Colleges Forcing Christian Student Groups to Allow Non-Christians as Leaders

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/10/us/colleges-and-evangelicals-collide-on-bias-policy.html?_r=0

In a collision between religious freedom and anti-discrimination policies, the student group, and its advisers, have refused to agree to the college’s demand that any student, regardless of his or her religious beliefs, should be able to run for election as a leader of any group, including the Christian association.
Similar conflicts are playing out on a handful of campuses around the country, driven by the universities’ desire to rid their campuses of bias, particularly against gay men and lesbians, but also, in the eyes of evangelicals, fueled by a discomfort in academia with conservative forms of Christianity. The universities have been emboldened to regulate religious groups by a Supreme Court ruling in 2010 that found it was constitutional for a public law school in California to deny recognition to a Christian student group that excluded gays.

I am hardly ever one to voice anything as far as Christians not being treated fairly in America, but this just does not make any logical sense to me.

Why would it not make sense for a Christian group to appoint Christian leaders? Isn't that the nature of all self-organizing and self-identifying organizations? The same way that the president of the United States has to be a United States citizen, and the same way that the members of a college student senate need to be students that attend the school?

I feel like idelogical organizations, whether they are political or religious or philosophical, should be able to protect themselves from what essentially comes down to trolls. It would be absurd for people of faith to take over an atheistic club, for jews to be in leadership of a muslim group, or for democrats to take over a young republicans group.

I don't get it.

should be able to run for election as a leader

I don't see the harm in that. In fact, it seems silly for the Christian groups to disagree. It's doesn't sound like they are being forced to elect them, just to allow atheists to run.

/Also: OP, you no good with the quotes. Use your little toggle switch my man. :lol:

Edit: That's better. lol

This one is a head-scratcher. There's no problem with forcing them to accept non-Christian members, but the leadership should be Christian. Having it otherwise would be like having a Democrat run for President on the Republican ticket. Makes no sense.

It seems that our right of association would allow any group to be free to set the standards for their group. Why would an atheist want to be in a Christian group? One good: To learn about Christianity as a seeker

Another bad: to subvert the group.

From OP

handful of campuses around the country, driven by the universities’ desire to rid their campuses of bias

It seems we are getting into thought and speech policing here. Colleges are said to be the bastion of free speech - this is true as long as it is liberal free speech. If a Christian organization's theology is contrary to

the liberal thought police it is now called 'bias" or "homophobic" or some other derogatory term. This is all about thought control. If the liberal leaders of these univs really believed in free association and free speech, Christian groups (and others of the polar opposite) would all be able to organize and run their group as they seem fit to do as long it no laws are violated and their activities are legal (no terrorist groups allowed).

A recent movie has been in the theaters which is somewhat related: "God is NOT dead" It is based on the numerous religious freedom lawsuits won by Christian groups fighting the thought police of liberal univ/colleges.

That's dumb.

What's to prevent, say, Democrat college students from joining the Young Republicans in droves, then electing a Democrat as the club leader? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of the Young Republicans club, and infringe on their right to do... Republicany things?

There's a difference between like-minded people getting together for structured fun and camaraderie, and hateful, biased groups doing stupid stuff.

Although, if I were a student at that college, I'd immediately start seeking admission to the hottest sororities on campus. If any student can join any group or organization, that's only fair, right?

That's dumb.

What's to prevent, say, Democrat college students from joining the Young Republicans in droves, then electing a Democrat as the club leader? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of the Young Republicans club, and infringe on their right to do... Republicany things?

There's a difference between like-minded people getting together for structured fun and camaraderie, and hateful, biased groups doing stupid stuff.

Although, if I were a student at that college, I'd immediately start seeking admission to the hottest sororities on campus. If any student can join any group or organization, that's only fair, right?

Omega Mu, right?

I can see the argument that if you want to use the school's name, funding, and resources, you should be required to not have discriminatory policy (although I imagine the leadership pool will be very self-selecting, anyway...)

Knapp raises a good point about sororities. Do those operate under the same heading, though? i.e, does the Greek system use university funds or are they separate entities.

Meh, this is a non-issue, really. Your organizations obviously aren't going to elect someone that doesn't represent their values or isn't truly one of them (e.g. Young Democrats voting a pro-GOP org leader, a Christian org voting for an atheist org leader), and as far as I can tell, the entire campus doesn't vote for these positions--just those specific members of the group.

Of course, the "Christian Persecution Complex" makes this a front-page issue of Defcon Wharrgarbl signifigance.

Also, FTFA:

At most universities that have begun requiring religious groups to sign nondiscrimination policies, Jewish, Muslim, Catholic and mainline Protestant groups have agreed, saying they do not discriminate and do not anticipate that the new policies will cause problems."

So, in reality, you have different religious groups that are able to agree, but a subset of Persecuted Christians is pitching a hissy fit?

To quote the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer..."What a bunch of a-holes".

Your organizations obviously aren't going to elect someone that doesn't represent their values or isn't truly one of them (e.g. Young Democrats voting a pro-GOP org leader, a Christian org voting for an atheist org leader)

You may be right, but it's possible *if* anyone who wants to join an organization is allowed to join.

If that's the case, and you have 50 Young Republicans and 100 Democrats join the club under those rules, why couldn't they elect a Democrat to club president?

Meh, this is a non-issue, really. Your organizations obviously aren't going to elect someone that doesn't represent their values or isn't truly one of them (e.g. Young Democrats voting a pro-GOP org leader, a Christian org voting for an atheist org leader), and as far as I can tell, the entire campus doesn't vote for these positions--just those specific members of the group.

Of course, the "Christian Persecution Complex" makes this a front-page issue of Defcon Wharrgarbl signifigance.

I mean I don't necessarily disagree although I think it opens up the door for possible sabotage if any bored group of students gets ornery enough, but the non-issue argument goes both ways.

If it's a non-issue to allow it to happen it should also be a non-issue to let it slide in logical circumstances.