Which True Freshmen Will Play?

Mavric

it will be interesting to see how DJ does on the defensive line, though looking at his film, you can see he has BIG potential on the offensive line. The kid has great upper body strength and once he hits you, he pushes you back and knocks you off balance.

I can see Pierson-El finding a way onto the field, kind of how Moore found his way on the field last season.

With Pat Smith gone, I think the job is wide open for Drew Brown, as Bondi will handle kickoffs and Foltz will handle punts.

Defensively, Peyton Newell might see the field. Secondary wise, its hard to say. I mean you have 4 true freshmen that seem to be getting praise while in fall camp, but I doubt we will them burn 4 redshirts on all 3 of them, unless things are really bad in the secondary. I would hope to see only 1 redshirt get burned on either Williams/Jones/Mosley/Kalu. 2 max.

I don't understand people's stance on "burning redshirts." Why does there seem to be a negative connotation that comes with that phrase? To me, playing true freshman should be a welcomed sign that the staff is bringing in elite talent. These same true freshman are the same talented kids that were good enough to play right away in high school with kids 2-3 years older. Often beating out older kids for spots. Now I understand beating out juniors and seniors for a spot as a high school freshman is different than beating out juniors and seniors at a big time D1 program, but as far as I'm concerned, playing true freshman is a good sign. I'd like to see full recruiting classes chocked full of guys that can play right away. I wonder if Alabama fans hope they can possibly redshirt most of every class or if they hoping that half or more of every class can contribute right away?

I don't understand people's stance on "burning redshirts." Why does there seem to be a negative connotation that comes with that phrase? To me, playing true freshman should be a welcomed sign that the staff is bringing in elite talent. These same true freshman are the same talented kids that were good enough to play right away in high school with kids 2-3 years older. Often beating out older kids for spots. Now I understand beating out juniors and seniors for a spot as a high school freshman is different than beating out juniors and seniors at a big time D1 program, but as far as I'm concerned, playing true freshman is a good sign. I'd like to see full recruiting classes chocked full of guys that can play right away. I wonder if Alabama fans hope they can possibly redshirt most of every class or if they hoping that half or more of every class can contribute right away?

I am not sure people are concerned by it, but personally I would be skeptical on playing Fr. Linemen. Mainly because if they are going to play, I want to see them get a fair amount of PT and playing on the lines is not something I don't think the vast majority of Fr. are ready to do. I think it is a bit easier on D-line, especially if depth is a bit thin, so I am not against DJ playing this year. If he switches back, I would hope he gets a RS year to help him develop as an O-lineman if he isn't going to be in the 2-deep next year.

Its not elite talent if he struggles on the field then people wonder how bad the position really is if he was suppose to be the best they could play.

It makes me cringe when I see a true freshman take the field, I feel there is a lot of expectations out there for him and he has to live up to that or his talent gets criticized negatively along with coaching staff. Perfect example from last year was Josh Banderas. Great kid with a lot of talent, but was rushed onto the field and struggled. People criticized the hell out of him after the UCLA game.

The only two positions I think you should almost always redshirt is the interior offensive and defensive line. Doesn't even matter if you are a top 10 player out of HS its so hard to play with guys who are 22 when you are 18, just not matured enough into that body. Most all other positions you can get onto the field with your speed and athleticism etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Foster has moved back to OLine and is working with the scout team. Redshirt seems likely.

Bo mentioned that Irons and Tolbert have been moved up from the scout team to get some looks. I still think they will likely redshirt. Mostly a combination of injuries and apparently some bad routes last week. They get a shot but hopefully we don't need them.

I'm sure he's still redshirting but Pelini said on his radio show tonight that the defensive coaches are working him to try to get Freedom Adinmoladun over to DE. His high school coach has always said he thought he projected better at DE. I've been on board with that since before he got here and now with the other DEs we've lost and not having any really great prospects for the next recruiting class, I'd definitely like to see him at DE.

I know he is a redshirt freshman but I would like to see more of Courtney Love at linebacker especially after all the problems Santos and Bando had in coverage

I could of swore I saw Love in on STs last Sat.
Ya? I think he meant he would like to see him get actual defense snaps. Problem is he plays behind Anderson who is our best backer