once were. There's no denying that.