What's the most controversial loss you've seen for Husker football?

crouch.jpg

This will ALWAYS live with me. I was in middle school and there was tons of hype. I was young and used to winning these types of games. I know we have had more heartbreaking games, but this will always stick with me.

GODAMMIT that picture has always pissed me off. Thanks a lot cg_8!

16b7c8ca-ae5a-49ea-9daf-58f82979b505news.ap.org_r620x349.jpg?75d51d0aea2efce5189afce216053cbc530c46a8

I still remember when this happened. I was pissed. No flag thrown. If I remember right, we actually had a player try to get the guy off Burkhead and not sure if our guy got flagged or not? It's amazing how refs can see some of the most minuscule bullsh#t calls sometimes, but A.J. Klein tries to rip of Burkheads head for a good ten seconds and 'oops', we missed that.

The 83 orange bowl popped into my mind first. Going for 2 is repectable and questionable.

Without a doubt the most frustrating and angry I've ever been watching Cornhusker games were the aTm and Texas losses. We couldn't get out of our own way and the B12, I'm 100% convinced , were not letting us win. Go watch the games again, there were more than 8-10 plays in each game where we got the sharp end of the stick.

In the 93 FSU game I believe it was, their RB dove over the top on the goal line and clearly fumbled the ball. We recovered, but they did not award us the ball, the next play they scored I believe.

Also, the Flea-kicker game we won agaisnt mizzery was pretty controversial. It is absolutely agaisnt the rules to kick a ball to a team mate to advance a ball in play. That's all I have to say about that.

16b7c8ca-ae5a-49ea-9daf-58f82979b505news.ap.org_r620x349.jpg?75d51d0aea2efce5189afce216053cbc530c46a8

I still remember when this happened. I was pissed. No flag thrown. If I remember right, we actually had a player try to get the guy off Burkhead and not sure if our guy got flagged or not? It's amazing how refs can see some of the most minuscule bullsh#t calls sometimes, but A.J. Klein tries to rip of Burkheads head for a good ten seconds and 'oops', we missed that.

Greg Burke's crew of asshats

• Fire 1

There was a flag on that one. Think it was unnecessary roughness (please correct me if i'm wrong) on our linemen who defended Rex. But nothing called on A.J. even from the ref who was standing a few feet away staring at A.J. twisting Rex's head around.

Greg Burke's crew of asshats

wasn't Greg Burke's crew also the same ones that reffed the Texas A&M game of 2010 and Oklahoma State. Where we are still the only team in Big 12 to have a player kicked out for targeting?

-The questionable second put back on at the end. Not just because it was iffy on the video but because it was a questionable video all together. How easily they slapped a makeshift game clock on the replay make me think things weren't as they appeared.

Was it even within the rules to review the clock at that time? I thought they changed the rule because of that game, far after the fact.

I fully anticipate a "aww geez get over it" retort, but that's not what this post is about. I am over it. I'm just curious if what the refs did right there was actually within the rules.

Can anyone expand on this?

At the time as I remember searching the internet for the rule and it was in the rule book at that time. The only thing I question is that in this certain instant it was reviewed and the second was put back on. However since that time there have been multiple instances where an extra second or two have come off the clock, with no coach questioning it or even a replay being conducted by the officials.

This is what I found for last years rule book:

Miscellaneous

ARTICLE 5. Situations that may be addressed by the replay official:

a. The number of players on the field for either team during a live ball.

b. Clock adjustment and status when a ruling is reviewed.

c. Clock adjustment at the end of any quarter. (Exception: Rule 3-2-5-b)

If at the end of any quarter the game clock expires, either during a

down in which it should be stopped by rule when the ball becomes dead or

following the down upon a request for an available team timeout, the replay

official may restore time only under these conditions:

1. The replay official has indisputable video evidence that time should have

remained on the game clock when the ball became dead or when the

team timeout was granted;

2. In the second and fourth quarters only, the team in possession when the

ball became dead would next put the ball in play from scrimmage (not

the try);

3. In the fourth quarter only, either the score is tied or the team that will

next snap the ball is behind by eight points or fewer; and

4. The replay official’s video evidence includes the timeout signal by an

official in the case where the game clock should have stopped for a

requested team timeout.

Source

The 93 Orange Bowl against FSU blows anything Texas related out of the water. As been mentioned, the stakes of that game make it so. Someone mentored William Floyd's fumble at the goalline, was ruled a touchdown on that play and the ball was coming out while was a yard out of the Endzone, but I just keep watching Corey Dixon's punt return looking for the block in the back . All these years later I still haven't found it. Accountability is also deeply involved in this witch hunt. Two calls missed, 14 point swing.

That 99 Texas game his a chord as well. That game probably cost NU a title. However the fumbles played a bigger role than a really crappy missed call on that catch.

The ones that have been mentioned the most are definitlely high on my list - 2010 A&M, 2009 Texas, 1982 Penn State, 1994 OB FSU. Another I would add (although probably not at quite the same level) was 1989 Colorado (if I remember the year correctly). That was the one with multiple clips on Colorado's big punt returns, and if I remember correctly, an absolutely horrible pass interference call on Nebraska near the goal line after a 3rd down stop. Colorado won 27-21.

I also think the 1991 Colorado game should be mentioned for all the snowballs being thrown at Nebraska's field goal kicker on the last play. Why was no flag thrown for that? I realize that was a tie rather than a loss, but it felt like a loss when it happened.