Tommy Armstrong - Nebraska QB learns from mistakes

The depth at QB is so outta this world great right now

That's a heck of an assumption. It's entirely possible that scrimmage said as much about our depth on defense as anything. Or it's entirely possible that scrimmage didn't have a whole lot to say at all.

I always get a kick out of these post-spring game discussions. Still kind of a shame we never got to see Brion Carnes fully demonstrate his "it" factor on Saturdays.

That's a heck of an assumption. It's entirely possible that scrimmage said as much about our depth at defense as anything. Or it's entirely possible that scrimmage didn't have a whole lot to say at all.

I always get a kick out of these post-spring game discussions. Still kind of a shame we never got to see Brion Carnes fully demonstrate his "it" factor on Saturdays.

I don't think there's a program in the world who would be bragging about depth when a walk-on can make some think he's an option at QB.

That's a heck of an assumption. It's entirely possible that scrimmage said as much about our depth at defense as anything. Or it's entirely possible that scrimmage didn't have a whole lot to say at all.

I don't think there's a program in the world who would be bragging about depth when a walk-on can make some think he's an option at QB.

Yeah, cuz we've never had any walk ons turn out to be any good.

• Fire 1

That's not what I meant or said.

I'm glad that if......-if- Fyfe is needed, appears to be able to play the position.....that's good.

Now, Fyfe winning the starting job outright over two highly recruited prospects? Then they're in territory no D-1 coach wants, and it's exposes either a recruiting or development miss. Likely development.

(Cue the "But Bo can't play for them! They have to get it and want it on their own!)

Yes, but they can be led to that desire. Tom Osborne didn't magically get player after player who could lead, "get it" and want it on their own, they were brought along, coaches and shown the path.

• Fire 2

That's not what I meant or said.

I'm glad that if......-if- Fyfe is needed, appears to be able to play the position.....that's good.

Now, Fyfe winning the starting job outright over two highly recruited prospects? Then they're in territory no D-1 coach wants, and it's exposes either a recruiting or development miss. Likely development.

(Cue the "But Bo can't play for them! They have to get it and want it on their own!)

Yes, but they can be led to that desire. Tom Osborne didn't magically get player after player who could lead, "get it" and want it on their own, they were brogues along, coaches and shown the path.

Why???

Why does something like this have to be an indictment against the coaching staff? Why can't it be that they were able to go into a local area that sees comparably no Div 1 recruitment from outside Nebraska and find a gem of a player and developed him into a play maker?

• Fire 1

I wondered where youve been all day Polo!

Tommy Armstrong Jr.

Ryker Fyfe

Johnny Stanton

Tyson Broekhmeir (right?)

Zach Darlington

And we just got a commit from the big Sweede stud. Guess my optimism is a tad premature since...........um........no, I think Im right to be optimistic.

I wondered where youve been all day Polo!

Tommy Armstrong Jr.

Ryker Fyfe

Johnny Stanton

Tyson Broekhmeir (right?)

Zach Darlington

And we just got a commit from the big Sweede stud. Guess my optimism is a tad premature since...........um........no, I think Im right to be optimistic.

Can't get domestos and bold flavors in the fridge if you don't work, son.

I replied under the assumption of great depth this year, which is maybe true. But yeah I'm hopeful that Darlington can actually play, a lot of people don't seem to think he will ever be healed.

I really just wish we couldve seen that Tommy the media says is unquestionably the starter. Because he looked more like he was nervous and indecissive.

The depth at QB is so outta this world great right now it makes me giddy.

You play against a badass defense that sees you every day in practice and knows what is coming better than any other team you will face all season. That number one defense is a salty bunch. Those guys aren't stupid. They had an idea from the alignments what may be coming. They know the strengths and weaknesses of the guy across from them better than anyone else will all year. (at least we hope). Cut the guy some slack, that defense could just be better than we realize. Maybe they give a few guys fits this year, not just TA.

I really just wish we couldve seen that Tommy the media says is unquestionably the starter. Because he looked more like he was nervous and indecissive.

The depth at QB is so outta this world great right now it makes me giddy.

You play against a badass defense that sees you every day in practice and knows what is coming better than any other team you will face all season. That number one defense is a salty bunch. Those guys aren't stupid. They had an idea from the alignments what may be coming. They know the strengths and weaknesses of the guy across from them better than anyone else will all year. (at least we hope). Cut the guy some slack, that defense could just be better than we realize. Maybe they give a few guys fits this year, not just TA.

I hope thats true. But if thats true Fyfe could be a heisman hopeful. Really hope Tommy has a badass Fall camp and makes the mosst of it.

And Polo I hear ya there. Darlington could be a real gamer, just hope he gets to that point where he can play.

Funny how it's not a team game when Taylor was the qb.

Ooooooooooooooh, burn! Right?

Except for the part where I didn't say that. You did, though:

I'm more interested in conference championships than lesser bowl wins. TM at least got us to 2 CCGs

Gotta disagree. Those were team efforts.

As an fyi, that wasn't directed specifically at you, but to the crowd who declared that the team would never win anything with TM at QB, even though they ignored the fact the the defense, o line, and special teams were inconsistent to bad during his time here.

Well did we win anything while he was here? Why didn't we? Because of the things you listed. You make it sound like most people thought that TM was the only reason we didn't, when that isn't the case. But he is the QB, which makes it his team and him being put on the pedestal. If the team fails, ultimately, he fails.

• Fire 1

Why???

Why does something like this have to be an indictment against the coaching staff? Why can't it be that they were able to go into a local area that sees comparably no Div 1 recruitment from outside Nebraska and find a gem of a player and developed him into a play maker?

That would be just swell if it works out like that. Striking to me is how so many seem so convinced of his abilities after seeing him complete some quick outs and bubble screens against mostly backups in a scrimmage.

That is interesting, I would have used those words to describe Taylor over Tommy. I can't recall ever seeing Tommy appear nervous or indecisive, quite the opposite, he always was calm and decisive.

A big reason I'm so high on Tommy's upside is that the interceptions he threw appeared to be the result of incorrect reads not nerves/indecisiveness or bonehead decisions once the play broke down.The former is much more fixable than the latter. He threw most of his picks with little pressure in his face and within the first few seconds of the play. Incorrect reads are to be expected from a freshman quarterback in his first few starts. Taylor's improvement in that area and command of the offense showed around 2012 and cut down on his nerves much more (2012 MSU was a near flawless performance), but he still had occasional lapses of nerves/indecisiveness once the play and/or pocket broke down (portions of OSU, CCG Wisco and Georgia come to mind). And before you jump on me, I realize that he had pressure in his face constantly. Sirles and Qvale would get beat on the first two steps by any pass rusher worth a lick.

The reason in my mind why Tommy is more advanced than Taylor was at the same point of his career is that Tommy has a much easier learning curve than Taylor did. It's the most noticeable when you look at what each did when the play broke down, it came down to instincts. All Taylor ever knew was that he had to make a play, sometimes it resulted in ridiculous highlight reel runs, but more often it ended in a turnover or a extra yards lost on a sack that otherwise wouldn't have happened had he ate the ball when he knew he was cornered. He's been accurately described as high-risk/high-reward style of player, but more often than not, we ate the risk and not the reward. I've heard complaints about tommy's propensity to float the ball well over the receiver's head but that is smart football, it negates the opportunity for a pick. "Live to fight another down" is something that Taylor never mastered, but it's not all his fault, he was playing against a stacked deck.

He had no help from the defense, shoddy pass protection, and above all he only started playing QB his senior year of HS and never played in the same offense for consecutive years until 2012. That would explain why Tommy appears to be a more natural QB with better instincts and feel for the position, having had more experience playing QB Taylor did at that point. It's not bashing Taylor, it's just reality.

• Fire 2

That is interesting, I would have used those words to describe Taylor over Tommy. I can't recall ever seeing Tommy appear nervous or indecisive, quite the opposite, he always was calm and decisive.

A big reason I'm so high on Tommy's upside is that the interceptions he threw appeared to be the result of incorrect reads not nerves/indecisiveness or bonehead decisions once the play broke down.The former is much more fixable than the latter. He threw most of his picks with little pressure in his face and within the first few seconds of the play. Incorrect reads are to be expected from a freshman quarterback in his first few starts. Taylor's improvement in that area and command of the offense showed around 2012 and cut down on his nerves much more (2012 MSU was a near flawless performance), but he still had occasional lapses of nerves/indecisiveness once the play and/or pocket broke down (portions of OSU, CCG Wisco and Georgia come to mind). And before you jump on me, I realize that he had pressure in his face constantly. Sirles and Qvale would get beat on the first two steps by any pass rusher worth a lick.

The reason in my mind why Tommy is more advanced than Taylor was at the same point of his career is that Tommy has a much easier learning curve than Taylor did. It's the most noticeable when you look at what each did when the play broke down, it came down to instincts. All Taylor ever knew was that he had to make a play, sometimes it resulted in ridiculous highlight reel runs, but more often it ended in a turnover or a extra yards lost on a sack that otherwise wouldn't have happened had he ate the ball when he knew he was cornered. He's been accurately described as high-risk/high-reward style of player, but more often than not, we ate the risk and not the reward. I've heard complaints about tommy's propensity to float the ball well over the receiver's head but that is smart football, it negates the opportunity for a pick. "Live to fight another down" is something that Taylor never mastered, but it's not all his fault, he was playing against a stacked deck.

He had no help from the defense, shoddy pass protection, and above all he only started playing QB his senior year of HS and never played in the same offense for consecutive years until 2012. That would explain why Tommy appears to be a more natural QB with better instincts and feel for the position, having had more experience playing QB Taylor did at that point. It's not bashing Taylor, it's just reality.

Literally an exposition of opinion passed as fact.

Literally an exposition of opinion passed as fact.

Thank you. It's funny how quickly people forgot Taylor was being talked about for a Heisman prior to his Sophmore year, but injuries put a stop to that quickly.

I'd rather take a competent QB than a confident one. Numbers don't lie, freshman to freshman numbers show Martinez was better.

Maybe Armstrong makes a huge jump and becomes the QB we hope he can be. As of now he has proven nothing.