Sipple ties ticket sales to Pelini's job

knapplc

How much did a ticket cost in 1994 compared to now?

How many seats did the stadium hold in 1994 compared to now?

I think there are a few more factors involved than just the coach winning.

how much did Lincoln/Omaha grow from 1994-present?

Lancaster County: 223k - 297k

Douglas Count: - 431k - 531k

So, in 1994 we had 72,700 seats (actually reduced capacity by 1k that year for handicap seating). This year we have 87,000. 14,300 more seats or 19.6% increase from 1994. During that period the two immediate counties grew by 174,000 people, or about 26.6%. :dunno

What percentage of the population growth has the means or wants to have the means to buy expensive season tickets as opposed to watching it on HDTV with a better view of the action?

The population growth doesn't mean that those people are Husker fans. Many are transplanted from around the nation and couldn't care less about the program.

Iirc, we had an excess of student tickets in the late 80s and early 90s that caused a change in student tickets too. The mid 90s run kind of changed that.

Additionally, what is the overall state population change during that span? Is it increasing too or is that county growth simply people moving from small towns to the larger city?

How much did a ticket cost in 1994 compared to now?

How many seats did the stadium hold in 1994 compared to now?

I think there are a few more factors involved than just the coach winning.

FYI, in 1993 student tickets cost $7 per game with 8 home games for $56. I remember the prices went up for 1994 because of the near-miss of the national title, but I don't remember the exact numbers.

In 1993, there were only 7 home games, so the average rate was $8 per game. Season tickets for students now cost $189, also for 7 home games. That is an average of $27 per game. That is about a 6.3% inflation rate per year. Yes, that is pretty high, but it seems in line with the average cost of a college education the past 20 years.

The population growth doesn't mean that those people are Husker fans. Many are transplanted from around the nation and couldn't care less about the program.

maybe. or maybe they are nebraskans from rural areas who may be the most ardent husker fans. hard to say.

Also true. I just know that I work with a lot of people from Texas and the west coast area. There are also also lot of transplanted Iowegians in Douglas county. Those people don't care about DoNU.

Also true. I just know that I work with a lot of people from Texas and the west coast area. There are also also lot of transplanted Iowegians in Douglas county. Those people don't care about DoNU.

i really think it just comes down to a lack of excitement (partially from just the change in the college landscape), cost, and how much better it is to watch from home.

It's been said in here, but it's definitely true: the students would probably be a lot more likely to come out if their seats weren't terrible.

So the people who live within a couple miles of the stadium won't pay discounted rates and no donation for those seats so we'll move them to better seats and expect other people who likely have to travel farther and pay full price and possibly a donation for the same seats?

Not buying this one.

It's certainly a sticky wicket. Ideally, I'd like to see student tickets back to where they were,

because I know how fun they were. But obviously now I see why they can't just be up and moved. Especially now after a few years of obvious empty swatches ( the myth of students being able to defy the laws of physics and cram 9 people into a space for one then magically expanding back by the third quarter notwithstanding).

But it's not like they're marooned up in North Stadium, which in my opinion is the worst place to see the game.

Maybe they could up the fan experience, but I think everyone's kidding themselves if the quality of the team and it's future prospects aren't reason #1 driving this. I've seen some good teams jam some pretty decrepit stadiums that make memorial look like Levi's Stadium. (LA Colesium, and LSU's stadium all spring to mind.

Let's face it. If the Huskers were consistent in fielding teams that at least gave you hope of even just a league championship on a more consistent basis let a lone a National one I'm pretty sure those seats would be filled. It's the product and yes I think to a certain extent that can be linked to the head coach. The whole F the fans thing didn't exactly help boost ticket sales I'm pretty sure. Regardless I am still psyched for the Northwestern away game this year.

Fourteen years seems an eternity. Pelini begins his seventh in charge at NU.

Wow. Kind of puts it in perspective doesn't it? Time to produce.

Please no.....not another thread........

That's probably going to be the eventual result of most Husker related conversations until we see a change in the results or the coach.

It is what it is.

Maybe they could up the fan experience, but I think everyone's kidding themselves if the quality of the team and it's future prospects aren't reason #1 driving this.

Bingo. And #2 is probably schedule related.

I'm sure it would help, but this argument would probably hold more water if ticket sales at other college football stadiums and at sports in general haven't been on the decrease.

Maybe they could up the fan experience, but I think everyone's kidding themselves if the quality of the team and it's future prospects aren't reason #1 driving this.

A distant two. If Nebraska was undefeated by the time Minnesota rolls around, there aren't tickets for sale.

A distant two. If Nebraska was undefeated by the time Minnesota rolls around, there aren't tickets for sale.

True.

True.

If they are undefeated after the MSU game there won't be a ticket for sale.