Eichorst statement on Bo

Did anybody else see the segment about Eichorst comments on CFL live last night. (I honestly dont know why I watch it, almost every second of the show sucks)? The so called analysts tore Bo apart for his temper. And it is honestly such BS. It all boils down to the fact that he has yet won a conference championship or a MNC. They sit there and talk about how Eichorst probably shouldn't trust Bo, but in all reality Bo is no worse than Saban, Kelly, or Hoke! Hell imo he is 10x the coach Hoke is!

Then they say that Nebraska wont be competing for a conference title anytime soon, and that it will be between Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan St. Ok well first of all I would like to think that we are in better shape than Michigan is right now, and OSU and MSU are in the same division, so in all reality it will be either us or Wisconsin almost every year from the west, which means we have a very good shot at being in the ccg every year. And honestly idk if Wisconsin will keep up the level they have played at for much longer.

They are not a traditionally great program and programs similar to them dont seem to be able to sustain the level of success they are having consistently for more than 5 to 10 years before they fall back to mediocrity.

I like to think that we are in a pretty good place by having Bo Pelini as our head coach. We may not be in the running for a MNC every year, but we seem to graduate alot of kids, the teams gpa is pretty good, and he is succeeding in turning boys into fine young men when they leave. If that is doing a good job then what the hell is?

• Fire 3

Did anybody else see the segment about Eichorst comments on CFL live last night. (I honestly dont know why I watch it, almost every second of the show sucks)? The so called analysts tore Bo apart for his temper. And it is honestly such BS. It all boils down to the fact that he has yet won a conference championship or a MNC. They sit there and talk about how Eichorst probably shouldn't trust Bo, but in all reality Bo is no worse than Saban, Kelly, or Hoke! Hell imo he is 10x the coach Hoke is!

Then they say that Nebraska wont be competing for a conference title anytime soon, and that it will be between Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan St. Ok well first of all I would like to think that we are in better shape than Michigan is right now, and OSU and MSU are in the same division, so in all reality it will be either us or Wisconsin almost every year from the west, which means we have a very good shot at being in the ccg every year. And honestly idk if Wisconsin will keep up the level they have played at for much longer.

They are not a traditionally great program and programs similar to them dont seem to be able to sustain the level of success they are having consistently for more than 5 to 10 years before they fall back to mediocrity.

I like to think that we are in a pretty good place by having Bo Pelini as our head coach. We may not be in the running for a MNC every year, but we seem to graduate alot of kids, the teams gpa is pretty good, and he is succeeding in turning boys into fine young men when they leave. If that is doing a good job then what the hell is?

Which guys on CFL?

And that in his opinion, Bo's job was never in jeapordy, which is why Shawn never addressed it. That he was quite ignorant to all the speculation swirling until it blew up to a point that it was literally affecting performance. Cant say I disagree. The team and staff as a whole appeared to play that Gator Bowl with a mindset that they got to take a breath after the statement of support.

I can't believe this after the statements post Iowa. I agree they played the Gator bowl knowing they had a job next year. If they didn't get fired post-Iowa there was little to nothing that would get them fired post-Gator. But there is no way he was ignorant to the speculation. And maybe in Shawn's eyes Bo's job wasn't in jeopardy, but it was obvious after Iowa Bo didn't share that same security. Shawn screwed the pooch royally on that one. If he'd fired Bo post-Iowa, I'd say he handled the situation perfectly - didn't show support for a coach that he didn't support - only to can him at season's end. But if you're going to keep Bo after everything that happened Thanksgiving weekend, it's absolutely ridiculous not to show your support before that. What could it possibly hurt if you know you're keeping him? If he was 100% keeping Bo, it could do nothing but help. Instead he watched Bo act like a clown and THEN showed support. Both guys lost that battle. Both looked like amateurs. Bo certainly didn't help Shawn with his actions. Shawn certainly didn't help Bo with his.

Yeah, I was talking about Shawn possibly being ignorant to the swirling speculation, which was fueled by his constant silence to begin with.

Anyone who pays any sort of attention whatsoever to anything Husker football would know that Bo was not ignorant to the chitter chatter. And I'm pretty sure I pay just enough attention to qualify in that category. :rolleyes:

Which guys on CFL?

I didn't catch their names, it was a bald black guy and two white guys ( I realize that probably helps zero but that's all I got)

I have tried to be very positive on Bo and the program this year. I see things that make me feel that way, but the PR crap just seems like that to me. I do not see other head coaches being shown in this light on National TV. I could be wrong on that part, but I would just rather he be himself and if it gets posted fine. Eichorst is a lawyer, about the same level as realtor and whale sh#t for me. Two of them I seldom believe anything they say, and the other one doesn't say much.

I have tried to be very positive on Bo and the program this year. I see things that make me feel that way, but the PR crap just seems like that to me. I do not see other head coaches being shown in this light on National TV. I could be wrong on that part, but I would just rather he be himself and if it gets posted fine. Eichorst is a lawyer, about the same level as realtor and whale sh#t for me. Two of them I seldom believe anything they say, and the other one doesn't say much.

Actually, we get quite a bit less recognition in the national media than most. Not relevant and such.

Which guys on CFL?
I didn't catch their names, it was a bald black guy and two white guys ( I realize that probably helps zero but that's all I got)
Ah, Rod Gilmore. Guy's a tool.

I would say Eichorst is doing his job. Doesn't help recruiting, to not back up your coach. I do think, he thinks, he has the right guy, for this program. Bo has yet to take that next step, but he is able to get us there to try, on a pretty consistent basis That's a lot better than about 8 or 9 other B1G teams can say.

Bo is from a small town, a country type guy. Fits the mold of much of Neb. I don't see him leaving for greener pastures, unless the OSU job was offered.

I hope he can take that next step in the next two years, and stick around for a long while.

GBR!!!

Some of these conversations are kind of silly in my estimation.

Is Bo a good person?

I can't even believe that this is being debated. What we know of Bo is what we view through the public prism. I see no reason to believe that he's anything but a good person.

Is Bo a good coach?

You don't get to where Bo has gotten without being a good coach. He comes from a good coaching tree and has had success at multiple places. He knows his stuff.

Is Bo a hot head or a jerk?

No. He's neither. We all know that Bo is ultra competitive and that he wants to win and be successful. There should be no debate on this issue. When off the field, Bo has done more that enough to prove that he's not a hot head generally speaking. He has had many many many good encounters with Husker fans. And I think he has fun with some of the PR stuff, like the soldier and wife reunion thing. And the Twitter cat thing and the list could go on and on, all the way back to the My Carlfriend is back t-shirt gimic of year one or two. When Bo gets on the field and the action heats up, his temper heats up, particularly if he believes that we are getting the shaft out there. I appreciate his passion and only wish he would dial it back a notch or two or walk away before he gets to that other level of pissed. I appreciate that it's hard for him to do that, in part because my temper can get away a bit in high intensity situations too.

Will Bo be successful here?

I think, by many standards, he has been successful. I believe we were competitive in every single game last year, even UCLA. That was simply a tale of two halves. It happens. Other games were close. Iowa pulled away in the second half, but we were competitive. Bo has yet to get the Huskers to take that next step.... win the conference title, but his level of success warrants more time and he is getting it. The only reason that there was even talk of firing Bo last year was because of the way things went down on the sideline and in the press room after Iowa.

What would it take for Bo to get fired?

If Bo has a losing season or a .500 season, he won't keep his job. I think Tom articulated that standard as AD and I think SE will apply that standard. That being said, I simply don't see us having a losing or .500 season. We've got a good team here. Maybe good enough to win the conference title this year or next year. I am hoping we break through and then all this Bo talk can go away.

You make a lot of good points in your post, I won't disagree with most of it. Even if the PR stuff is manufactured, I think it's all right, and I'm not that much of a Pelini fan, but I think it's good stuff for him or the program to do.

Is Bo a good person? Yes.

Is he a good coach? Yes, but not a great one.

Is he a jerk? No way.

Is he a hothead? Yes, of course he is. He always has been, and even though he works hard to suppress it and does a lot of good things. It still comes out. His hotheadedness is one of his most profound traits.

What will it take to get fired? After surviving the Iowa mess, it's going to take a hell of a lot for him to get fired, I think. He might be here forever.

As the buy out drops his longevity will be determined. Too much money last year, most likely still too much this year. He continuous to see improvement like the last half of last year, he will weather the storm. If or when Bo is replaced, there will need to be a very selective search to bring the spilt fan base back together. Last year was about money, a major booster still firmly in his corner. Currently I do not see that changing. May not be as steadfast as 7 years ago, but still sees Bo as his man. Only time will tell.

Personally, I think we see marked improvement this year, possibly even getting off the four loss level. But if not, I still think there will be enough growth by the staff/head coach and the team, that he will improve his stance. Good men, sound foundation, academic accomplishment, is hard to throw away.

Too young, not enough experience, too loyal, too much control/micro managing should become plusses this year. He has learned what he needs to do, must perfect it and he will move from being a average to good coach, to a much better one, IMHO.

You are saying if his buyout had been 1-2 million, there would not have been a chance of him being gone. Uninformed comments on message boards are not where these comments were being made. IF he had not received a very important vote of confidence, and possibly the refusal to pony up for the minimum of 10 million, by the time you pay him off, his staff and hire the new one. Pretty big stepping stone. His wins are fine, his losses are more of importance. Not the numbers, but to the level of teams and by scores.

I still attribute it to him not being even close to being qualified for this level of a job. His stubbornness and his loyalty. Initially these were problems, but due to his steadfast desire to build his own program, with his men. He has been given that opportunity, more because of his positive movement and replacing one the worst coaches in Nebraska history. I think his dedication to developing good young men and placing academic standards high on the list have helped him more than the magical 9 win season. Granted had he not been winning the 9 games a year, his term might have been cut short.

My information, does not come from inside the walls of the program, it comes from a very powerful booster, and he is still firmly in Bo's corner. But if that ever changes, there are some that are not happy with the results so far, that it could end. In honesty I do not expect it to end. It would take some major failures, and I think Bo has learned enough for that not to happen.

He may very well turn out to be a great coach, one of our best, but still way too early to think that. I just want him to succeed, Nebraska to truly be relevant in college football. I think we will know this year if that is in the cards.

As the buy out drops his longevity will be determined.

Actually winning is what has and is determining his longevity far ahead of any alleged buyout. I'm sure we don't need to revisit how coaches with Pelini's record don't get fired.
This is what i dont understand. Folks act like were taking a chance on someone whos went 6-6 or 7-5 a couple times. Weve won 9 or 10 games all 6 years under Bo-one just as many times as the other- won our division outright 3 times and are a simple few points from multiple conference championships. Yes it has to be better but some need to realize that it hasnt been nearly as bad as they want to perceive it.

Actually winning is what has and is determining his longevity far ahead of any alleged buyout. I'm sure we don't need to revisit how coaches with Pelini's record don't get fired.
This is what i dont understand. Folks act like were taking a chance on someone whos went 6-6 or 7-5 a couple times. Weve won 9 or 10 games all 6 years under Bo-one just as many times as the other- won our division outright 3 times and are a simple few points from multiple conference championships. Yes it has to be better but some need to realize that it hasnt been nearly as bad as they want to perceive it.

I'll just counter that some of the bad times... were really bad.

I'll just counter that some of the bad times... were really bad.
But i thiught it was being based on wins and losses.