PJ Smith talks about Wisconsin blowout

lo I hope you are spot on. I have thought the same this year. I honestly will be happy with a team that plays together, works for the win, and if they somehow do not happen, I can live with it. I want to see development, I was encouraged by the last part of the season. Getting the talent we have on the field is what is important, getting reps, learning the system under live fire. It did show some growth of our coaching staff. That is needs to continue.

+1

You asked a question. I answered.

You didn't ask if the 2009 bowl game was more impressive or how it is related to potential. I don't disagree with your rhetoric, but don't move the goal posts.

It wasn't moving the goal posts. It was pointing out that momentum from a good bowl win doesn't seem to amount to much.

(See my next post for why I think that matters.)

I think the 2 games can't be compared when it comes to momentum going into a new season

The difference between 2009 bowl win momentum and 2013 bowl win momentum is the team coming back. You look at the defense in 2009 at the great players that were senior or juniors that year and it's amazing the talent compared to the freshmen and sophomores that were behind them.

Now....look at the Freshmen and Sophomores last year compared to the Juniors and Seniors. The talent level has completely flip flopped compared to 2009.

I believe that is where the momentum is going to be in a much more upward trend after last year's bowl win compared to 2009.

The difference between 2009 bowl win momentum and 2013 bowl win momentum is the team coming back. You look at the defense in 2009 at the great players that were senior or juniors that year and it's amazing the talent compared to the freshmen and sophomores that were behind them.

Now....look at the Freshmen and Sophomores last year compared to the Juniors and Seniors. The talent level has completely flip flopped compared to 2009.

I believe that is where the momentum is going to be in a much more upward trend after last year's bowl win compared to 2009.

This is a good point. Also after the 2009 win, we started a freshman at QB and he was injured. And so was the backup. Plus we lost Suh and there is no replacing a guy like him.

At least after this bowl win the starting QB is going to presumably start this coming season. I think that means something.

I think the 2 games can't be compared when it comes to momentum going into a new season

Maybe. All I'm saying is that the past results show a strong trend and I disagree with the notion that there is a lot of positive momentum around the program.

We look to be stuck on the exact same plateau that we've been on for years.

Maybe. All I'm saying is that the past results show a strong trend and I disagree with the notion that there is a lot of positive momentum around the program.

We look to be stuck on the exact same plateau that we've been on for years.

Well, we've won a bowl game for the first time since 2009. We've also got a top 10 recruiting class, a roster that appears to have a bunch of young talent, and Bo has loosened the reigns on the program.

Other than that, nothing has changed.

• Fire 4

Well, we've won a bowl game for the first time since 2009. We've also got a top 10 recruiting class, a roster that appears to have a bunch of young talent, and Bo has loosened the reigns on the program.

Let's wait and see, eh? I suspect that the results will be awfully similar to what we've been seeing.

And you? You make it sound awfully promising . . . so do you expect Nebraska to have a significantly different season next year? Or do you expect similar results and different excuses?

carlfense, I see things being a little different, better play, somewhat better talent hitting the field, a coaching staff that woke up to the fact that talent is needed. I do not see a top ten class in the future though, my guess is that it will drop as others start filling their classes. We have a few good kids on board, but last weekend Bama made a huge haul to move to first and it is not even close. But when you spend the money they spend on recruiting, dedicate the time to it, you can see those results.

As to wins and losses, it should be better. I am not convinced we have a CC team here, and definitely certain we do not have a playoff team. I see the overall being similar as we will end up losing a game that will really hurt us in conference, and end up with an also ran SEC team in our bowl game.

But I do think the play and attitude will be better.

Evidence that the head coach makes a difference in recruiting. Penn State is number 2, getting kids that still can not play in a bowl game. Pretty remarkable.

Let's wait and see, eh? I suspect that the results will be awfully similar to what we've been seeing.

And you? You make it sound awfully promising . . . so do you expect Nebraska to have a significantly different season next year? Or do you expect similar results and different excuses?

I'm just stating the main differences between this offseason and the past 3.

I haven't really given much thought or research into how I think the season goes yet.

carlfense, I see things being a little different, better play, somewhat better talent hitting the field, a coaching staff that woke up to the fact that talent is needed. I do not see a top ten class in the future though, my guess is that it will drop as others start filling their classes. We have a few good kids on board, but last weekend Bama made a huge haul to move to first and it is not even close. But when you spend the money they spend on recruiting, dedicate the time to it, you can see those results.

As to wins and losses, it should be better. I am not convinced we have a CC team here, and definitely certain we do not have a playoff team. I see the overall being similar as we will end up losing a game that will really hurt us in conference, and end up with an also ran SEC team in our bowl game.

But I do think the play and attitude will be better.

Evidence that the head coach makes a difference in recruiting. Penn State is number 2, getting kids that still can not play in a bowl game. Pretty remarkable.

I don't think that we have a CC team here either and given our schedule, that's disappointing.

Nearly every off-season we've had some fluff argument about a different attitude, new talent, a revamped approach, simplified playbooks, new coordinators, increased athleticism, etc. etc. etc.

The reasons for optimism have varied considerably. The results have not.