Kenny Bell and NCAA Reform

Kenny could have left for the NFL last year. No one was stopping him from making money to entertain. But he's still here. He needs to STFU and play football. At this point he's using the Huskers (getting another year to improve his draft stock and make millions) far more than they are using him.

Kenny went from being one of my favorite players to one of my least favorite in a matter of months. Don't let the door hit ya - #entitled

• Fire 2

I've saved my company $1,000,000 in a year as an engineer and didn't get anything. Such is life. At this point if you have a job and can pay the bills you should feel fortunate. I have no fanfare in my sucky job and I don't ask for it. I can feed my kids and have a roof over my head along with a sweet 2006 Nissan Altima to drive to work every day. I have it a hell of a lot better than most folks in this world, and to be honest it makes me sick to see what athletes make.

haha - exactly. i wrote a software package for a small company the owners sold to a fortune 500 and retired. i got a bonus equal to a years salary for building the product (which i'm not complaining about) - and they never have to work again. Kenny's been living in fantasy land for the last 4 years. if he has a problem with his situation it's 100% within his power to change it - by leaving Nebraska. There's the AFL - they pay, or the CFL - they pay, or the NFL - they pay a lot. Pick one Kenny, but as long as you wear red you are accepting what you signed up for.

Kenny Bell's comments are very misguided. I am surprised that he still can't seem to grasp the problem.

This isn't a university thing. This is an NCAA thing. The NCAA wrote rules that made it impossible for a student athlete to make money off of their name and likeness all the while they made billions of dollars off of the same student athlete's names and likenesses.

Kenny Bell's comments are very misguided. I am surprised that he still can't seem to grasp the problem.

This isn't a university thing. This is an NCAA thing. The NCAA wrote rules that made it impossible for a student athlete to make money off of their name and likeness all the while they made billions of dollars off of the same student athlete's names and likenesses.

Kenny could be making all the money his value is worth right now. He chose to be here. End of story. No one is forcing Kenny to be a Husker.

I don't see anything wrong with any of this. They could go to another professional league right out of high school. The NFL has made college their minor leagues, and therefore this is the path that Kenny has to take for at least 3 years. Nothing is keeping him here his 4th though.

It's as much an NFL problem as anything IMO. I'm suprised a billion dollar enterprise is allowed to age discriminate against a potential employee the way the NFL does. I couldn't tell someone they are too young at 20 to be an employee of my company.

Kenny could have left for the NFL last year. No one was stopping him from making money to entertain. But he's still here. He needs to STFU and play football. At this point he's using the Huskers (getting another year to improve his draft stock and make millions) far more than they are using him.

Kenny went from being one of my favorite players to one of my least favorite in a matter of months. Don't let the door hit ya - #entitled

A-effing-men.

I came in this thread to say this exact thing. Well said, my man.

Kenny could be making all the money his value is worth right now. He chose to be here. End of story. No one is forcing Kenny to be a Husker.

I don't see anything wrong with any of this. They could go to another professional league right out of high school. The NFL has made college their minor leagues, and therefore this is the path that Kenny has to take for at least 3 years. Nothing is keeping him here his 4th though.

It's as much an NFL problem as anything IMO. I'm suprised a billion dollar enterprise is allowed to age discriminate against a potential employee the way the NFL does. I couldn't tell someone they are too young at 20 to be an employee of my company.

There is everything wrong with what the NCAA is doing. In fact a court just found that they were in fact wrong. And there are lots of billion dollar industries that don't hire minors. It's nothing new.

And there are lots of billion dollar industries that don't hire minors. It's nothing new.

there are billion dollar industries that don't hire unqualified individuals - be that 18 or 35. but they aren't going to say "I can't hire you, you're only 19" just like they aren't going to say "i can't hire you, you're 67" - there really isn't any difference. that's been an HR no-no since 1967.

And there are lots of billion dollar industries that don't hire minors. It's nothing new.

there are billion dollar industries that don't hire unqualified individuals - be that 18 or 35. but they aren't going to say "I can't hire you, you're only 19" just like they aren't going to say "i can't hire you, you're 67" - there really isn't any difference. that's been an HR no-no since 1967.

The NFL says you have to be out of HS for 3 years. There is no age requirement.

Good info on athletic scholarships at USC, take with a grain of salt since costs are obviously way different between Nebraska and USC....just posted to show what is covered under a scholarship there including summer session information. Off campus living gets a stipend, at USC its under $1,500 so i would assumed Nebraska to be approximately $500 a month, if you are enrolled in classes (including summer session).

http://www.usc.edu/admission/fa/grants_scholarships/undergraduates/athleticawards.html

I haven't looked through what Kenny Bell said, and I don't know the entire extent of his financial situation. However, looking through this thread, I am not a big fan of what is being posted in here. Yes, everyone has the right to share their opinions, but here is what is bothering me with these comments.

1. I wonder if those who aren't a fan of KB anymore, will you guys honestly not cheer or be excited when he scores a TD this season? Are you gonna sit on your hands and not be happy at all?

2. For those who are saying KB is "embarrassing the University", how many of you actually attended and graduated UNL?

3. How many of us did stupid things while we were in college? I know I did. There were weeks when I would win some money gambling on football games, spend that money on something I "wanted", and then might have had trouble a few weeks later to pay certain bills.

4. I also get annoyed when people say "Kenny doesn't even need a scholarship, because his parents are rich." That is the lamest argument ever. Maybe Kenny Bell's parents told him "you better get a college scholarship, because we aren't paying for your college education". Maybe Kenny Bell's dad doesn't have much money left from his NFL days. It's like those who complain about Barney Cotton's kids getting scholarships for the football team, because he should be able to pay for their education.

5. If Kenny gets asked a question, he isn't supposed to answer it? Going to college provides an opportunity to people to get to know themselves and express themselves? College football players aren't supposed to have opinions because they have an "easier life" than I did at that age?

• Fire 2

I haven't looked through what Kenny Bell said, and I don't know the entire extent of his financial situation. However, looking through this thread, I am not a big fan of what is being posted in here. Yes, everyone has the right to share their opinions, but here is what is bothering me with these comments.

1. I wonder if those who aren't a fan of KB anymore, will you guys honestly not cheer or be excited when he scores a TD this season? Are you gonna sit on your hands and not be happy at all?

2. For those who are saying KB is "embarrassing the University", how many of you actually attended and graduated UNL?

3. How many of us did stupid things while we were in college? I know I did. There were weeks when I would win some money gambling on football games, spend that money on something I "wanted", and then might have had trouble a few weeks later to pay certain bills.

4. I also get annoyed when people say "Kenny doesn't even need a scholarship, because his parents are rich." That is the lamest argument ever. Maybe Kenny Bell's parents told him "you better get a college scholarship, because we aren't paying for your college education". Maybe Kenny Bell's dad doesn't have much money left from his NFL days. It's like those who complain about Barney Cotton's kids getting scholarships for the football team, because he should be able to pay for their education.

5. If Kenny gets asked a question, he isn't supposed to answer it? Going to college provides an opportunity to people to get to know themselves and express themselves? College football players aren't supposed to have opinions because they have an "easier life" than I did at that age?

1) Kenny scores a touchdown? You mean when the Huskers score a touchdown. So yes, I will chear.

2) Does it make me less of a fan now because I didn't go to UNL?

3) I didn't drop 2k+ on tattoos through college then not be able to pay my electric bill the following week.

4) Agree.

5) Kenny knows both the reach and the impact his responses have. This isn't some naive little 10th grader. After 4 years he's fully aware of what he's saying. He can have his opinion, and he can deal w/ the repercussions of his opinion.

• Fire 2

1. I am sure everyone will cheer for KB.

2. Someone's attendance is irrelevant to their opinion of how someone is representing an institution.

3. Sure you did stupid things in college. But you didn't go on media interviews and play the "woe is me" card about money afterwards.

4. Point well taken. No one knows KB's true family financial situations.

5. Sure he can answer the question as long as he is painting the whole picture. Right now he is moaning about not having money while bragging about trips and large pieces of body art that cost a lot of money.

• Fire 1

This is why I said what I said. This is embarrassing for him and he doesn't even know it. HELL YES....I did stupid things and said stupid things in college. I bet most people on here didn't do half the stupid things I did in college. BUT, mine wasn't broadcast over the internet for the public to see.

I think back and I am embarrassed about some of the things i did back then. I think when he gets older, he will think back to this and feel the same way.

1. I will be pleased if/when Kenny scores, but seeing how his most famous td he asked the crowd to be quiet I'm not sure if he'd want me to cheer.

2. I graduated from NU in 01. But I'm not sure why that matters.

3. What I did in college is not relevant at all to Kenny Bell and his choices.

4. He certainly earned his scholarship, I just wish at this point he understood what it meant, because he doesn't seem to be too pleased with the terms.

5. He can answer any question he wants, he also gets to be held responsible for what he does. He wants to be paid like an adult, he can be accountable like one.

• Fire 4