Tommy Armstrong - Nebraska QB learns from mistakes

Sean Callahan was on our local sports show yesterday. Was tellin how he had been arguing with some fans on HuskersOnline about Armstrong's spring game performance. He says that in the past not witnessing every practice, his stance may very well be different, but this year after being asked how he could possibly say Armstrong is the guy and he says it's because he's seen every practice, not just one spring game performance. Callahan says Armstrong is the best qb right now, and it's not really close. So I'm pretty content with taking his word on that deal.

Wow....amazing....the theory that people who actually watch practice have more information than someone sitting in the stands or at home watching TV on a Saturday.

Interesting....

Just imagine what the coaches might know that are actually also in meetings with them.

• Fire 1

Sean Callahan was on our local sports show yesterday. Was tellin how he had been arguing with some fans on HuskersOnline about Armstrong's spring game performance. He says that in the past not witnessing every practice, his stance may very well be different, but this year after being asked how he could possibly say Armstrong is the guy and he says it's because he's seen every practice, not just one spring game performance. Callahan says Armstrong is the best qb right now, and it's not really close. So I'm pretty content with taking his word on that deal.

Wow....amazing....the theory that people who actually watch practice have more information than someone sitting in the stands or at home watching TV on a Saturday.

Interesting....

Just imagine what the coaches might know that are actually also in meetings with them.

Better watch what you say, cuz there are are some around here who dismiss anything that the media says because apparently the media are all Bo's pets.

Anyhow, I'm not dismissing the thought that TA is the #1 guy right now. I just shudder at the thought that he IS the best we got, not just due to his spring game performance, but from watching his play last year.

I dont feel Armstrong almost cost us Goergia. I do feel that the 7-1 record he boasts should be adjusted to 6-2 seeing as the most influential thing he did for us against Northwestern was sit on the bench so our 3rd string QB could sling a game winning hail mary.

On a side note, wouldve liked to see him start against Iowa. Ronnie striggled that day.

The team was rolling when the interception happened, and then things kind of started to fall apart after that. But you guys are right, it is the weakest argument I made.

I agree that right now Armstrong is the best option we have at QB.

Interesting....

Better watch what you say, cuz there are are some around here who dismiss anything that the media says because apparently the media are all Bo's pets.

Anyhow, I'm not dismissing the thought that TA is the #1 guy right now. I just shudder at the thought that he IS the best we got, not just due to his spring game performance, but from watching his play last year.

Way too early to make a judgement call on TA either way. Also, if he doesn't work, I am confident we have someone in the program that will do well.

TA couldn't ever win the weakest division in the conference. Actually, he pretty much cost us as chance with his play against MSU.

This being a team game notwithstanding, but Michigan State was a 13-win team last year and out of our three conference losses, the most understandable. One of the top defenses in the country.

Tommy didn't play in double-digit losses to Minnesota and Iowa. I still can't believe I just typed 'double-digit losses' in the same sentence as 'Minnesota' and 'Iowa'.

I've liked what I've seen from TA from the beginning as far as his ability and God given skills go. His decision making last year was questionable. The decision making for any freshman QB thrown into a starting role like that will always be questionable. I'm not sure what the hell some of you expected from a freshman that didn't think he was going to see the field in meaningful snaps last season? That said, the kid went 7-1 and had some damn bright spots last season. Georgia and Michigan come to mind immediately.

Guys, we've been told all spring that Armstrong is head and shoulders the leader at the position. It is said above, the battle is not even close. If anything doesn't that make you excited? Hell, we all saw Armstrong may not have been at his best Saturday, but he wasn't horrible either. But if Armstrong is head and shoulders beating those other two kids Fyfe and Stanton, then damn he must be having a good spring cuz' Fyfe and Stanton didn't look bad at all Saturday.

The job is Armstrongs job to lose, but if I learned anything Saturday, it's that Nebraska now has a consistent competition at QB in the coming years. If Armstrong did not already have 8 games in at starting QB and just a bit of a head start, I don't know of we could say whose job it would be right now.

• Fire 1

Another thing I thought about when watching the game and reading posts here.

I remember reading articles about the spring game during what is considered the golden years. Almost every year, the articles would talk about the defense being better than the offense. This is because it takes time and rep after rep after rep for an offense to get in since with each other while a defense is less like that. This was the case even when we had potent offenses winning NCs.

I'm not going to get worked up over the performance of anyone in the spring game. It literally means nothing.

• Fire 1

TA couldn't ever win the weakest division in the conference. Actually, he pretty much cost us as chance with his play against MSU.

This being a team game notwithstanding, but Michigan State was a 13-win team last year and out of our three conference losses, the most understandable. One of the top defenses in the country.

Tommy didn't play in double-digit losses to Minnesota and Iowa. I still can't believe I just typed 'double-digit losses' in the same sentence as 'Minnesota' and 'Iowa'.

Funny how it's not a team game when Taylor was the qb.

I really just wish we couldve seen that Tommy the media says is unquestionably the starter. Because he looked more like he was nervous and indecissive.

The depth at QB is so outta this world great right now it makes me giddy.

This is what should be focused on. We have real depth at QB. With Stanton and Fyfe looking like competent backups in the wings, there is no reason Beck shouldn't take more chances with the offense and call a less conservative game.

Ooooooooooooooh, burn! Right?

Except for the part where I didn't say that. You did, though:

I'm more interested in conference championships than lesser bowl wins. TM at least got us to 2 CCGs

Gotta disagree. Those were team efforts.
  • Fire 1

I really just wish we couldve seen that Tommy the media says is unquestionably the starter. Because he looked more like he was nervous and indecissive.

The depth at QB is so outta this world great right now it makes me giddy.

This is what should be focused on. We have real depth at QB. With Stanton and Fyfe looking like competent backups in the wings, there is no reason Beck shouldn't take more chances with the offense and call a less conservative game.

Other than on Sunday mornings half the fan base will be complaining because Beck takes too many chances and he needs to be more conservative. After all....all he has to do is run the ball every play between the tackles.

I'm more interested in conference championships than lesser bowl wins. TM at least got us to 2 CCGs, while TA couldn't ever win the weakest division in the conference. Actually, he pretty much cost us as chance with his play against MSU.

Is it really fair to put that much blame on a Rfr. QB that had to start several games into the season and had no real experience?

I'm sorry, but in the situation we had last year (all factors considered), TA shouldn't face much blame at all. Dude came in during a tough situation, played hard, made mistakes and brought us 7 wins. No matter how he got them, he did a good job given the challenges.

The blame should be focused more on youth/inexperience in the defense, receivers dropping balls and fumbling (as a team).

Disclaimer - I was always a supporter of TM and believed the he was *not* the reason we continued to lose big games. I believe it was a variety of factors. I also think Nebraska was still only a 10 win team at best last year even with TM at the helm.

Ooooooooooooooh, burn! Right?

Except for the part where I didn't say that. You did, though:

I'm more interested in conference championships than lesser bowl wins. TM at least got us to 2 CCGs

Gotta disagree. Those were team efforts.

As an fyi, that wasn't directed specifically at you, but to the crowd who declared that the team would never win anything with TM at QB, even though they ignored the fact the the defense, o line, and special teams were inconsistent to bad during his time here.