Can Bo get it done

Can Bo get "it" done  

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Who seriously cares all that much what other people think about our coach?

They're outsiders with outsider "knowledge" and ignorance. They don't know jack sh#t.

We don't care how the program looks to people outside of its "sphere"? This is odd.

Why do you care? It's an honest question.

If people think well of us great. If they don't, 99% of the time it's either because of an irrational bias that isn't going to be changed by a nicer coach or PR campaign, or it's because they aren't educated on the matter whatsoever and decided to form an opinion based on a 10 second video clip or negative article written by a hack journalist, so who cares? They're going to think what they're going to think.

This, how many times do we still hear about LP or CP from those people.

On a side note, OMFG, is this discussion still going on? Bo will likely be the coach next year, can we at least put this on the back burner and let the 2014 season play out? Or at least until the first loss of the year?

Good grief.......

The bottom line for me is I think of this program as a unique and special one in all of college football in ways not even related to winning, and I like having a coach we can all be proud of. Not one for whom we're always saying, "But that was ____ (period of time) ago, can't you drop it already?" and "Oh, who cares how he looks to the public eye." So, that comes first.

I'm proud of our coach. Period.

Texas 2010 in the backburner for you these days?

The bottom line for me is I think of this program as a unique and special one in all of college football in ways not even related to winning, and I like having a coach we can all be proud of. Not one for whom we're always saying, "But that was ____ (period of time) ago, can't you drop it already?" and "Oh, who cares how he looks to the public eye." So, that comes first.

I'm proud of our coach. Period.

And I think you're really missing out on how proud you could be.

• Fire 1

You brought it up previously, Landlord. I thought it was something that concerned you at the time, but maybe I'm misremembering.

The Cornhusker basement incident? I don't see how it relates. Bo Pelini is very, very far from perfect, and has serious character flaws.

I said I was proud of him, which I am.

They're outsiders with outsider "knowledge" and ignorance. They don't know jack sh#t.

I want to state first hand I'm not getting involved in this keep Bo, fire Bo bullsh#t here with this statement, we are past that. The guy signed an extension, he's our coach. I'm looking forward to football, not more talk about Bo.

That said, here's my statement regarding yours above. I just think some need to realize there are people who do care what people think about Nebraska's coach. Quite a few actually. The image of Nebraskas coach may matter more to some here at Nebraska than anywhere. For what reason I'm not sure. If I had to guess I would just say following Tom Osborne and the legend he is both in coaching, and as a man, is probably tough sledding. Frank found that out.

I also want to comment on your position about "outsiders". You do realize that 95% of Nebraska fans and supporters are generally "outsiders"? With this position being an overwhelming majority, you must realize you damn near paint the entire fan base as "don't know sh#t" or ignorant. Even many that claim to know, don't really know the inner workings of this football program day to day. So you being a smart guy, I'm sure you understand that perception, judgment, is only based on the things that general population of "outsiders" is given. The majority will control the perception, whether it be based on truth or not. I'm sure you understand how this all works, but by your comment. You hardly seem to acknowledge it. It is what it is.

Bo is getting better at throwing less logs on the fire, so to speak. Last season I thought he did really well, for the most part, controlling his image. Iowa may have hurt the image a bit. Let's also give credit to the things he's done to help his perception. Team Jack has to be the best in my book. I've heard he promotes charity work and the team is quite involved in the community and visiting hospitals? He has been very open now to admitting some mistakes, some learning processes, and demonstrating changes he's been willing to make. Evolution as a person. It makes him look human, not like a robot. Fun with players, fun with recruits and overall showing his humorous side all help him more and more. I can just assure you, it all matters, and it's not fair to say one matters and the other doesn't. If you expect folks to credit Bo with the positive things he puts out there, it rather hypocritical to not expect him to be judged by negative things that are out there as well.

That is all.

You brought it up previously, Landlord. I thought it was something that concerned you at the time, but maybe I'm misremembering.

The Cornhusker basement incident? I don't see how it relates. Bo Pelini is very, very far from perfect, and has serious character flaws.

I said I was proud of him, which I am.

That actually happened?

I want to state first hand I'm not getting involved in this keep Bo, fire Bo bullsh#t here with this statement, we are past that. The guy signed an extension, he's our coach. I'm looking forward to football, not more talk about Bo.

That said, here's my statement regarding yours above. [...]

I think by "outsiders" he means fans of other programs, not Nebraska fans that aren't associated with the program or fans that live out of state. Because honestly, who does give a sh#t what a fan of any other school thinks about us? I only care about how the players and prospective players feel about Nebraska.

I think by "outsiders" he means fans of other programs, not Nebraska fans that aren't associated with the program or fans that live out of state. Because honestly, who does give a sh#t what a fan of any other school thinks about us? I only care about how the players and prospective players feel about Nebraska.

By definition, a prospective player for Nebraska is an "outsider".

• Fire 2
You do realize that 95% of Nebraska fans and supporters are generally "outsiders"? With this position being an overwhelming majority, you must realize you damn near paint the entire fan base as "don't know sh#t" or ignorant.

This I agree with. We are all idiots :)

We don't care how the program looks to people outside of its "sphere"? This is odd.

Another conundrum.

Obviously, people inside our "sphere" are going to have the best informed opinion about everything related to our program: what kind of person our coach is, how good our players can be, what kind of people our players are, how good our game day atmosphere is, so on and so forth. We have access to and care to look at and read videos and stories about our program. I've re-watched the Northwestern Hail Mary countless times and I've watched the selection show watch party reaction when the Huskers were selected a dozen times. And access to our program isn't limited to a x-mile radius around Lincoln. Anybody who has access to a computer can glean all the information they want about our program, if they look hard enough. Foppa, I believe, lives in New Zealand and he is as much "inside our sphere" as anybody else.

But time puts such a constraint on our lives. I'm fortunate enough to be a college student who has the time to read articles, watch videos, and really digest what I've read and watched. Was Bo's reaction a product of something external to him, is the local media just plain stupid, et cetera.

Most people don't have that luxury. They either:

1) Aren't in our "sphere" in which case they won't spend much time forming an opinion about our program, its players, its fans, and its staff.

2) Don't have the time in which case they won't spend much time forming an opinion about our program, its players, its fans, and its staff.

3) Aren't in our "sphere" and don't have the time in which case they probably aren't an avid watcher of college football.

This harkens back to the point I made earlier: people give more weight to negatively charged words, events, behaviors, et cetera than they do positively charged words, events, behaviors, et cetera. For those people in our "sphere" who don't have the time and for people who aren't in our sphere but do have the time, their opinion of our program is shaped by very tangible things: media headlines and results of games. And the media reports fall victim to the same bias I mentioned above and so report more negative things than they do positive things. Can you see the vicious cycle?

Here's the caveat, though. The people outside our "sphere," they often have the most power in deciding where our program winds up should it falter in a game or two. So, in the grand scheme of things their ill-guided opiniondoes matter and it probably matters more than our own well-formed opinions.

At the end of the day, what really matters is how you want to be remembered and who you want to be remembered by. If you want to be remembered as a winner, then you win games and don't give a rats ass about your behavior. I guarantee you, the people who we remember the most are those types of people. The true icons, however are the people who win and give no reason to think negatively of them (Tom Osborne). I guarantee that Bo Pelini would be fondly remembered by everyone when his time here is over if he didn't make a "horse's ass" out of himself. We won't fire Tim Miles if he has a few barely over .500 seasons in a row.

Bo has made an ass of himself and more times than one. I think he knows that and I think he knows that image is everything. It's all part of the learning process; he's never been a head coach before. He's stubborn to the point that it becomes obnoxious. But I think he's learning and I think he's on the process of repairing his image over the next few years.

I hope so.

• Fire 1