Sipple ties ticket sales to Pelini's job

knapplc

I would bet you've attended more games than I have, and nowhere did I single you out, nor try to puff up myself as a fan. It sounds like you have some personal issues to get over if my sharing of my experience bothers you and comes across as throwing my fandom in your face. I stopped reading after that because I didn't care.

Yeah, OK.

thumbs_up_matt_leblanc.gif

I think it's pretty awesome you spent a few sentences explaining how hard you cheered in 07, how you'd love to go the games even now, and then asked me with a straight face who was throwing their fandom in others faces.....

I mean, I'd go to more games if I lived closer too. But I'm going to two this year, but I'm not the problem. All of the factors you've listed would be rendered moot if the team was/were threatening for a championship. Including this year. Fans will find a way when the team is winning, call it fair weather, call it Susan for all I care, it's a fact. The economy in NorCal was godawful in 2010, and they sold out AT&T every night for the Giants. They filled a stadium that was falling apart, built on stratified trash and the odds were better than decent of you getting assaulted because the power could go out because Harbaugh turned the 49ers around. You have to piss in a dirty trough, the Runzas smell like old socks, it's a bitch to get into for a lot of the stadium and you sit on an old board, but I personally guarantee you every last space would be full if NU got to 8-0 this year. Winning sells. Period.

And Bo is culpable in that. Like I've said, if he won, all of his antics would be tertiary. But he hasn't, and he's falling victim to what happened to Charlie Weis at ND, his arrogance is being backed up by nothing, and it's becoming apparent the emperor has no clothes for many. You can point to 02, 04 and 07, but here's the problem with that.....

-02 was shocking, especially after playing in our last BCS bowl to date. It was also easy to believe it could be an anomaly. Crouch was gone, there was a new sherriff in town in Pederson, and the troops were seriously rallied to make the 03 opener special.

-04 ? It sucked but the prevailing opinion was that Callahan needed time.

-And if you think some of the main reasons there was change in 07 wasn't because people were threatening to end their season tickets and donations for the North Stadium redo were dryer than a California reservoir then you're just misguided.

And those three instances are different than year seven of a regime where they don't think they have to change. Read the practice reports. There's still ten men on the line of scrimmage with one poor sound looking up at a punt. There appear to be only long pass plays or shirt pass plays, with QB's struggling to make secondary reads--all the while the great RB's are being sacrificed for the sake of "multiple". You add these things up, along with the other factors about Bo I'm not going to bring up again because we all know what they are, it can lead to apathy.

So! Basically, it's all out there in front of him and his team. Win. Win now. Win something tangible. Win something that you don't have to invent. Because #9wins is not a thing. Being the twitter champion is not a thing. It will all get a lot easier when they stop being "Nebraska: #9wins just like Oregon! (Kinda but not really, hey look our coach is funny on twitter!)" and starts being "Nebraska, home of the Big Ten Champions".

this is well stated sir.

my two cents on where we're at...

everyone wants to point out the fact that we're riding oregons coat-tails but the reality is that we don't have anything to show for it. i dont think bo reacts well to criticism and urgency. with that said, we have lost a big part of our identity as a football brand. i don't care what anyone says, its the truth. many people will say its a change of the times, but i think thats bs. Its not even the same culture that was apparent in 2009. a part of that culture change is attributed to the fans I think. With the growing social media and internet culture.... everything is viewable. So you have the ever so slight sliding of culture and shift of culture.... and then you have a fan base that wants to cater to the players and protect them from any realm of negativity. when in reality, this is just adding to the identity change and expectation change. used to be an expectation of business around here (nu football)..... now the expectation is to take big grinned selfies on the sideline with shades on. and the funny thing is.... people will get mad that im even saying this, cementing my point.

i'm not encouraging directing negativity towards players by any means. quite the opposite.... i DESPISE those goons who spill their emotions to players on twitter after losses/games. but i certainly dont encourage putting on a happy face and watching the program float down the lazy river.

Look Saunders, if you can not see the change in the fan base, I do not now what to say. Your comments even indicate your ideas/expectations have changed. Some have been pushed over the edge.

I am donating, I am attending every game I can, that is without a war within my family.

I am volunteering to have a large tailgate for the Fresno State game. I really can not do much more to support the program. I have said from day one, that Bo was not qualified to be the head coach of Nebraska. He has proven that over and over. But he has done many things right, and my stance on him has changed a great deal. But reading this board every day, I can see the change in the posters on this board, Knapplc's comments were a eye opening read to say the least. He did not say he was not supporting the program, but feels the program is not supporting him. Many feel that way is my guess. I know I talk to a lot of people about Nebraska, and very very very few endorse Bo. I only hear true positives about him on this site, now this is the only site I frequent. But the positives on this site have changed. POLO was a huge supporter of Bo a couple of years ago, now he is full of questions, concerns. I have reversed my position on Bo in some ways.

But my guess is if the sell out streak should end, the blame, no matter real or correct would fall on Bo, no one else. That will be a hard blow for him to survive is my guess.

I have said many times, he does a lot of things right, great beyond what I would expect of any coach. But some things are so bad, and everyone by human nature remembers the bad far clearer than the good. I will say to Moraine, that even if it is small, he has changed some in my wife's opinion. That is a big step for her.

All my friends and family are fine with Bo. My aunt goes to every game, shes fine with Bo. My cousins go to all the games, they are fine with Bo. I have a cousin who donates so much they have season tickets in the on-field suites in the endzone, their family is fine with Bo. See, it goes both ways buddy. And who gives a rats ace what Polo thinks. The dude only posts in topics that discuss Bo. I have yet to see a post of his since fall camp started that is actually positive and excited for the season to begin. Hes one guy, who cares. Must be a California thing...

And none of my family or friends post on this site...that I know of

I'm with this. During the offseason, there are very few posters on this website. Like everyone else, I have my grandfather's neighbor's nephew's cousin........and everyone in my circle is just fine with Pelini.

Ill just say this. We've endured the most gloomy 10 years this program has had since the sellout streak began. Shouldnt by any arguments about that. Now we have unsold tickets. The streak is in jeapordy. Students section half empty. Folks leavin at halftime when behind instead of hangin on for a lousy 20 more minutes to see what happens. Maybe Bo's notion of "fair weather fans" is spot on.

• Fire 1

Noooo!

Ill just say this. We've endured the most gloomy 10 years this program has had since the sellout streak began. Shouldnt by any arguments about that. Now we have unsold tickets. The streak is in jeapordy. Students section half empty. Folks leavin at halftime when behind instead of hangin on for a lousy 20 more minutes to see what happens. Maybe Bo's notion of "fair weather fans" is spot on.

Noooo! :ahhhhhhhh

All fanbases are fairweather. You have your diehards, and Nebraska still has more than most. But broadly, people want something to be excited about. A good product, style of play, success, a positive experience. Get blown out repeatedly under a supposed defensive guru who growls that his record has in fact been darn good, and I don't blame anyone for deciding they have better things to do with their time.

Winning is undoubtedly the cure-all, but I think many of us don't care as long as it's still fun to follow. And that's, to a huge degree, up to the program's present stewards.

• Fire 2

All fanbases are fairweather. You have your diehards, and Nebraska still has more than most. But broadly, people want something to be excited about. A good product, style of play, success, a positive experience. Get blown out repeatedly under a supposed defensive guru who growls that his record has in fact been darn good, and I don't blame anyone for deciding they have better things to do with their time.

Winning is undoubtedly the cure-all, but I think many of us don't care as long as it's still fun to follow. And that's, to a huge degree, up to the program's present stewards.

It's really annoying when you say things better than I can say things all the time. +1

Gosh when you put it that way he sounds like that other "excellent" coach we had... I think I'm going to be sick...

Get blown out repeatedly under a supposed defensive guru who growls that his record has in fact been darn good, and I don't blame anyone for deciding they have better things to do with their time.

Eichorst has recently commented on Pelini's record being good. Does Eichorst growl too? And if the word "repeatedly" is used to describe the blowouts, does it help cover up the .700 winning percentage? If it was said the "few" blowouts, could that also be correct since it's a vague term used to influence an agenda?

let us just clear this up. no one here has an "agenda". ok. we need to stop that talking point. people have opinions and they frame them a certain way. it is how we communicate.

the only real agenda i see is people trying to prove everyone has an agenda. seriously. either address the content of the post or let it go, but stop repeating some stupid concept created by cheap and lazy media members.

• Fire 1

Eichorst has recently commented on Pelini's record being good. Does Eichorst growl too? And if the word "repeatedly" is used to describe the blowouts, does it help cover up the .700 winning percentage? If it was said the "few" blowouts, could that also be correct since it's a vague term used to influence an agenda?

That's plainly evident to anybody who's ever watched either of those two men talk. Eichorst, who is a "say the right things" PC lawyer-speak machine (I mean that as a compliment), and Pelini, who in good terms would be described as "really honest" and "Nick Saban acts grouchy sometimes too."

As for your quibble about my characterization of "repeatedly", I guess I would say that the number of blowouts is a definite quantity, and while some fans may consider that quantity to be "few", I can't blame anybody for thinking it to be "too many."

let us just clear this up. no one here has an "agenda". ok. we need to stop that talking point. people have opinions and they frame them a certain way. it is how we communicate.

the only real agenda i see is people trying to prove everyone has an agenda. seriously. either address the content of the post or let it go, but stop repeating some stupid concept created by cheap and lazy media members.

I was framing my opinion a certain way.

• Fire 1