Sipple ties ticket sales to Pelini's job

knapplc

Yeah I can't really afford to go to more than like 2 home games a year unless the ticket price is way low. No road trip for me this year - spent a week in Florida which was pretty much the entire year's travel budget. But I will get season basketball tickets because well they're cheap.

Did you get them last year too? I tried to get them but huskers.com says they are waitlisted

What I am saying is that the outlook of the fans is starting to change, and not in a good direction.

I have never been a huge supporter of Bo, my wife absolutely thinks there has never been anything worse for the program, that includes Callahan. We all have our own opinion of what we expect from the program, and for some the expectations have dropped significantly. Obvious by reading the board.

No I do not intentionally cause wars with my wife of 46 years. I have learned there are other ways to win, than direct confrontation. You can be a great fan, love this program, spend lots of money on this program/university and not like the head coach. FACT

I like what the man does, he runs the program the way I feel it should be.. I am not as impressed with his record as some are. But I vowed I would support him this year. Supporting the coach in a way is supporting the kids, because I do believe they truly like him. So I think he is good man, but not a great leader. Nebraska may need the great leader. And he may grow into it. But currently Bo/AD have driven away a lot more fans than they have brought to the table. That shows in this thread.

And as Polo says, a winning/good season, with no dumpster fires, will go a very long ways in calming the anger. Another 9-4 season with meltdowns, embarrassing losses, lack luster play will pro long the turn around we have been looking for.

This my friends is the beginning of the end. Hearing/reading these words on this site is alarming to say the least. We are Fans of Nebraska, supposed to be the best fans in college football. The passion is dying, and that is truly sad. If you have the opportunity to go, you go, many do not have that luxury. they need to know we support them, behind them, have their back. These are very sad words for me. I am very disappointed in some of you. I can understand the reasons, but I think of my father, grand father and great grandfather living to go to Nebraska games. Dying shortly after his last game, but he went, because the team deserved his support. Pride is dying, the love the program is dying and it seems rapidly; I hear it almost every where I go. I am not sure a change of coaching is going to fix the problem. gone on too long, sad realization for me. Never expected this from this board and from the leaders of this board. But what has been said is very close to the truth. taken advantage of, forgotten about. Sad sad sad situation.

A lot of have quit on this team. I will never quit on this team Never have been a big fan of Bo, my wife absolutely hates him. Hard to live under the same roof with this attitude, how many others are livnign this way.

It is not about drining the most, making the biggest fool out of your self. It is to support the young kids that put their boddies and well being on the line. This truly needs to be fixed.

It's instantly fixed by fielding a team that doesn't get embarrassed in the spotlight and is being led by a person who embraces the fans and doesn't tell them to f#*k off when his charges are the ones who aren't living up to the bargain. It's not like this is string theory here.

What you're saying, is that Bo was right about his "fairweather fans" comment then.

We'll all stick together,[/size]In all kinds of weather,[/size]For dear old Nebraska U.[/size]

Huh....

No, his comments are still absurd considering Nebraska has literally the most loyal fan base in all of college football, and we'll still be loyal to the team long after Bo is gone.

That doesn't mean it's a fan base that's immune to a lack of excitement, which there seems to be entering this season. There's plenty of potential and reasons to think the team could do great things, but the problem is there's many reasons to believe that potential won't be fully realized and we'll underachieve yet again.

The good news is, Bo can change that. The bad news, at least for Bo, is sooner or later he'll be expected to. Given Eichorst's lukewarm vote of confidence, I'm guessing it's sooner.

Well and calling me out is a little ridiculous as well. I'm going to Fresno for the game, and likely another home game as well. That's about all I can do this year, and my seeeeeecret booster donations and meetings too where we all sit around and wax nostalgic about Dave Humm

But Saunders comment is bad, and it shows the systemic problem. People aren't going because they're disenfranchised, prefer their home, mad, whatever the reason is and there's a faction that throws their fandom in their face. That's bad and it's a created cult of personality with the leader of this program.

• Fire 4

What I am saying is that the outlook of the fans is starting to change, and not in a good direction.

So I think he is good man, but not a great leader. Nebraska may need the great leader.

I think he's a decent guy but after seven years I've easily come to the conclusion that he seems in over his head in terms of being a head coach. As I've said before though I don't think Eichorst has the cojones to fire him unless basically the fan base is crying for him to do so. Until then I don't see NU progressing.

I went to UNL for 4 and half years and had student tickets each of the 5 seasons I was there. I'll be a grad student for this upcoming season and will most likely not be getting tickets mainly because they wouldn't let me buy tickets until last Sunday even though I've been registered since July and all that's left now is south stadium (I'll probably still go to a few games in east). But I think one reason you're seeing empty rows is that they're making it a pain in the ass to sell student tickets. I'd be interested to see the number of unused student tickets each year. My first two or three years, students got printed tickets they could sell at any time. Now with them all being on your student ID, you have to sell 3 hours prior to game time and it's all online so you have to meet the person, get out a computer, transfer the ticket, and confirm, instead of just making a quick exchange. When tickets were printed, people would be out tailgating, decide they didn't want to go or were too drunk, and just sell/give their ticket to someone else who wanted to go, with non-students being able to validate. Now that is not an option and you can't sell at all to non-students. I'm curious to see how many of the "guest" tickets are sold and if the money made off of those is greater than the amount made off of validated student tickets in past years. It seems like the university's plan to take away student's profits may actually hurt their own (unless they start selling leftover student tickets to the general public for face value).

Look Saunders, if you can not see the change in the fan base, I do not now what to say. Your comments even indicate your ideas/expectations have changed. Some have been pushed over the edge.

I am donating, I am attending every game I can, that is without a war within my family.

I am volunteering to have a large tailgate for the Fresno State game. I really can not do much more to support the program. I have said from day one, that Bo was not qualified to be the head coach of Nebraska. He has proven that over and over. But he has done many things right, and my stance on him has changed a great deal. But reading this board every day, I can see the change in the posters on this board, Knapplc's comments were a eye opening read to say the least. He did not say he was not supporting the program, but feels the program is not supporting him. Many feel that way is my guess. I know I talk to a lot of people about Nebraska, and very very very few endorse Bo. I only hear true positives about him on this site, now this is the only site I frequent. But the positives on this site have changed. POLO was a huge supporter of Bo a couple of years ago, now he is full of questions, concerns. I have reversed my position on Bo in some ways.

But my guess is if the sell out streak should end, the blame, no matter real or correct would fall on Bo, no one else. That will be a hard blow for him to survive is my guess.

I have said many times, he does a lot of things right, great beyond what I would expect of any coach. But some things are so bad, and everyone by human nature remembers the bad far clearer than the good. I will say to Moraine, that even if it is small, he has changed some in my wife's opinion. That is a big step for her.

Wow I've been gone for so long I couldn't remember my password...or username :hmmph

but this is what we're discussing?

The streak won't die. I could see some big boosters threatening to pull their other donations and still buy the seats to keep the streak alive...you know take money from the donations and buy the tickets instead...school still loses the donation and I could see this stuff making a statement but ending the streak over a coach is rather short sighted.

I mean I want to be relevent again in a positive way...Nebraska fans end streak to voice displeasure is NOT the way to make headlines.

It won't happen.

I played some NCAA 14 yesterday and that blasted Tim Beck kept calling terrible plays so it reminded me to visit Huskerboard and see what was on the complaint menu for the day... :D

what a self-fulfilling prophecy. tell the fans to "eff off" because they are "fair weather". fans then "eff off" and you get to say, 'see, fair weather fans.'

and this is what ultimately annoys me, why are the fans being held accountable (the ones who support the entire program), but the coach has never been other than a few insincere press released apologies?

Your scenario would only make sense if time travel were involved.

This my friends is the beginning of the end. Hearing/reading these words on this site is alarming to say the least. We are Fans of Nebraska, supposed to be the best fans in college football. The passion is dying, and that is truly sad. If you have the opportunity to go, you go, many do not have that luxury. they need to know we support them, behind them, have their back. These are very sad words for me. I am very disappointed in some of you. I can understand the reasons, but I think of my father, grand father and great grandfather living to go to Nebraska games. Dying shortly after his last game, but he went, because the team deserved his support. Pride is dying, the love the program is dying and it seems rapidly; I hear it almost every where I go. I am not sure a change of coaching is going to fix the problem. gone on too long, sad realization for me. Never expected this from this board and from the leaders of this board. But what has been said is very close to the truth. taken advantage of, forgotten about. Sad sad sad situation.

A lot of have quit on this team. I will never quit on this team Never have been a big fan of Bo, my wife absolutely hates him. Hard to live under the same roof with this attitude, how many others are livnign this way.

It is not about drining the most, making the biggest fool out of your self. It is to support the young kids that put their boddies and well being on the line. This truly needs to be fixed.

It's instantly fixed by fielding a team that doesn't get embarrassed in the spotlight and is being led by a person who embraces the fans and doesn't tell them to f#*k off when his charges are the ones who aren't living up to the bargain. It's not like this is string theory here.
What you're saying, is that Bo was right about his "fairweather fans" comment then.

We'll all stick together,[/size]In all kinds of weather,[/size]For dear old Nebraska U.[/size]

Huh....

No, his comments are still absurd considering Nebraska has literally the most loyal fan base in all of college football, and we'll still be loyal to the team long after Bo is gone.

That doesn't mean it's a fan base that's immune to a lack of excitement, which there seems to be entering this season. There's plenty of potential and reasons to think the team could do great things, but the problem is there's many reasons to believe that potential won't be fully realized and we'll underachieve yet again.

The good news is, Bo can change that. The bad news, at least for Bo, is sooner or later he'll be expected to. Given Eichorst's lukewarm vote of confidence, I'm guessing it's sooner.

Well and calling me out is a little ridiculous as well. I'm going to Fresno for the game, and likely another home game as well. That's about all I can do this year, and my seeeeeecret booster donations and meetings too where we all sit around and wax nostalgic about Dave Humm

But Saunders comment is bad, and it shows the systemic problem. People aren't going because they're disenfranchised, prefer their home, mad, whatever the reason is and there's a faction that throws their fandom in their face. That's bad and it's a created cult of personality with the leader of this program.

The fans still showed up in 2002, 2004 and 2007, the 3 worst seasons we've had in 40 years. That tells me the fans will show, regardless of who's in charge. But now, they aren't*, yet we're at the same renewal rate as years past. I truly couldn't care less who was the leader of the program, so pinning this on Bo as some kind of cult leader is laughable. I cheered for the team all year until Bill was fired, and I'd do the same if 2014 was a repeat. We expanded the stadium, added the BTN which gives us every single game in HD within the comfort of home. Couple these with the crap economy and ridiculous travel costs compared to just 6 years ago, and it's easy to see why there's not the waiting list. I'd love to come back for a game this year, but plane flights alone are close to $2,000 for us. Can't do it. Driving isn't much better at $3.50 a gallon.

Oh, and who's this faction that's throwing their fandom in their face? Another strawman army?

• Fire 1

Look Saunders, if you can not see the change in the fan base, I do not now what to say. Your comments even indicate your ideas/expectations have changed. Some have been pushed over the edge.

I am donating, I am attending every game I can, that is without a war within my family.

I am volunteering to have a large tailgate for the Fresno State game. I really can not do much more to support the program. I have said from day one, that Bo was not qualified to be the head coach of Nebraska. He has proven that over and over. But he has done many things right, and my stance on him has changed a great deal. But reading this board every day, I can see the change in the posters on this board, Knapplc's comments were a eye opening read to say the least. He did not say he was not supporting the program, but feels the program is not supporting him. Many feel that way is my guess. I know I talk to a lot of people about Nebraska, and very very very few endorse Bo. I only hear true positives about him on this site, now this is the only site I frequent. But the positives on this site have changed. POLO was a huge supporter of Bo a couple of years ago, now he is full of questions, concerns. I have reversed my position on Bo in some ways.

But my guess is if the sell out streak should end, the blame, no matter real or correct would fall on Bo, no one else. That will be a hard blow for him to survive is my guess.

I have said many times, he does a lot of things right, great beyond what I would expect of any coach. But some things are so bad, and everyone by human nature remembers the bad far clearer than the good. I will say to Moraine, that even if it is small, he has changed some in my wife's opinion. That is a big step for her.

All my friends and family are fine with Bo. My aunt goes to every game, shes fine with Bo. My cousins go to all the games, they are fine with Bo. I have a cousin who donates so much they have season tickets in the on-field suites in the endzone, their family is fine with Bo. See, it goes both ways buddy. And who gives a rats ace what Polo thinks. The dude only posts in topics that discuss Bo. I have yet to see a post of his since fall camp started that is actually positive and excited for the season to begin. Hes one guy, who cares. Must be a California thing...

And none of my family or friends post on this site...that I know of

• Fire 1

I think it's pretty awesome you spent a few sentences explaining how hard you cheered in 07, how you'd love to go the games even now, and then asked me with a straight face who was throwing their fandom in others faces.....

I mean, I'd go to more games if I lived closer too. But I'm going to two this year, but I'm not the problem. All of the factors you've listed would be rendered moot if the team was/were threatening for a championship. Including this year. Fans will find a way when the team is winning, call it fair weather, call it Susan for all I care, it's a fact. The economy in NorCal was godawful in 2010, and they sold out AT&T every night for the Giants. They filled a stadium that was falling apart, built on stratified trash and the odds were better than decent of you getting assaulted because the power could go out because Harbaugh turned the 49ers around. You have to piss in a dirty trough, the Runzas smell like old socks, it's a bitch to get into for a lot of the stadium and you sit on an old board, but I personally guarantee you every last space would be full if NU got to 8-0 this year. Winning sells. Period.

And Bo is culpable in that. Like I've said, if he won, all of his antics would be tertiary. But he hasn't, and he's falling victim to what happened to Charlie Weis at ND, his arrogance is being backed up by nothing, and it's becoming apparent the emperor has no clothes for many. You can point to 02, 04 and 07, but here's the problem with that.....

-02 was shocking, especially after playing in our last BCS bowl to date. It was also easy to believe it could be an anomaly. Crouch was gone, there was a new sherriff in town in Pederson, and the troops were seriously rallied to make the 03 opener special.

-04 ? It sucked but the prevailing opinion was that Callahan needed time.

-And if you think some of the main reasons there was change in 07 wasn't because people were threatening to end their season tickets and donations for the North Stadium redo were dryer than a California reservoir then you're just misguided.

And those three instances are different than year seven of a regime where they don't think they have to change. Read the practice reports. There's still ten men on the line of scrimmage with one poor sound looking up at a punt. There appear to be only long pass plays or shirt pass plays, with QB's struggling to make secondary reads--all the while the great RB's are being sacrificed for the sake of "multiple". You add these things up, along with the other factors about Bo I'm not going to bring up again because we all know what they are, it can lead to apathy.

So! Basically, it's all out there in front of him and his team. Win. Win now. Win something tangible. Win something that you don't have to invent. Because #9wins is not a thing. Being the twitter champion is not a thing. It will all get a lot easier when they stop being "Nebraska: #9wins just like Oregon! (Kinda but not really, hey look our coach is funny on twitter!)" and starts being "Nebraska, home of the Big Ten Champions".

• Fire 8

I would bet you've attended more games than I have, and nowhere did I single you out, nor try to puff up myself as a fan. It sounds like you have some personal issues to get over if my sharing of my experience bothers you and comes across as throwing my fandom in your face. I stopped reading after that because I didn't care.

Yeah, OK.