Bowe Bergdahl- POW or Deserter?

I've been unavailable for a few days so please forgive me. I find it appalling that this thread has devolved into a he did/she did political muckraking instead of maintaining oa focus on the men who died attempting to rescue this POS. For those of you whom participated in this, you should be ashamed of yourselves...

Please show me the bonafide evidence that backs up the claims that these men died as a direct result of looking for Bergdahl. I find it appalling that you would call a member of our armed forces a POS before you even hear his account of what happened, and before an official investigation into his capture is completed.

Have you read this entire thread? I clearly stated above that a classified document exists regarding the investigation. He did desert. Men did die looking for him. Indisputable facts, period. He is, in fact, a POS. Get over your outrage.

Oh well, since you said it exists, then sure. Clearly EVIDENCE. Don't bother providing a source. Not necessary. Hang the bastard!

• Fire 1

I've been unavailable for a few days so please forgive me. I find it appalling that this thread has devolved into a he did/she did political muckraking instead of maintaining oa focus on the men who died attempting to rescue this POS. For those of you whom participated in this, you should be ashamed of yourselves...

Please show me the bonafide evidence that backs up the claims that these men died as a direct result of looking for Bergdahl. I find it appalling that you would call a member of our armed forces a POS before you even hear his account of what happened, and before an official investigation into his capture is completed.

Have you read this entire thread? I clearly stated above that a classified document exists regarding the investigation. He did desert. Men did die looking for him. Indisputable facts, period. He is, in fact, a POS. Get over your outrage.

Yes I've read this entire thread, and nothing you have said is an indisputable fact. At least none of them are facts that the public is privy to at this point. In all likelihood he did desert, but there are no official sources that sight these men dieing as a direct result of looking for Bergdahl.

Oh well, since you said it exists, then sure. Clearly EVIDENCE. Don't bother providing a source. Not necessary. Hang the bastard!

Was trying to reply to this on my table and it wasn't cooperating., my apologies for the double post.

I really don't care if you believe it or not. The document is classified meaning its not available for public consumption. Period. You seem to be intent upon proving your point, whatever that may be but I'm not biting. Get on with your bad self though while you completely derail the thread.

Yes I've read this entire thread, and nothing you have said is an indisputable fact. At least none of them are facts that the public is privy to at this point. In all likelihood he did desert, but there are no official sources that sight these men dieing as a direct result of looking for Bergdahl.

Everything I said is fact. Choose to believe it, or not. Your call, really...

Was trying to reply to this on my table and it wasn't cooperating., my apologies for the double post.

I really don't care if you believe it or not. The document is classified meaning its not available for public consumption. Period. You seem to be intent upon proving your point, whatever that may be but I'm not biting. Get on with your bad self though while you completely derail the thread.

I'm not derailing anything. You've declared something as an unequivocal fact, yet not provided evidence for it. That's my point. If it isn't meant for "public consumption" then how did you see it or know it exists? Do you have access to classified information? And if you do, why are you posting about it on an internet message board? Or are you just trying to sound important after you read something on some other website? If you want to post something as "fact" you should absolutely back it up with sourcing. If you can't because it's classified and not meant for us to read, you probably shouldn't be posting it to begin with. The end.

• Fire 1

Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl has declined to speak to his family after five years in harsh captivity that included being held in a cage after one attempted escape, according to a U.S. official familiar with the Army soldier's recovery.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/u-s-official-sgt-bowe-bergdahl-has-declined-to-speak-to-his-family-1402242356?tesla=y&mg=reno64-wsj&url=http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304315504579612170444661860.html

I'm not derailing anything. You've declared something as an unequivocal fact, yet not provided evidence for it. That's my point. If it isn't meant for "public consumption" then how did you see it or know it exists? Do you have access to classified information? And if you do, why are you posting about it on an internet message board? Or are you just trying to sound important after you read something on some other website? If you want to post something as "fact" you should absolutely back it up with sourcing. If you can't because it's classified and not meant for us to read, you probably shouldn't be posting it to begin with. The end.

I can assure you I am not trying to sound important nor have I divulged anything classified. I've seen it mentioned in an article, so the information it out there. Now that he is back in the U.S., I suspect the document will be declassified at some point and a new investigation may be conducted. I'm trying to provide information that the media is slow to, if they do at all. The dude is no hero and he is no POW. He deserted. Even his own platoon mates are coming out saying the very same thing. I'm focusing on Bergdahl's actions, and the cost of his actions. I could give a sh%t what the politicians have to say about it.

Here: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/06/world/asia/bowe-bergdahl-walked-away-before-military-report-says.html?hp&_r=0

I can assure you I am not trying to sound important nor have I divulged anything classified. I've seen it mentioned in an article, so the information it out there.

Then link to it. Because now I'm thinking: CNN article? Bob's House of Conspiracies Newsletter? How am I to know how much stock to put into it if you don't source it?

Based upon some of the comments in this thread, I get the impression that one or more of you are/were SOF. Is this impression correct?

Nope, but there are some things that just don't make sense...

Ain't that life?

I can assure you I am not trying to sound important nor have I divulged anything classified. I've seen it mentioned in an article, so the information it out there. Now that he is back in the U.S., I suspect the document will be declassified at some point and a new investigation may be conducted. I'm trying to provide information that the media is slow to, if they do at all. The dude is no hero and he is no POW. He deserted. Even his own platoon mates are coming out saying the very same thing. I'm focusing on Bergdahl's actions, and the cost of his actions. I could give a sh%t what the politicians have to say about it.

Here: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/06/world/asia/bowe-bergdahl-walked-away-before-military-report-says.html?hp&_r=0

Thanks for providing the link. Now let's compare statements. First yours (emphasis mine, pay special attention to the "without a doubt" statement):

A classified document exists detailing an investigation into this that was conducted immediately upon his disappearance. That investigation found, without a doubt, that he deserted. All the talk of him being a POW is bs. He is a deserter. He left his brothers to join the enemy. He was supposed to be manning a guard post but instead, dumped all of his sensitive items, grabbed a compass, a diary, a knife and some water and proceeded to walk away. These are facts. I know dudes that had boots on the ground the next day whom were intimately involved with both the investigation as well as the recovery efforts. Another fact; men died, unnecessarily, looking for this POS. He neither deserves, nor will he get any sympathy from me. He is an enemy sympatyhizer, plain and simple. He deserves to be tried and punished and, now that all this feel good bs has blown up in the admins collective face, he will be. They will have no choice. Since we are not technically at "war," he won't be eligible for the firing squad. Too bad, really...

Next, from your article. Hardly the conclusive report that you made it out to be (emphasis mine):

The roughly 35-page report, completed two months after Sergeant Bergdahl left his unit, concludes that he most likely walked away of his own free will from his outpost in the dark of night, and it criticized lax security practices and poor discipline in his unit. But it stops short of concluding that there is solid evidence that Sergeant Bergdahl, then a private, intended to permanently desert.

• Fire 1

I think you also have to question the motives of someone who is leaking the contents of a classified document that the public won't probably see any time soon, if ever. Right now this seems like a situation where Obama was going to be criticized for doing the wrong thing regardless of what he did.