PJ Smith talks about Wisconsin blowout

With all the positive momentum this program has we still have threads like this.

. . . what positive momentum?

I believe that our win over Georgia gave us a well-needed boost to end the year.

Yeah, sure . . . I guess? I'd argue that the bowl game in 2009 was a lot more impressive . . . and yet we saw virtually the same season in 2010 as we've seen in every other year.

I'm kind of tired of potential. I'd like to see some results. We've been fairly consistent (for better or worse) but I can't say that I agree that "all of the positive momentum" is applicable. Show me. Less talk, more action. Etc.

How was 2010 virtually the same as the last three years? We had a fantastic defense and a fantastic offense until Taylor Martinez got injured against Missouri. That team could have beat anyone in the country when everyone was healthy. The record might have been similar to the last few years, but the team was not even close.

Momentum is momentum.

Momentum is not results.

If momentum doesn't lead to results why should we care?

I don't think that is what he meant. It's not just having momentum, it's what you do when you get that momentum. That's where you get the results.

First you get the momentum.

Then you get the jobs.

Then you get the khakis,

Then you get the WOMEN.

CCG was a microcasm of Bo's tenure. He left guys in who were blowing it and did not yank them out. Not to bag on Martinez, BUT IIRC, he led the nation in fumbles for 3 years. He did not lose them all, but never sat a down. People have said there is a doghouse (who knows). Last year, IMO, Bo changed and it showed. He played true fresh, he tried to get athletes on the field etc...

Bo spoke at the beginning of the year, again IIRC, that Wisky used the same game plan as they did in the first meeting in which the D did a great job of stopping the sweep. (Hurts that cam moved inside with no depth)That game, we whiffed and whiffed big. Bo has said time and time again (as have players) that the system works great unless one guy doesn't play with in it. It was obvious that is what happened in the CCG. Guys weren't supporting one another. Throw in Borlan abusing Martinez and no one on the OL giving 2 craps and I see a team that had packed it in.

Bo has made strides last year in getting guys on the field, gaining depth, actively in game teaching etc... Recruiting is finally catching up as evidenced by the athletes on the field and depth on DL, LB, RB, WR etc..... Simplified O to allow the game to work for TA etc....

In the days of old, J Peter and Co would have beat someones a$$ who was out to show themselves as an individual. That is the leadership we need. Lewis and Cotton appear to have this as does Mitchell on D. Need VV or RG to get in that mold as well.

I think this year, we see a much better team. It might not show in win/loss column, but it will show in complete games, nastiness, team work, fundamentals and coaching etc.....

Your last sentence lo country rings with me......

I concur....we'll see a much better team next year....a nastier team. A team that WON'T get BLOWN OUT. That is the optimism that I can give to this thread. I can't guarantee that the 4-loss seasons won't continue....but I think we'll see a more competitive team out there. The culture has to change...something has to give....and maybe this new bunch of young bloods on the D and offense can elevate this team to great competitiveness and possibly a conference title in the future.

How was 2010 virtually the same as the last three years? We had a fantastic defense and a fantastic offense until Taylor Martinez got injured against Missouri. That team could have beat anyone in the country when everyone was healthy. The record might have been similar to the last few years, but the team was not even close.

4 losses. No conference championship. The model of consistency.

CCG was a microcasm of Bo's tenure. He left guys in who were blowing it and did not yank them out. Not to bag on Martinez, BUT IIRC, he led the nation in fumbles for 3 years. He did not lose them all, but never sat a down. People have said there is a doghouse (who knows). Last year, IMO, Bo changed and it showed. He played true fresh, he tried to get athletes on the field etc...

Bo spoke at the beginning of the year, again IIRC, that Wisky used the same game plan as they did in the first meeting in which the D did a great job of stopping the sweep. (Hurts that cam moved inside with no depth)That game, we whiffed and whiffed big. Bo has said time and time again (as have players) that the system works great unless one guy doesn't play with in it. It was obvious that is what happened in the CCG. Guys weren't supporting one another. Throw in Borlan abusing Martinez and no one on the OL giving 2 craps and I see a team that had packed it in.

Bo has made strides last year in getting guys on the field, gaining depth, actively in game teaching etc... Recruiting is finally catching up as evidenced by the athletes on the field and depth on DL, LB, RB, WR etc..... Simplified O to allow the game to work for TA etc....

In the days of old, J Peter and Co would have beat someones a$$ who was out to show themselves as an individual. That is the leadership we need. Lewis and Cotton appear to have this as does Mitchell on D. Need VV or RG to get in that mold as well.

I think this year, we see a much better team. It might not show in win/loss column, but it will show in complete games, nastiness, team work, fundamentals and coaching etc.....

Didn't Bo put Zac Lee in against Texas in 2010 and Taylor and his father go ballistic?

I'd say you're on point with Valentine being that guy. Gregory is likely gone after this year and VV is a good example of re-motivating himself with positive results.

With all the positive momentum this program has we still have threads like this.

. . . what positive momentum?

I believe that our win over Georgia gave us a well-needed boost to end the year.

Yeah, sure . . . I guess? I'd argue that the bowl game in 2009 was a lot more impressive . . . and yet we saw virtually the same season in 2010 as we've seen in every other year.

I'm kind of tired of potential. I'd like to see some results. We've been fairly consistent (for better or worse) but I can't say that I agree that "all of the positive momentum" is applicable. Show me. Less talk, more action. Etc.

Except we couldn't even beat a 5-7 Texas team in our own stadium prior to Taylor getting hurt. So I'm not so sure we could have beat anyone in the country.

• Fire 1

Didn't Bo put Zac Lee in against Texas in 2010 and Taylor and his father go ballistic?

I'd say you're on point with Valentine being that guy. Gregory is likely gone after this year and VV is a good example of re-motivating himself with positive results.

Did VV remotivate himself or did Bo do a good coaching job of motivating him?

Obviously it's both, but if you want some credibility here, at least acknowledge that some are responding well to Bo's leadership.

Obviously it's both, but if you want some credibility here, at least acknowledge that some are responding well to Bo's leadership.

Some of course will. I just think more would if more of an effort were made from the coaching staff instead of just hoping they "get it"

The trend lately has indicated that solid Husker drafts stay i.e. Crick, Suh, Prince. I hope he stays, but if he has a killer junior season....he may be gone. The dude is special player and could have an even better year in 2014.

The team absolutely sucked in one game before Taylor got injured, yet they only ended up losing by seven. If that would have been 2011-13, it would have been a blowout in favor of Texas. The 2010 could beat anyone when Taylor was healthy. It was a matter of whether or not the offense would actually show up.

lo I hope you are spot on. I have thought the same this year. I honestly will be happy with a team that plays together, works for the win, and if they somehow do not happen, I can live with it. I want to see development, I was encouraged by the last part of the season. Getting the talent we have on the field is what is important, getting reps, learning the system under live fire. It did show some growth of our coaching staff. That is needs to continue.

• Fire 1

Some of course will. I just think more would if more of an effort were made from the coaching staff instead of just hoping they "get it"

How in the world can you even know or quantify this statement?