Beer sales in Memorial Stadium?

I have started to see some Twitter chatter about this being something that the Big 10 teams look into. Minnesota already does it, Illinois is looking into it. Northwester and Penn State have said "no way"

What do you guys think?

First, I think that the chances of Nebraska doing this, right now, are slim. I think it will start with basketball and then in a few years maybe I could see it at Memorial stadium.

I do think that SE wants to do it...but I think TO hates the idea and still has some influence on the idea.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/100850/b1g-ads-discuss-alcohol-sales-at-games

Interesting quote from the AD at Illinois: "We have a lot of 11 [a.m.] football games and I go to our campus town area and I always stop at Starbucks around 8:30 or 9 o'clock before I show up at the stadium," Thomas said. "There's already a line out most of our student bars. I'm not sure that's a great field test, but ..."

That's probably the last thing we need in the stadium to be honest. It's a nice time to sober up a bit as well if you've been at the tailgate too long before kickoff.

On the flip side, some people probably get blasted so they can keep a buzz the whole game. Maybe now they could go a little easier and not get so messed up.

• Fire 1

I suppose you could have some sections be "beer free" still...

I think I would sell wristbands, those bands would be 20 dollars and "verify" that you are 21...then with that wristband the beers would cost 3 dollars each.

The information from Minnesota said that they average .3 beers per person.

That's probably the last thing we need in the stadium to be honest. It's a nice time to sober up a bit as well if you've been at the tailgate too long before kickoff.

On the flip side, some people probably get blasted so they can keep a buzz the whole game. Maybe now they could go a little easier and not get so messed up.

Very true. I doubt I'd buy beer in the stadium anyway because it'd probably be $8 or $9.

The thing about selling alcohol is that it doesn't make a difference to 99% of the people, but the 1% ruins it for everybody.

That is probably a good way to put it. I know that lots of people are like "I don't understand why you have to be wasted to watch a game"

Well, most of the fans that drink are not WASTED...they are having a few drinks. Its a very small % that are wasted and ruin things.

I made it to 5 home games last year and between the bars and tailgating I did not see one person "ruining" things, so like Landlord said, i think its a very small%

Could see this happening as they continue to battle the infamous TV set

This is a good point. I think it'll get push-back but it'll probably happen some day. Husker football doesn't battle TV sets as much as some but there are still quite a few seats available for next year.

Oh....there's nothing like taking your kids to a football game and sit two rows in front of three drunk idiots that can't say a simple sentence without yelling an F*** bomb.

It was such a pleasure.

And being that Nebraska football games are a big family event for many people, I would think this would be a big factor.