Sipple ties ticket sales to Pelini's job

knapplc

We had this discussion about a month ago and the prevailing thought was that there is absolutely no chance that it ends. Now people are worried? And I don't think anyone relishes the idea of the streak ending to get Pelini out. He'll do that on his own in the next couple of seasons IMO. Or he'll win big and solidify his place in the program - and at the same time calm the doubters (myself included) that think he's reached his plateau. Won't take a sellout streak ending to see either event happen.

To me there is nothing better than being at the game at Memorial Stadium. I love to go down and have a few drinks before hand and go and soak up the atmosphere before during and after the games. I guess I don't have have season tickets, but wish I could. We usually try to get to a couple games a year if we can. Now, yes sitting at my house in my recliner watching the game is comfy but being there is an amazing experience every time.

• Fire 1

How much did a ticket cost in 1994 compared to now?

How many seats did the stadium hold in 1994 compared to now?

I think there are a few more factors involved than just the coach winning.

how much did Lincoln/Omaha grow from 1994-present?

Lancaster County: 223k - 297k

Douglas Count: - 431k - 531k

So, in 1994 we had 72,700 seats (actually reduced capacity by 1k that year for handicap seating). This year we have 87,000. 14,300 more seats or 19.6% increase from 1994. During that period the two immediate counties grew by 174,000 people, or about 26.6%. :dunno

• Fire 1

So, in 1994 we had 72,700 seats (actually reduced capacity by 1k that year for handicap seating). This year we have 87,000. 14,300 more seats or 19.6% increase from 1994. During that period the two immediate counties grew by 174,000 people, or about 26.6%. :dunno

What percentage of the population growth has the means or wants to have the means to buy expensive season tickets as opposed to watching it on HDTV with a better view of the action?

• Fire 1

What percentage of the population growth has the means or wants to have the means to buy expensive season tickets as opposed to watching it on HDTV with a better view of the action?

Also, in the late 80s and early 90s, NU might have a couple games on TV a year. I remember listening to most games on the radio, even in the early 90s. Now, with every game on TV, there is less incentive to go to the games in person.

• Fire 1

FYI, in 1993 student tickets cost $7 per game with 8 home games for $56. I remember the prices went up for 1994 because of the near-miss of the national title, but I don't remember the exact numbers.

Why pay the money to go to a game to sit in the nose bleeds, when you can watch it on tv with a better vantage point, drink, and eat food cheaper than at the stadium.

Thinking like a student...

Thinking like me. My dad's seats are in North Stadium, 84th row. He wasn't around much this summer, and we had a bit of miscommunication, so when I saw seats much lower than ours, with no donation fee, I didn't jump on them. So we paid our fee to sit in seats as much as 40 rows higher than new ticket holders who paid nothing for theirs, despite having umpteen dozen points and season tickets for years and years.

Meanwhile, I have an HD TV at home, no lines, no parking fees, no BLARING speakers in my ears, no sun/wind/rain/sleet/snow/freezing-ass cold, I have beer, I have whatever food I want to eat for less than I'm going to spend on concessions, and I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder that the university I've supported for years with donations didn't come to ME first saying, "Hey, things have changed a bit, you could sit closer to the field, no extra, and thanks for being a season ticket holder for 20 years."

All that factors in, I'm not going to lie. I bleed Red, and I've been a Husker fan since before Sean Eichhorst & Bo Pelini knew what the Huskers were, but I gotta tell ya - it's a gonna be a bit of a bitch in two weeks walking up to those seats, knowing someone without our years of contributions is sitting lower, knowing my Bark-O-Lounger is sitting at home with my beer.

It isn't just the students. They bungled this sitch this year. I'm not the only one not happy about this.

This can't be overstated. It is something all sports teams are dealing with right now and is the reason they put wifi and new speakers in the stadium. Fan experience is something we have already heard a lot about in the last couple of years and it is only going to increase in importance.

Even when I was in college, when I went to all the games, I always regretted it a little bit because I missed essentially all of the other college games on TV that day. And that was 15 years ago, with so many more options on TV, I like going to maybe one live game a year. More than that and I feel I'm missing out on too many other good games.

That said, if you don't like the TV time outs at Husker games, try an NFL game... good lord, that's painful.

It's been said in here, but it's definitely true: the students would probably be a lot more likely to come out if their seats weren't terrible.

Show up earlier... or pay full price for an assigned seat... BOO-HOOO..

YOU ARE A COLLEGE STUDENT... You get cheap tickets... You get the opportunity to get a good seat if you want to.

I graduated 3 yrs ago and so I am not some Blue Hair, but come on.. You dont support your team because you might not have a seat 10 feet from the field?

i do not think you can blame bo for lackluster ticket demand. i do not think the teams of recent are helping too much. there is a lot less excitement around the team. but there are a lot of variables working against the sellout streak. the cost, the home schedule, that fact that people have home bars with 70" tv's and surround sound. i mean, when i go to a game, it is for the experience of being at a game, not the experience of watching the game.

It's been said in here, but it's definitely true: the students would probably be a lot more likely to come out if their seats weren't terrible.

YOU ARE A COLLEGE STUDENT... You get cheap tickets... You get the opportunity to get a good seat if you want to.

I graduated 3 yrs ago and so I am not some Blue Hair, but come on.. You dont support your team because you might not have a seat 10 feet from the field?

If I was a student now, I'm not sure if I'd get tickets because of the stupidity of GA seating. You either have to stand in line for hours to get a good seat where the crush of bodies makes it unpleasant, or get there later and end up not only in a node-bleed row but also in the far corner of the stadium.

I'm also jaded by the continuous raising of ticket prices while simultaneously getting millions of dollars more from TV deals.

If I have $50 to spend, do I buy a football ticket and not eat? Or do I buy a case of cheap beer and a pizza, watch the game on TV and have money left for... more beer?

• Fire 1

don't get me wrong, I'm with you.

it could be worse, at least they have a view of the video board.

The population growth doesn't mean that those people are Husker fans. Many are transplanted from around the nation and couldn't care less about the program.

Iirc, we had an excess of student tickets in the late 80s and early 90s that caused a change in student tickets too. The mid 90s run kind of changed that.