A Candid Conversation With Nebraska Offensive Coordinator Tim Beck, Part 3

http://www.cornnation.com/2014/7/3/5844508/nebraska-football-offensive-coordinator-tim-beck-interview-3

CN: This question is born from working with your daughter as a volleyball coach, and working as a teacher. When there is speculation about the coaching staff's job status with the University as there was a fair bit last year, do your kids see that, and what effect does that have on them?

(Note: Tim Beck's kids are 17 and 14 years old.)

TB: Everything that happens has an effect on them both. When we lost to Wisconsin, bad, my daughter didn't want to go to school on Monday. I had to force her to go to school because she knew she was gonna get razzed and picked on. So, it's not just that, it's everything.

They know when we win, it's a good week. When we lose, it's a bad week. (Laughs)

I've had to have a talk with her and my son about this is where you're at. You're in a place that you're publicly looked at constantly, and people are going to say things about your dad that aren't true and I think that the best thing.

My wife, the same thing. I've told her not to get on the blogs and follow and do those types of things because all it does is make her mad. We're not allowed to comment on any of them anyway. It becomes really hard when you can't defend yourself and it's a nameless, faceless person calling you names or saying things about you or doing whatever.

It's different, and I try to explain to them, what matters is the people that matter. If my boss was saying those things about me, I'd have issues. Then it would hurt me. If my college was saying that about me, I'd have issues.

But a random guy who's just voicing his opinion because his favorite team lost, I do that. I watch the game, and then I get mad about what a stupid call that was, whatever, we all do that. I don't blog about it, but I (chuckles) but I say it, so it does, it affects them and it- it's sad.

I posted this separate because it deals more with his personal thoughts on life and the media. I don't think it's right that his family gets harassed because of the game results.

I am not going to bash the guy's character, but I have not been a fan of his play calling for the past two seasons. Was his style effected due to injuries? I don't know, but this year will show what type of Coordinator he is. I still don't think he is the guy for us, but in this case, I hope he comes out and kills it. This is one time where I wish I eat crow.

I think it would be other kids picking on them. It generally takes kids a while to grow up and become "human." If they weren't being picked on about the huskers losing, then it would be about their big nose, buck teeth, big butt, short stature, last name, etc. kids are ruthless and will use anything to gain a little power over the other. The only difference for the coaches kids is that their relationship to the program can be a benefit on one day and detrimental on the next. Seeing that it is an asset 9 times out of 13/14, no one should be worried too much, unless the parents get involved.

Probably are some kids that spew a bit if crap at Becks kids when we lose a game. A few kids.....

You can't tell me they are completely treated like outcasts by any sort if majority, or even a number of kids worth mentioning. Probably just a few idiots who take it all WAY too seriously much like their mother or father probably do. It seems this staff talks a lot about that little minority of crap fans we have. Not much focus on the good stuff. Beck could have said yea, they get a bit of razzing, but only from a few kids, for the most part other kids seem to get it, and they have good friends here in school. Could we agree that is most likely the case? I would find that more believable than I would believe they are harassed to extremes that ruin their week. If that truly is the case, then that's too bad, but I doubt it highly.

I also don't like how he says "we are in a place where you're looked at constantly". You're not in a place where that happens Coach, your in a position where that happens. You can change the location for the rest of your life, but as long as you hold the Offensive Coordinator position, you will be constantly looked at. It's a profession that I believe he chose? There's always other work out there, much lower in pay, but far less scrutinized. I hope if things get too difficult for him or his family, he is willing to walk away, for their sake.

Lots of misplaced focus on the wrong issues. I kind of see that translated on the field as well though.

• Fire 2

Glad to see that you try to twist the words around, over-analyze, and twist this into a negative. He was asked a specific question and he answered it. I don't understand how you can speculate that this translates onto the field.

The guy states that his kids get so much crap, that they don't want to go to school. Making it seem like EVERYONE is attacking them. This is the EXACT same mentality some of our players have. "Its us against the world" attitude, and it has been said quite a few times during the season. Kenny Bell comes to mind on who said this. I see exactly where True is coming from.

This WHOLE conversation (part 1,2, and 3), have been a complete joke and honestly an embarrassment. I seriously asked myself after reading this crap "I really can't believe we have this clown coaching our kids".

"The game's become more athletic. It's almost basketball on grass." -Tim Beck

Dumbest f'ing thing I have ever heard.

• Fire 4

I'm sorry but I really think you guys are reading way too much into what he said. He never said they were getting picked on by everyone, nor did he even insinuate it. And with the whole "basketball on grass" analogy, yeah it was probably not the right words to use, but he also has a point and it's a valid one. No football hasn't reached basketball on grass level, but every year that goes by it is getting closer and closer.

Pace of play is faster, which is contributing to a more continuous flow than 15-20 years ago. He's not wrong.
Saban cries about it yearly., his quote may be the dumbest f'ing thing I've ever heard.

"I don't care about getting blamed for this. That's part of it," Saban said. "But I do think that somebody needs to look at this very closely.

"The fastball guys (up-tempo coaches) say there's no data out there, and I guess you have to use some logic. What's the logic? If you smoke one cigarette, do you have the same chances of getting cancer if you smoke 20? I guess there's no study that specifically says that. But logically, we would say, 'Yeah, there probably is.'"

I can think of another connection between smoking and up-tempo offenses that Saban doesn't mention: all the cool kids are doing it. You want to be cool, don't you? Of course you do, everybody wants to be cool.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/eye-on-college-football/24469237/saban-compares-up-tempo-offenses-to-smoking-cigarettes?v=1&vc=1

Glad to see that you try to twist the words around, over-analyze, and twist this into a negative. He was asked a specific question and he answered it. I don't understand how you can speculate that this translates ont

Pace of play is faster, which is contributing to a more continuous flow than 15-20 years ago. He's not wrong.

The St. Louis Rams used to brag that their Greatest Show on Turf was basketball on turf. Find something legit to complain about. People complain that our coaches dont open up in the media enough. They do and you say they are stupid. Let's give them some leash. The only thing that matters is the record this season. Win 11 and they are great. Lose 4+ and they are terrible.

• 3 months later...

I'll add my voice to the general thought that it's BS to harass the coaches, their families, or the players for what goes on in games. The players are college students, the coaches' families are innocent in all this, and even to harass a "grown man" coach in public is ridiculous. It's a game and people take this stuff way too seriously.

But let's look at what Beck said here. His daughter didn't want to go to high school because she'd get razzed. In her instance, the razzing comes from her dad being a football coach. If she was Bob Jones' daughter, they'd razz her about her hair, or her car, or whatever other nonsense kids razz each other about. I wasn't a coach's kid and I got picked on in High School. Probably 90%-95% of us did - it's part of growing up.

It's not OK that kids harass each other. But it's natural, and it would happen to young Miss Beck if she were young Miss Jones. And she would still have days where she didn't want to go to school.

Let's not read too much into this. Kids razz kids. Her's just happens to be about football.

Also, maybe it's just because we're Nebraska fans, but this seems to come up here more than other places. But I dont know. Since we're not a top 10 or 5 program the national media doesnt talk about things that happen here much. We just hear about it on a more local level. For instance, what kind of news woulda the Avery Moss or Banderas incidents be on ESPN had we been a top 10 team with legit NC expectations to start the year? yes, #relevant.....

With that said, I imagine these things go on at lots of places, if not everywhere. I wonder what kind of grief some like Mark Richt's family has caught over the years as he continues to come up short. Brady Hoke's? Will Muschamp's? Now, this doesnt make it all right, cuz it's not. But it seems to come up here more. Now, is it because our fanbase in general is regarded as so classy all the time, that instances like these seem to be such a shock to the system? Or is it really just another "whiner" situation with a coach?

Also, I listened to the interview. i dont recall Beck saying anything about it. Sounds to me like it was something that just came up in an off-the-record convo. Which leads to my next question. If it was private, why is it being brought up?

But yes Knapp youre right. Kids beeing razzed (i like that word by the way) in school about this is not something to get in a gruff over. It's gonna happen regardless. Now grown people harassing the family in public, that would be stupid.