McKewon picks West Division winner, (hint) it's not Nebraska

Once again, I ask why? I'd consider Iowa over Wisconsin with the scheduling. Wisconsin has a completely new defense for all intents and purposes...all new receivers (including tight ends)

How is it again they're just going to dominate everyone? I think they are going to be underwhelming this year.

In fairness, "new" doesn't necessarily mean "crappy." I fully expect Wisconsin to get rocked by LSU at the start of the year, but in the conference schedule they catch an enormous break, with Nebraska and Iowa in the last 3 weeks, so their defense is going to have a lot of time to gel under fairly favorable conditions. Their only tough conference game before that is at NW, who they always beat like a drum.

Looking at conference schedule only, since that is all that matters for these purposes, Iowa and Wisconsin have the same schedule. Nebraska's is tougher, only because of the one game at MSU. It's hard for me to agree that Iowa could win the division... because they are Iowa. But I don't believe that Nebraska will either. I have HUGE reservations about the QB situation. Tommy is a decent player. He's confident and the players seem to love him, but unless we are going full on triple option offense of the 90s, there has to be another QB on the roster who's better suited to run Beck's "multiple" offense. Or there has been a massive failure at QB recruiting.

Wisconsin seems to be the favorite, with Iowa and NU tied in my opinion.

The Sparty game isn't the only factor that makes Nebraska's road harder. The fact that we have to go to Camp Randall and Kinnick frankly concerns me more. Splitting those games probably won't get it done unless we also beat Sparty. If we go to Indy this year, we will have earned it. The conference schedule is stacked pretty heavily against us relative to our competitors.

Once again, I ask why? I'd consider Iowa over Wisconsin with the scheduling. Wisconsin has a completely new defense for all intents and purposes...all new receivers (including tight ends)

How is it again they're just going to dominate everyone? I think they are going to be underwhelming this year.

@NW, @Minnesota, @Illinois back-back-back...then hosting Wisconsin and Nebraska - all with no byes and Nebraska on a short week following a holiday (at least we get Minnesota at home before that).

That stretch is a perfect setup for Iowa to lose 1 of those away games, then come back wore down and losing to Wisconsin and that's the tie-breaker. Wisconsin is @NW, but has a nice 6-7 weeks in the middle there before hosting Nebraska and travelng to Iowa. On the surface Iowa has an easy schedule (and i agree they do) - but those 5 weeks are fairly brutal. Wisconsin certainly doesn't have a stretch like that.

I see both Wisconsin and Iowa having two conference losses.

Wisconsin loses to Northwestern early, and Nebraska late (i think we get em finally).

Iowa loses to Northwestern or Illinois, then drops Wisconsin.

Nebraska loses to MSU and Iowa and 1 they shouldn't...@NW?

That gives Wiscy the tie breaker over Iowa, and Nebraska finishes 3rd.

I see both Wisconsin and Iowa having two conference losses.

Wisconsin loses to Northwestern early, and Nebraska late (i think we get em finally).

Iowa loses to Northwestern or Illinois, then drops Wisconsin.

Nebraska loses to MSU and Iowa and 1 they shouldn't...@NW?

That gives Wiscy the tie breaker over Iowa, and Nebraska finishes 3rd.

Man, I hope you're right sker_chris. But I have a LOT of reservations about our chances at Wisconsin. I think Camp Randall is the biggest home field advantage in the conference. Yes, even more of a homefield advantage than The Bighouse or the Shoe, IMHO. The Vadgers have only lost three home games in the last four years. (2010-11 undefeated at home.) That said, I think we fair chance of beating them. But I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Who gives a rats a$$ about returning players, SOS, bottom line NU of old never tried to "win" before the game with this crap. They won in the weight room, in the off season and on the practice field. Get back to smash mouth, beat you down type team and mentality on both sides of the ball.

Wisky and Iowa can scheme all season and believe the hype spewed about how great they are/will be and come Sat, will go home losers!

As a UW fan - people are getting a little carried away with the 'UW has a whole new defense' train of thought. Now, of course I'd say that, I'm a Wisconsin fan and we all have a little homer in us.

But like many teams, Wisconsin rotates a lot of guys on defense, so while its very true a great many seniors and starters have departed, theres a decent amount of experience left over, even in the front 7.

The DL has two guys with heavy experience, Warren Herring played about 50% of the snaps at DT and Zagzebski played in all 13 games and started 3 at SSDE last year. Both are 5th year seniors.

The LBs have a host of players with decent experience. Vinc

- Vince Biegel played in all 13 games and started 2

- Joe Schobert played a lot against spread teams and started 1 game

- Marcus Trotter started a game

- Landisch started a couple games

The secondary returns several starters and experienced backups.

The defense just isn't going to be as young and inexperienced as people seem to think.

Now I'm not saying the Badgers won't struggle replacing some of the pieces they lost, and losing Borland from the linebacking group isn't replaceable, there will be dropoff there regardless of who replaces him. There's also a complete black-hole at WR right now - and while there are some intruiging young kids there, nobody has emerged yet. Still need to solve the QB issue as well - there's a pretty good chance McEvoy beats out Stave.

Some of you guys surprise me when you don't think Wisconsin is going to right there in the end. They have their bar set pretty high in the recent years and Andersen is a great coach. He will get the most out of all their players and it should not be a surprise to us that they are picked the preseason divisional leader. After them, I would say Nebraska then who knows or cares. Do we have the horses to play with Wisconsin and the other side divisional leaders. Yes, but will we is the question?

Iowa wouldn't surprise me, they have a decent returning QB, strength along both lines, depth at RB and the easiest schedule. They have to replace their linebackers, but Iowa usually finds decent guys to play LB.

The schedule is what really seems to get everybody about Iowa. They certainly have some good returning pieces, but, I don't think they're the best team in the West. Head-to-head against Wisconsin on a neutral site and I'd go for the Badgers.

Plus, I don't trust Iowa to steer the ship properly. They're almost always a solid lock to screw things up.

Iowa wouldn't surprise me, they have a decent returning QB, strength along both lines, depth at RB and the easiest schedule. They have to replace their linebackers, but Iowa usually finds decent guys to play LB.

The schedule is what really seems to get everybody about Iowa. They certainly have some good returning pieces, but, I don't think they're the best team in the West. Head-to-head against Wisconsin on a neutral site and I'd go for the Badgers.

Plus, I don't trust Iowa to steer the ship properly. They're almost always a solid lock to screw things up.

Yeah, I agree. Iowa looks like a solid 8-4 type team, except with pretty much the easiest schedule imaginable. But I can't pick them based on that alone. They thought they were in great shape in 2012 with a creampuff schedule (first ten games were against unranked opponents). 8 losses (including ISU and a MACrifice) later, they were screeching for Ferentz's head.