Future looks bright Huskers!

I'd still rather lose in the first round in the NCAA Tourney than be in the NIT right now.

If Petteway comes back, which I really think he will, then we will make the tourney with ease next year. We lose almost no talent, and if Tai can develop in the offseason then this will be a pretty well rounded team. Tim Miles might have to replace his right-hand man in Craig Smith, but even without him this coaching staff is amazing.

why so? Smith has done a good job with this team

He's doing too good of a job. I wouldn't be shocked to see him leave to be head coach elsewhere, unless he wants to stick around for a tourney run or something. He applied for the vacant position at USD, and rumor is the job is his if he wants it.

Apparently he did.

Not only do we return some guys that were key cogs but we add a few other pieces that are vital:

Jacob Hammond: another big.. helps give depth and while no one knows how he will do, he has had a solid basketball season.

They add two guys who redshirted- Tim Wagner and Nick Fuller- These kids can shoot. This is huge that we have true spot/ 3 PT shooters.

You also add Tarin Smith--- smart PG. No one knows what to expect with him.

We have one spot that Robin Washut thinks we will fill with a JUCO or transfer C/PF.

Next year, i think we roll with something like this:

C-PItchford/Smith/Hammond

PF-Rivers/Hammond/JUCO

SF-Shields/Fuller

SG-Petteway/Hawkins/Wagner

PG-Webster/Parker/Tarin Smith

Webster needs to improve the most for us to have a chance. If for some reason Petteway goes to the draft, that will be of major concern as well.

All in all, we add some true shooters. And some age/maturity to Tai/Hawkins.

I would really like to see Petteway take a big step up in basketball IQ next season.

Dude has all the talent in the world, but seems to either let himself be swayed way too much by or not pay any attention at all to the details of the game. The Baylor game is a perfect example - his best strength is slashing and driving to the bucket, which is also the most effective way of attacking a zone defense, and he picked the worst possible time all season to not even try driving and settled for like 6 3-point attempts in the first half.

Comes out the second half, drives to the lane his first two chances he gets and gets two easy buckets. Would have been an entirely different game if he would have just done that 2-3 times that first half.

I would really like to see Petteway take a big step up in basketball IQ next season.

Dude has all the talent in the world, but seems to either let himself be swayed way too much by or not pay any attention at all to the details of the game. The Baylor game is a perfect example - his best strength is slashing and driving to the bucket, which is also the most effective way of attacking a zone defense, and he picked the worst possible time all season to not even try driving and settled for like 6 3-point attempts in the first half.

Comes out the second half, drives to the lane his first two chances he gets and gets two easy buckets. Would have been an entirely different game if he would have just done that 2-3 times that first half.

His shot was off in the last 5-7 games and he kept jacking it up.

He was hitting tough/big shots for a stretch that started Nebraska's run in the B1G and all of a sudden he just got cold and instead of driving, he just kept jacking it up...

Solid point.. He needs to play smart and attack.

I think we need a few pure 3 shooters to truthfully help out depth.

Hopefully Fuller fits that role.

I think his leg was bothering him more than we all know and that probably screwed with his shot.

However, the above points about his selection of shots at very true. He tries to force his game too much at times, and it jacks up the offensive rhythm of the other guys.

I would also love to see TP focus on his ball security. Believe he had the worst assist to TO ratio in the league when compared to guys playing similar minutes. Also he can use a good offseason of hammering home defensive work. He played better team defense as the year went on, but he put himself on the bench far too often in foul trouble for some really bad fouls

If there's something for Nebraska basketball to work on it would be depth beyond the starting five. Great teams have eight or nine guys that can play almost the same level.

The Huskers took major strides forward this year, mainly due to the play of TP and SS.

Now we are going to have some expectations on us. Can we stand up to that? Time will tell, but there is reason for some hope and that's been rare in Nebraska men's basketball for the last 15 or so years.

Webster needs to grow into his own as well. I think my expectations of him were to high coming in but he should get much better.

This team has the nucleus to be a contender in the B1G and could be a team that has a longer stay in the NCAA tourney next year!