Ryker Fyfe = Colin Kaepernick

Oh I wont question the decisions on who gets the start. Its just worrysome since the first time in 4 years we dont really know where our QB situation is. After watching the spring game its hard not to think Fyfe has a legitimate shot. He looked cool and calm. Needs a little polishing but overall pretty solid. I wasnt super impressed with Tommy unfortunately, looked nervous and the defense caused him alot of fits. Stanton looked good. Loving his throwing game but yeah he has some thing to learn yet.

And the fact that the staff has known that we'd need to have a QB ready to take over in 2014 for the last 3 years now. Last year's injury threw Tommy into the fire, but there is no excuses for not having a quality QB this year. I'm not buying the whole "he's young, he's learning thing" - everyone in the world knew we'd need a new QB in 2014. It should be a smooth transition. If it's not, we've got some issues.

I dont think it shocked anybody. Weve been bringing in some great recruits at the position. I think one day Stanton will be a legend but that could be a couple years from now. Tommy looks like hes struggling a bit. I hate to say that. Its just a spring scrimmage though so Ill wait to pass judgement until Fall.

I think coaches who end up winning tons more games than they lose base football decisions on the results of football plays and observations about football players overall. Coaches that ignore the play making ability, leadership and intangible qualities of a player because he wasn't a four-star or wasn't a Parade All American or wasn't recruited by SEC coaches and the like... well, I think they end up being, at the very least, less successful than coaches who recruit, get the players on campus, and then play the best guy... be it walk on or a heralded guy.

I agree that we've known for a long time that we needed a QB going into this year. It is just VERY hard to get a guy ready when you've got a guy in place who is a play maker, an experienced guy and a stud. When that guy graduates, there has to be an open competition and possibly a multiple QB system in place at least for a bit until one QB becomes the clear man. Sometimes that all takes place in the offseason. Sometimes it bleeds into the season.

Let's hope that the QBs we have on the team, save for Darlington (since he can't get hit) will be given EVERY opportunity to win the job and that one of these guys will eventually take the reigns by demonstrating that he has "IT".

In some ways, we are being very impatient on the QB question. Bo has been here six seasons.

When he got here, he inherited Ganz....

Then we had Zac Lee and his injuries and so forth.

Then we had Taylor. Then we had a change in offense.

We've got a bunch of QBs.... TA, JS, AJ Bush, Darlington, RF and so forth. None of them are proven guys. It might have been TA's to lose since he had that bit of experience from last year, but the way I see it, this is an open competition.

And, although I hate to say it, we might not know how this QB situation ends up until the of this season... not the beginning.

It is quite possible that even that prediction is too rosy and the reality is that 2015 starts with Dillon trying to win the job as a true frosh.

I know TA didnt look super on Saturday, but I wont base if he'll be successful next year or not off of a glorified practice. I feel comfortable with him being our QB next year based on what everybody said about his spring as a whole. If you remember just a few years ago there was this guy named Brion Carnes who was going to come in and replace TMart because he had a good spring game. Well as we all know that didnt happen and Martinez became statistically one of the best Qb's ever at NU and that was with a career plagued by unfortunate injuries.

Based on that I trust the staff's judgement on who should start at QB. And I believe that will be TA unless Stanton can learn to make better reads in the zone read game and can get a better grasp on the offense as a whole. I do believe that Stanton will eventually take the spot from TA but not until he has proven capable.While TA may not have the best potential of all the QBs on the roster, he does give us the best opportunity to win, if the season started tomorrow. And with that said, there is still all summer and fall for someone to truly step up and lock the spot up 100%

I think Fyfe really "got up" for the spring game and played fairly well. It's hard to say with the way Tommy looked in the spring game how I truly feel about him at the QB position, but I had some questions about what he did last year, but it was his first time seeing the field last season and he did do some good things. I will say that Stanton just had something about him that I loved, the zip he put on the ball was awesome! I think eventually Stanton will grab the job from TA, just not this year.

Its just worrysome since the first time in 4 years we dont really know where our QB situation is.

And the fact that the staff has known that we'd need to have a QB ready to take over in 2014 for the last 3 years now.

Eh. I think this is a little overblown.

Look at Michigan's quarterback trouble with the several years they had Denard Robinson and knew they would have to replace him.

Or Ohio State's quarterback trouble after having Terrelle Pryor for 3 years.

Texas after Colt McCoy, USC after Matt Barkley, Boise after Kellen Moore, Nebraska after Eric Crouch, etc.

Actually seems pretty commonplace that schools struggle at the quarterback position after a several year starter.

Its just worrysome since the first time in 4 years we dont really know where our QB situation is.

And the fact that the staff has known that we'd need to have a QB ready to take over in 2014 for the last 3 years now.

Look at Michigan's quarterback trouble with the several years they had Denard Robinson and knew they would have to replace him.

Texas after Colt McCoy, USC after Matt Barkley, Boise after Kellen Moore, Nebraska after Eric Crouch, etc.

Actually seems pretty commonplace that schools struggle at the quarterback position after a several year starter.

Yep. The cupboard is full for quarterbacks for now and into the near future. Doesn't mean that they will all automatically be superstars or that a transition to a new starter is easy, but the staff has done its job the last couple years in bringing in quality QB recruits.

As far as Fyfe goes, that's awesome that he showed so well in the spring game, but we should all certainly know that drawing any conclusions at all from watching the spring game is pointless.

If Fyfe were to win the job and....

1. become a star, it would mean that we got a little bit lucky and that our coaches are giving people the chance to prove themselves on the field and are not automatically preferring the bigger names over all.

OR

2. turn out to be an average player, it would mean that the coaches have a problem with recruiting a top tier QB.

Here is a crazy idea, you ready for it?

Maybe we relax a little in discussing how the coaches are doing on recruiting/developing talent because a walk-on played well in the spring scrimmage and maybe just be happy that the kid had a good day?

Why would it be so terrible for him to play well enough to beat these kids out? Why are some so quick to crush or elevate a player based on a spring game?

I am about to pull a 180 with how I feel about this fanbase and our expectations, we can't even for one second allow an in-state kid to have an awesome day with out it making us decide that it is an indictment of the program.

• Fire 3

I think Fyfe really "got up" for the spring game and played fairly well. It's hard to say with the way Tommy looked in the spring game how I truly feel about him at the QB position, but I had some questions about what he did last year, but it was his first time seeing the field last season and he did do some good things. I will say that Stanton just had something about him that I loved, the zip he put on the ball was awesome! I think eventually Stanton will grab the job from TA, just not this year.

You know, as much as I think TA is the real deal, I left the spring game really impressed with Stanton. The guy throws the ball much better than I thought he could and his running ability is obvious.

Ohio State had Braxton Miller. Not exactly struggling in the QB department, even w/ a coaching change. USC had the same coaching issues, and would have been better off had Barkley left early like planned - because Scroggins was lined up for that spot but ended up transferring. Barkley, and Monte Kiffins defense (or lack of one) put a kink in those plans. Texas, obviously had a bust at QB. Boise is Boise, can't expect them to line up replacements to NFL calibre players without issues.

Point is, Bo doesn't have to replace a top-5, future NFL starting QB, former Heisman contender, etc. He's replacing a 20-30ish ranked QB. He's got to find someone that can manage the game (which is what scares me about Armstrong). That's it. And he's known this was coming for a few years now. We don't know if he didn't - it's way to early to tell. But if we're sitting at 6-2 talking again about "freshman" QBs making "freshman" mistakes in late October and using phrases like "wait until 2015" I'm going to be shocked, and discourage, and a little pissed off. We aren't trying to replace a Heisman QB here. He should be able to get a guy in with 3 years notice that can operate the offense effectively. (again, not saying he doesn't have that).

You know, as much as I think TA is the real deal, I left the spring game really impressed with Stanton. The guy throws the ball much better than I thought he could and his running ability is obvious.

Agreed with this. Johnny wasn't going against the 1's, but he looked the part big time on Saturday. If that light bulb clicks on for him in fall camp things could get interesting.

And KC, those were just a handful of examples that I picked out of a proverbial hat - there are many more to be found. You can nitpick them all you want to point out that they aren't the same, but there's a trend of serious growing pains for schools that graduate 3-4 year starting quarterbacks.

And KC, those were just a handful of examples that I picked out of a proverbial hat - there are many more to be found. You can nitpick them all you want to point out that they aren't the same, but there's a trend of serious growing pains for schools that graduate 3-4 year starting quarterbacks.

Like Georgia...oh wait. Or Alabama...oh wait. There's a serious trend of schools graduating Heisman contending QBs that struggle after, I'll give you that. But we aren't doing that. Bo should have this position covered. If mid-way through we find he doesn't, then that's a pretty serious problem IMO. It's only the most important position on the field...he should have it locked up. It's been the most predictable position to recruit for some time now.