PJ Smith talks about Wisconsin blowout

How is it decided that several of Pelini's senior veterans playing outside of Pelini's system is no fault of Pelini's?

How is it not his responsibility to, ya' know, coach the team?

Probably because a majority of those seniors Bo didn't recruit. They would have been from the 2008 class that Bo was just trying to keep together and not actually recruiting for.

I can't tell from the way it is written, but this post is just being facetious, right?

With all the positive momentum this program has we still have threads like this. Clemson got absolutely shellacked just like we did in a big game. They rebounded pretty nicely. That game was not the end of the world. PJ even talks about how far the program has came in the leadership and accoutability department since then.

• Fire 1

You can call me a troll all you like, you wanted to make the reference I replied to. If you want to justify players tuning the coaches message out in conference championship game in year 5 of said coaches tenure, I'm all ears.

If we're pretending that's the real reason NU got 70 dropped on them who everyone was watching.

If that's what you take away from what I posted, I really have nothing to say. Well...

That dude needs to get over it. It was one loss. If he can't, then he should grow as a person.

This has nothing to do with how good a parent he might be. I have nothing but disdain for you. You are truly a horrible person and I will have nothing to do with you. I also won't let you goad me into a ban.

There is a block button here right?

Yeah, for this program, and Bo's tenure, it was far more than one loss.

Take your thoughts about me, with your grain of salt and martyr cross, and do what you like. I've made it this far in this world without your approval and I feel confident I'll be fine without them still

Good day.

I lol'd.

So, is no one going to answer zoogies question?

If it's not on the coaches to assemble and mold a group of guys into the proper skill level and mentality required of a competitive team, who is it on?

Of course it is on the coaches. That doesn't mean it's a linear process with a roadmap to success. Even the most successful teams struggle with it.

If it's not on the coaches to assemble and mold a group of guys into the proper skill level and mentality required of a competitive team, who is it on?

Of course it is on the coaches. That doesn't mean it's a linear process with a roadmap to success. Even the most successful teams struggle with it.

It also doesn't mean the coaches will succeed with every player in every situation. Even Osborne's almighty mid-90's teams had players that didn't always do the right things all the time..

It also doesn't mean the coaches will succeed with every player in every situation. Even Osborne's almighty mid-90's teams had players that didn't always do the right things all the time..

Blaspheme.....Ban him....

I can only speak from my on experience as a HS coach. It is very hard to beat a team 2x in the same season. Even when one team is very superior to the other. My team always played 1 team twice a season once early and once late. Over a 15 year span I would say we split those 2 games at least half the time. One year we were the far superior team and still lost the second game because the players did not have the right mental attitude going into the game.

A coach will do every thing they can to have a team prepared for a game. They will do every thing possible to make sure the players know the game plan and are physically and mentally prepared. But with that said, every coach goes into every game wondering even if just a little, if the team is ready to go. You never truly know until they game starts and even them things can change dramatically though out the game.

You work as hard as you can to prepare your team, but there is still a certain amount of uncertainty going into every game. It is just the way it is. You are dealing with human beings and we are very unpredictable things.

I can only think of three times Nebraska played a team twice in one season. Nebraska lost all three second games. And, yes....one was during the TO era.

OU was one, we won the regular season and lost the rematch in the Orange Bowl. Texas was another in 1999, lost the first but won the rematch in the Big XII title game. Wisconsin obviously. Washington is another in 2010, won the 1st and lost the 2nd. All four instances resulted in a split.

We should have pulled the guys who werent properly executing their assignments. Okay, but werent we about as thin as it gets? I think we were just trying to keep the most talented guys on the field that werent injured. Depth was a serious issue that year and injuries piled up like pringles. (Cue recruiting issues)

Indeed, but not nearly to the degree we're discussing in this thread. But as long as we agree it's on the coach, we're in agreement here.

Honestly it's on the team as a whole. The coaches can only do so much to put them into a position to succeed, and it is possible they did not instill the right mentality into the team. The players are also responsible for their actions on the field. When it comes to this specific game, we had so little depth at that point (key injuries on the defensive side) that we really had no one else to put in the game in order to bench these guys.

One thing to take away from this game, Bo changed how he dealt with assigning play time. Going away from relying on experience and putting talent on the field. It got us the defense we had last year, some growing pains to start the season and a top 5 unit at the end.

And this is the exact reason I still support Bo. We had a horrible game in that CCG, he made fundamental changes to how he runs the team after the fact that showed on the field the next season. There is a chance that in the future we will look back on that game as the turning point that brought the program back. Our rock bottom (well, as rock bottom you can get with a 4 loss team).

I can only speak from my on experience as a HS coach. It is very hard to beat a team 2x in the same season. Even when one team is very superior to the other. My team always played 1 team twice a season once early and once late. Over a 15 year span I would say we split those 2 games at least half the time. One year we were the far superior team and still lost the second game because the players did not have the right mental attitude going into the game.

A coach will do every thing they can to have a team prepared for a game. They will do every thing possible to make sure the players know the game plan and are physically and mentally prepared. But with that said, every coach goes into every game wondering even if just a little, if the team is ready to go. You never truly know until they game starts and even them things can change dramatically though out the game.

You work as hard as you can to prepare your team, but there is still a certain amount of uncertainty going into every game. It is just the way it is. You are dealing with human beings and we are very unpredictable things.

You get right outta here with all of that real experience and truth hooey, we all know that uniformed opinion is all that matters here.

We also know the the players have NO responsibility in this, it's all on the coaches.why would anyone want to listen to the perspective of a guy that was actually there, or another former player, our uninformed opinions trump that garbage.

God forbid that Stafford would have been benched and someone else who wasn't as good replaced him. Could you imagine the uproar?

And this is the exact reason I still support Bo. We had a horrible game in that CCG, he made fundamental changes to how he runs the team after the fact that showed on the field the next season. There is a chance that in the future we will look back on that game as the turning point that brought the program back. Our rock bottom (well, as rock bottom you can get with a 4 loss team).

It must all be a matter of perspective, I guess. The "next season" after that CCG was actually a worse season.

There are reasons to be optimistic, but the results of this so-call turning point have not been fully revealed yet.