Tea Party vs. the GOP Establishment

Just something funny that I noticed- Some of the same people who claim Reagan was a terrible president because he ran up our debt, also complain whenever a tea party person vows to hold the line on increasing the debt. IDK, strikes me as funny.

That's not why he was a terrible president. No, that's why it's hilarious that Republicans think that he was a great president.

Do you actually think that he was terrible?

“I don’t know where we go now as a party. I’m very concerned that we may go all the way to the right, following Ted Cruz and the shutdown congressmen, and marginalizing us as a responsible governing party,” Rep. Peter T. King (R-N.Y.)

Surprisingly candid. We're at an interesting place.

I'm pretty darn liberal, but I often find myself rooting for moderate republicans (or the idea of them at least) even more so than many democrats.

Even though I identify with liberal causes and policies, we need a rational balance on the other side to preach fiscal conservatism and hawkish foreign policy (or whatever) for the purposes of having honest debates on the issues (even on social issues, for which I am very strongly on the left, ideas still need to be challenged to make sure we are putting good thought into our policies). Compromise needs to be a big part of that, even rational people and parties can disagree but still need to find ways to get stuff done.

Tea Party types are often irrational, and treat compromise like poison. Even if their ideas were sound, that is still a bad thing.

I say the "idea" of Moderate Republicans because I'm having trouble thinking of many right now that haven't been marginalized or silenced. It seems odd, very odd, that the two most reasonable Republican candidates for President the last time around were both Mormons (Huntsman and Romney), which can be considered to be a very wacky religion, but the "religion" of far right lunacy has otherwise taken over waht used to be a respectable political party.

“I don’t know where we go now as a party. I’m very concerned that we may go all the way to the right, following Ted Cruz and the shutdown congressmen, and marginalizing us as a responsible governing party,” Rep. Peter T. King (R-N.Y.)

I'm pretty darn liberal, but I often find myself rooting for moderate republicans (or the idea of them at least) even more so than many democrats.

Even though I identify with liberal causes and policies, we need a rational balance on the other side to preach fiscal conservatism and hawkish foreign policy (or whatever) for the purposes of having honest debates on the issues (even on social issues, for which I am very strongly on the left, ideas still need to be challenged to make sure we are putting good thought into our policies). Compromise needs to be a big part of that, even rational people and parties can disagree but still need to find ways to get stuff done.

Tea Party types are often irrational, and treat compromise like poison. Even if their ideas were sound, that is still a bad thing.

I say the "idea" of Moderate Republicans because I'm having trouble thinking of many right now that haven't been marginalized or silenced. It seems odd, very odd, that the two most reasonable Republican candidates for President the last time around were both Mormons (Huntsman and Romney), which can be considered to be a very wacky religion, but the "religion" of far right lunacy has otherwise taken over waht used to be a respectable political party.

I agree with you that with almost every policy that is proposed there needs to be an opposing side that causes it to be debated.

I'm still trying to figure out how the tea party members in Virginia found enough time in the day to vote for Brat. I figured they would have been too occupied shooting cops and planning their next step for anarchy.

As opposed to all the liberals shooting up schools and pushing for a commie state? What an ignorant stupid post.

• Fire 2

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2014/06/11/oklahoma_tea_party_candidate_scott_esk_supports_stoning_gay_people_to_death.html

Tea Party state house candidate Scott Esk endorsed stoning gay people to death: “I think we would be totally in the right to do it,” he said in a Facebook post. Esk went on to add nuance to his position:

"That [stoning gay people to death] goes against some parts of libertarianism, I realize, and I’m largely libertarian, but ignoring as a nation things that are worthy of death is very remiss."

Ladies and gentlemen... THE TEA PARTY!!!

(But you know, both sides do it)

• Fire 1

Yep, I think the party needs to find a good governor to back who has accomplished something. So far the vocalists - Cruz, R Paul, Rubio haven't accomplished much outside of talk. The primaries could be a run a way freight train. While I vote conservative, I don't want a political hack from the right any more than I want a political hack from the left.

By the way, I don't think the tea party had actually supported the guy who beat Cantor. I think this guy won on his own.

Just something funny that I noticed- Some of the same people who claim Reagan was a terrible president because he ran up our debt, also complain whenever a tea party person vows to hold the line on increasing the debt. IDK, strikes me as funny.

That's not why he was a terrible president. No, that's why it's hilarious that Republicans think that he was a great president.

Do you actually think that he was terrible?

Terrible? Too strong. More like "not good" and "terribly overrated based on partisan fanboyism and nostalgia." His economic policy will greatly hurt the majority of Americans for decades to come.

I'm still trying to figure out how the tea party members in Virginia found enough time in the day to vote for Brat. I figured they would have been too occupied shooting cops and planning their next step for anarchy.

As opposed to all the liberals shooting up schools and pushing for a commie state? What an ignorant stupid post.

Quit trying to knock commies down to the level of liberals.

Yep, I think the party needs to find a good governor to back who has accomplished something. So far the vocalists - Cruz, R Paul, Rubio haven't accomplished much outside of talk. The primaries could be a run a way freight train. While I vote conservative, I don't want a political hack from the right any more than I want a political hack from the left.

By the way, I don't think the tea party had actually supported the guy who beat Cantor. I think this guy won on his own

They didn't.

http://benswann.com/lotfi-dear-tea-party-on-cantors-loss-you-didnt-build-that/

I have many Republican friends who feel very similar. They hold many conservative views, but hate that the party has drifted so far to the right. One of my good friends really hates some of the anti-science tones in particular.

• Fire 2