Can Bo get it done

Can Bo get "it" done  

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bo came in to repair a toxic situation but if or when he leaves, he's likely bequeathing a not-so-dissimilar task for the next guy.

That's an interesting thought. IMO, Bo's successor will probably have similar or slightly less talent on the team when he walks through the door. The team probably won't have completely given up like Callahan's last team. Arguably, the most toxic aspect will be repairing the relationships with people outside of the program and assuming that our next coach has attended at least a single PR class that shouldn't be too difficult. Fans want to like their coach. Fans want to hope. Fans want to believe. It won't take long to reignite those feelings.

No doubt the biggest challenge for the next coach will be to repair NU's wildly tarnished national reputation (in terms of being a class organization, good sportsmanship, etc.) .

lol

Bo came in to repair a toxic situation but if or when he leaves, he's likely bequeathing a not-so-dissimilar task for the next guy.

That's an interesting thought. IMO, Bo's successor will probably have similar or slightly less talent on the team when he walks through the door. The team probably won't have completely given up like Callahan's last team. Arguably, the most toxic aspect will be repairing the relationships with people outside of the program and assuming that our next coach has attended at least a single PR class that shouldn't be too difficult. Fans want to like their coach. Fans want to hope. Fans want to believe. It won't take long to reignite those feelings.

No doubt the biggest challenge for the next coach will be to repair NU's wildly tarnished national reputation (in terms of being a class organization, good sportsmanship, etc.) .

lol

You can dismiss that, but there's truth to that statement. Talk to a non NU fan about Suh, and ask what his opinion of him is. Ask if they associate Richie Incognito to Nebraska or to Oregon. Ask what they think of our football coach and his antics.

We all can defend Suh because we're in the sphere, and we can dismiss Incognito. And I can even defend Bo because I know his good points too. But perception is reality and Nebraska does not have a sterling reputation nationally right now.

• Fire 2
So standard operating procedure when your coach has over a .700 winning percentage, one of three programs in the country to show consistency in 9+ wins per season and runs a clean program.......is to continually bring up national perception? S T R E T C H

It's not any more of a stretch to say Nebraska is on Oregon's or Alabama's level because they've met some benchmark that not even Oregon or Alabama care about.

• Fire 2

lol

You can dismiss that, but there's truth to that statement. Talk to a non NU fan about Suh, and ask what his opinion of him is. Ask if they associate Richie Incognito to Nebraska or to Oregon. Ask what they think of our football coach and his antics.

We all can defend Suh because we're in the sphere, and we can dismiss Incognito. And I can even defend Bo because I know his good points too. But perception is reality and Nebraska does not have a sterling reputation nationally right now.

I don't think the perception of Suh is necessarily tied to the program's overall image, at least from the feedback I get in NY. I run into all kinds out here, tons of UM, PSU, etc. alums. They all remember what NU did at Happy Valley 3 years ago, Team Jack, Rex, they rave about how they were treated in Lincoln, and the list goes on. The perception of Bo's hotheaded nature on the field doesn't seem to detract from the overall perception of NU. Most fans understand that coaches come and go, heck look at PSU.

No doubt the biggest challenge for the next coach will be to repair NU's wildly tarnished national reputation (in terms of being a class organization, good sportsmanship, etc.)

Wildly tarnished? I guarantee you that if Nebraska wins games this year and gets themselves in the top 15-20 nobody will give a rat's you-know-what about anything else. Furthermore, I completely disagree with the notion that it's "wildly tarnished" in the first place. Wildly tarnished would be akin to what Penn State has dealt with. Hell, even cheating programs like USC... nobody cares that they cheated, and it was evidenced by the fact their coverage shot up when they started winning.

I don't see anything to suggest that Nebraska's reputation is nationally damaged by a lack of a class organization or good sportsmanship. Some of Pelini's antics haven't helped, but our "national" perception is still pretty good.

And as a side note, the Suh/Incognito thing... I have paid moderately close attention to both of their situations. I have never once heard a sports person negatively associate Nebraska and those players. Perhaps it has happened, but not much. They may mention these guys went to Nebraska but that's the extent of it, and that's not negatively associating them. It's just fact. And fans are far less reasonable - even such, I RARELY hear anyone say anything negative about Suh having attended Nebraska. And if I do, they're ridiculous fans of a rival.

I think you both are creating your own conclusions about our national perception to fit your disappointment in the program.

lol

Truth is, if someone lack the perspective and common sense enough to know about the real person of Bo Pelini and how good of a person he really is and allows that lack of perspective to form a bad opinion of him based on a saturday afternoon tantrum or two, then to hell with em. Their opinion doesnt matter anyway. And I guarantee you that theyre too stupid to be in any sort of position in which their opinion does have a bearing.

Now, I'm gonna go ahead and post your counter point for you. Then why is Bo trying to change his public perception with his fun stuff recently?

Because I think he feels that he needs to re-rally the fanbase. He probably feels that we have too many falsely informed fans with false perceptions of the person he really is as well. I dont really know for sure. Maybe he's just mellowing out as he gets older. I know I have. I'm a completely different and more calm person that I was even 5 years ago. But I seriously doubt he gives a flyin f#*k that KCchris's neighbor or co-worker thinks he's a meany head.

People thought Tom Osborne was a win-at-all-costs woman-hater and still do. But did/does he go on some PR campaign and become concerned with it?

I am not sure I agree with Robsker on this. I think fans that watch college football, real fans of the game, think Nebraska is still Nebraska. I do think that most of them feel that Bo is not the man for this level of a job. He is considered out there, to say the least by most. In honesty, I have seen Saben be as animated, as rude to the press.

Not being a huge fane of Bo, I still have to agree, if he corrects the on field problems, coaching faults, most will quickly forget about his attitude/actions. With improvement on the field, learning his job, which includes dealing with the press, he will lighten up some. We have a guy that wants to win as much as he wants to continue breathing. That is a good thing I think. He has ran a clean program, given the kids life lessons.

We have at least another year with Bo, I am putting my full support behind him this year, but I want to see improvement in certain areas, a lot of improvement.

All the back and forth, no one is going to change their mind. It is like buying a new set of tires, they might not work like you thought, feel the way you wanted them, but you can not afford to throw them away. You keep pressing on until you adapt or they wear out. I think this is the year it goes one way or another. I hope for Nebraska football, it is a great season, if it is, all will be behind Bo. It is not about certain numbers, it is about are you happy with the product on field?

I think a year given totally to support Bo would help. If not I will be ready next year for a change, no matter the cost. Fear is the worst evil. We may have to overcome it. We may not. No one knows, not the nay sayers or the Bobots.

One must confess that the Husker nation --- at least if this poll is reflective and representative at all --- is wildly optimistic and stays hopeful year after year. This is a little like Cub fans still holding out hope that this will be the year. I guess this as a good thing... people staying positive.

Actually, they're not alike at all

Bo's won 70 percent of his games, played in 3 CCGs, and has made the post season every year.

Even being a Cub fan, I don't recall the last time we made the post season or won 70 percent of our games. 10 years ago????

lol

The national perception of Nebraska is that the program isn't winning titles.

Nobody gives two sh#ts where Incognito went to school. If you asked the average football fan where Suh or Incognito went to college how many do you really think would know, or care?

Come on.... I get that Bo isn't Mr. Rodgers, but some of this stuff you guys are really reaching on. I've seen Saban, Dantonio, Miles, Stoops, Harbaugh, Meyer, etc... act like a$$hole$ too, but they get a pass because of rings.

That's absolutely right, saunders, and a great point. If you win enough, you get cut a lot more slack. (Unfortunately....)

All of Bo's behavior would be largely swept under the rug if he had won say, maybe even a couple conference championships, because even people who privately might not think he's the warmest person ever, would have little to say to all that long-awaited winning. That's kinda the reality of it. And it's only because Bo hasn't won at that level that leaves him open to all this other criticism, some of which I'm sure you'll agree is merited.

And at a lot of places, the amount to which Bo has won absolutely would hit that threshold, where they'd be absolutely beholden to him and never let him go. A little bit of Nebraska homerism here perhaps, but I'm proud that Nebraska isn't one of those places. I do acknowledge that even Nebraska would probably put up with the lowest class hypothetical individual if he delivered another National Championship, though.

That's absolutely right, saunders, and a great point. If you win enough, you get cut a lot more slack. (Unfortunately....)

I've never understood this and thought it was the dumbest argument ever. Either his behavior is ok or its not, period.

Paterno harbored a pedophile, but let's cut him some slack, he won a couple of MNCs.

I'm not saying it should be. I'm saying it happens. If you don't believe a NC would silence even the harshest critics about a guy at Nebraska (and let's not go to criminal extremes in this hypothetical), I think you're kidding yourself a little.

Bo has absolutely embarrassed this program time and time again and look at how much we already give that a pass because, well, #9wins.

lol

So our reputation in the 90s was good bc we won championships when we had the same types of players (Peters Bros), maybe even worse human beings than Suh/Incognito (Lawrence Phillips/Thunder Collins) Wow. All about the wins, baby!

Hey, instead of starting a conversation with non-Husker fans about Suh or Incognito, ask them about Rex Burkhead or Prince or Taylor Martinez or Joe Ganz or Ameer Abdullah. Not about how good of a football player they are, but talk about what type of human beings they are. For every bad apple (and you're are kidding yourself if you think every team doesn't have a Suh or Incognito on it) there are at least ten good apples.