Can Bo get it done

Can Bo get "it" done  

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm not taking anything away from the job Osborne did......winning or tying for the conference championship in 4 of his first 10 seasons. I thoroughly acknowledge Pelini has not finished well in the top 25 in his 6 years to date. *snip*

But at Nebraska, being critical of the head football coach is part of it. How was Osborne feeling about things around 1978? And again around 1990?

Yeah, I suppose Osborne took his share of heat, too. But in 1978, he had a top 10 product that wasn't overcoming the neighborhood rivals, who were even better. In 1990, Osborne suffered his second finish outside of the Top 10 in a row (and ever), and had just finished ranked #17/24.

But if I recall, your argument is that the goalposts haven't moved; that they've stood firmly in place.If that's the case, Bo's record should have him deservedly on the hotseat.

• Fire 2

Obviously our ranking under Pelini has not matched what Osborne did. No question there, and the goalposts have not moved. What is night and day different is the state of the program Osbourne took over versus what Pelini did. The good news, or bad news, depending on your perspective, is Pelini is not on the hot seat.

Talent or not, there was not one single player on that 2008 team that had any experience whatsover under any sort of competent coaching that could properly teach them the way to play college football. I think that was pretty obvious, for even with that talent, the defense went from one of the nation's worst the the best inside of two years. Say what you will about talent, but that's coaching. And it's obvious. Oh wow, Bo has to have talent to field a great team. Jeebus frickin kriest. Find me a coach that doesnt. Saban? LOL. His time at Michigan St and Miami tells you all you need to know about his abilities with equal or less talent.

2007 was a train wreck, regardless of why. And Bo fixed it. Very quickly.

Talent or not, there was not one single player on that 2008 team that had any experience whatsover under any sort of competent coaching that could properly teach them the way to play college football. I think that was pretty obvious, for even with that talent, the defense went from one of the nation's worst the the best inside of two years. Say what you will about talent, but that's coaching. And it's obvious. Oh wow, Bo has to have talent to field a great team. Jeebus frickin kriest. Find me a coach that doesnt. Saban? LOL. His time at Michigan St and Miami tells you all you need to know about his abilities with equal or less talent.

2007 was a train wreck, regardless of why. And Bo fixed it. Very quickly.

If its so obvious that you need talent to field a great team, I'm curious as to why there wasn't a premium placed on getting to Nebraska the first few years of his tenure.....

And I wouldn't call 09 or 2010 a "fixed product.". I think we were all thrilled because they seemed to be the first steps to something special. Not evidence to show his system works, and the absolutely shouldn't be the pinnacle.

• Fire 2

fine fine. Not fixed. But jeebus, it was a hell of an improvement

7-7

10-3

5-6

8-4

9-5

5-7

9-4

10-4 (ccg appearance)

10-4 (ccg appearance)

No, not fixed by our standards. But for sh#t's sake..............

Kinda my point. It was a great first few years. But now here we are, Nebraska has languished, the reasons for that are obviously highly debatable, and now those years seem like the salad days. Are better times ahead? Maybe, but a lot of weird hiccups in those two years are now systemic issues that appear to be a trademark of Bo's tenure. It's worth talking about at least as much as how good they could be, because ultimately championship teams don't do what Bo's teams seem to do in the way of ball control and mental discipline.

• Fire 2

7-7

10-3

5-6

8-4

9-5

5-7

9-4

10-4 (ccg appearance)

10-4 (ccg appearance)

Kinda my point.

No. Your point was that Bo had boatloads of talent to work with, that that '07 team just quit (which there was a hell of a lot more to it then that) and to me, that insinuated that Bo didnt have to do much. But you take that train wreck-especially mentally-and immediately turn out a 9 and 10 win season, be seconds away from beating an NC contender in a CCG, shows that Bo really does have the ability. Regardless how stale and stagnant the progress has become over the past 3-4 seasons.

• Fire 1

7-7

10-3

5-6

8-4

9-5

5-7

9-4

10-4 (ccg appearance)

10-4 (ccg appearance)

Kinda my point.

No. Your point was that Bo had boatloads of talent to work with, that that '07 team just quit (which there was a hell of a lot more to it then that) and to me, that insinuated that Bo didnt have to do much. But you take that train wreck-especially mentally-and immediately turn out a 9 and 10 win season, be seconds away from beating an NC contender in a CCG, shows that Bo really does have the ability. Regardless how stale and stagnant the progress has become over the past 3-4 seasons.

According to several of the players, quitting was the main thing. I remember lots of quotes saying that after the USC game,the coaches seemed to pack it in so they did too.

And yes, a change of attitude at the top can be a catalyst for great things very quickly. You're correct and I agree with that. My issue is how he's attempting to maintain it.

Oh good grief......Pelini has only been here 6 seasons. Languished? Being #9 in wins and one of only three schools with 9 wins in each of his 6 seasons may not fall under the category of stellar.....but languished? Please.

By Nebraska's standards, yes.

Championships? Conference or otherwise? This decade?

That'd be 0

Championships? Conference or otherwise? This century?

That's be zero as well.

Appears to me to be more of a Nebraska problem. NOT a Bo Pelini problem.

It's a problem that Bo hasn't solved yet. As of right now, and next season (since he will be the coach next year, as everyone loves to point out lately), it's squarely his problem.