Tommy Armstrong - Nebraska QB learns from mistakes

Me and True have been in the same page about this guy since his first start last year. Hes our guy. Im tellin yall. Hes gonna be special.

I hold the same sentiment

He just carries himself yhe way i wanna see my qb do so. Just ghe way he plays. Hes git aura about him. A certain swagger. Particular leadership qualities that to me are refreshing. I see the team on both sides of the ball reacting to his presence in a manner that i like to see.

I've picked favorite players on my favorite teams since the beginning of time. I like Tommy's skillset, and I like his mentality and confidence. Hes gonna be fun to watch I think. He may make mistakes, but I hope we see the Tommy Armstrong in crunch time that we saw last year. Like the Michigan final play or backed up in our own end zone against Georgia. 7-1 as a freshman, making plays like that already, it can only get better from here.

At some point his accuracy has to get better though. I don't care how much confidence and swag and moves he has, his arm has got to get more precise - last year's passing was serviceable for a freshman but not acceptable going forward. But he has time to improve.

At some point his accuracy has to get better though. I don't care how much confidence and swag and moves he has, his arm has got to get more precise - last year's passing was serviceable for a freshman but not acceptable going forward. But he has time to improve.

Thats where I'm at too.

Thats where I'm at too.

Isn't that where everyone is at? What did he say that the whole world doesn't know? He clearly wasn't great last year. He has to get better. No sh#t.

When I talk about Armstrong and my expectations I'm talking about where I project him to be. Meaning I see things from him that I believe, with practice and teaching, will make him an eventually highly successful QB. Do I expect him to light the world afire next season? Probably not. But I expect improvement on last season. He's the kind of guy that by his junior year, I expect him to be a nationally elite player. That's my expectation. It's not about his swag. Swag doesn't make you great. No, I think the guy has the skills to be great and he has the work ethic and the self motivation to make himself and those around him better.

I fully expect to hear many of you jump his ass every time he makes a mistake next season. He will make them, and you will be there to point it out.

That's fair, and I'm not trying to be negative. Maybe Taylor has me a little leery of depending on big-time player development at that position, IDK. I'm just saying, we only have one data point with this guy, and it was with him being thrown into a season as a redshirt freshman, he didn't perform all that well, and perhaps calling him nationally elite in 2 years is a bit of a stretch. Don't get me wrong, he certainly could get there, but I don't know that it's likely - those are some big-time expectations. Hope he proves me wrong.

That's fair, and I'm not trying to be negative. Maybe Taylor has me a little leery of depending on big-time player development at that position, IDK. I'm just saying, we only have one data point with this guy, and it was with him being thrown into a season as a redshirt freshman, he didn't perform all that well, and perhaps calling him nationally elite in 2 years is a bit of a stretch. Don't get me wrong, he certainly could get there, but I don't know that it's likely - those are some big-time expectations. Hope he proves me wrong.

I didn't say he would be nationally elite in two years. From what I have seen from him, that is my expectation for him, but as we know, expectations rarely mean sh#t. #4losses.

My years of watching Taylor also may have a bit of an effect on my expectations. I didn't like Taylor as a QB. I rooted for him merely because he was a Husker QB. I was constantly let down and I'm glad the track star at QB experiment is over. It didn't do Nebraska or Taylor any favors putting him in that position. So I guess maybe I'm a bit over the top excited to see what a real QB can do in Becks offense. Combined with the talent at RB, I think Armstrongs transition should be smooth until he develops a true level of comfort. He already displays quite a comfort level out there. Hopefully Beck makes that transition as smooth as he can this season. He didn't exactly make it easy for Tommy last year.

He could throw like Tim Tebow all he wants. As long as he provides us with W's I could care less about his accuracy.

Actually, I think his accuracy is fine though. It's his decision making that he needs to work on. He also needs to work on "seeing the field" better before and during each play. Which will then refine and strengthen his decision making.

Tough dude though. Everyone loves playing with him, and that kind of leadership goes a loooong way. I know it's difficult for us to understand, but you don't go 7-1 as a starter by accident. There is just something about the kid that makes the team better. I know a lot could be said about why we won those games, but everyone on the team genuinely loves playing with him.

His accuracy and running ability need to get better. He turns the ball over doing both... He had key turnovers that cost us games (Michigan State) and easily could have (Northwestern). He doesn't make reads properly and tends to lock into one receiver, last year was Quincy. Based on his interception in the Spring game, where he locked into a receiver who was triple covered, this didn't improve over the course of spring practice.

I'm also not blown away by his ability to run or scramble, particularly because he is labeled a duel threat QB. TA has gigantic steps to take in fall camp in order to lead Nebraska to a conference championship.