Gregory signs insurance policy

I love the speculation that just because Gregory took out an insurance policy he is going to turn into a lazy player who isn't going to try hard.

Give the kid a break. He did something smart to protect his future earning power.

I don't think anyone here really believes that Randy Gregory of all people will take it easy just because he signed an insurance policy. The speculation is warranted, though. Like it or not, Clowney kind of set a precedence.

I think it has been done before. I do not think Bo would let him get away with it. I was really surprised that Spurrier did. But now remembering some of his comments, he was upset about it the whole year.

Personally I would have had a hard time taking Clowney. I would want a player that gave his all every play. He has shown that was not the case in the past. I would wonder when he would quit on me.

I don't think of Gregory in the same frame as Clowney. Just the chance the same could occur. My guess is Bo would show him the door. He obviously treats these kids right, and demands the same in return. I am sure Gregory knows exactly where he stands with Bo. But I really see no chance of him returning the following year. Unless as grandpasknee predicts we play for a NC and miss close. All bets are off then.

I think he will give an A+ effort. He looks to be in great shape and he has a vested interest in having a big year because of the way that salaries are slotted at the top end of the first round. He doesn't want to slide if he can help it. And the insurance.. I really don't care who pays, I am glad to hear that he has some assurances going into the season. I hope that Ameer does as well.

Slightly off-topic because it's about FSU but it deals with the earlier question of how these policies get paid for.

http://deadspin.com/fsu-paid-for-jameis-winstons-insurance-policy-on-his-dr-1616301588

(It's sort of baffling how unyielding the NCAA's opposition to paying players is, while it allows things like this. FSU is paying 60 grand that Jameis Winston's family would have spent, but now doesn't have to, and as such the Winstons have $60,000 more. It's a pretty convoluted way to put a living wage into Winston's pockets, but that's exactly how it shakes out in the end. If this isn't monetary compensation for athletes, I don't know what is.)

I hate to say it...but I think you would be "Crazy" to go balls out in practice...games sure...but practice...in the position he is in (the same position that Clowney was in) if I had a winning lottery ticket I sure would not drive to the lotto offices with the ticket in my hand and my hand out the window. I am not saying you become a total slack job but I am saying you might start thinking about being just a bit more careful.

Just like I would be pissed as hell if some O-lineman or RB went low on me in a practice and tried to cut me, even legally, I would be pissed.

Slightly off-topic because it's about FSU but it deals with the earlier question of how these policies get paid for.

http://deadspin.com/fsu-paid-for-jameis-winstons-insurance-policy-on-his-dr-1616301588

(It's sort of baffling how unyielding the NCAA's opposition to paying players is, while it allows things like this. FSU is paying 60 grand that Jameis Winston's family would have spent, but now doesn't have to, and as such the Winstons have $60,000 more. It's a pretty convoluted way to put a living wage into Winston's pockets, but that's exactly how it shakes out in the end. If this isn't monetary compensation for athletes, I don't know what is.)

When I first saw the tweet about RG4 buying a policy someone compared it to JF last year and it was mentioned that Tamu paid all or part of his policy.

When I first saw the tweet about RG4 buying a policy someone compared it to JF last year and it was mentioned that Tamu paid all or part of his policy.

This may have been posted already, but RG4 said this was something he did on his own...NU did not pay for it like TAMU did for JF.

NU should pay for this, as other schools do. It's unfair to our players, if other schools pay, not to do it for them.

(I do think schools shouldn't be allowed to do this. In fact, I think it's absurd the NCAA allows it. But, as they do, we have to do everything we can for our players. Just imagine Gregory's family reading stories about another school paying when they shelled out 30-40k (just a guess). I bet recruits also here about this.)

NU should pay for this, as other schools do. It's unfair to our players, if other schools pay, not to do it for them.

(I do think schools shouldn't be allowed to do this. In fact, I think it's absurd the NCAA allows it. But, as they do, we have to do everything we can for our players. Just imagine Gregory's family reading stories about another school paying when they shelled out 30-40k (just a guess). I bet recruits also here about this.)

What if NU does want to pay for it but Gregory refuses? We don't know whether either is true.

I am all for this and the NCAA needs to do what it can to let these policies be written and paid for. These are special Lloyds of London type deals that will only be drafted for top notch talent. I think a player without insurance will be extra .motivated to play with caution ..... that degree in sociology will not make up for a lost NFL contract.