Bo Pelini hates the Devil Weed

He HAS to be totally against smoking weed because his players can get in one heck of a lot of trouble if they are caught doing it.

Only because of people like him, ironically

Not necessarily.

There is a big chance his attitude towards it would change if it were made legal.

Could be. Part of me thinks he's being at least a little disingenuous here. Wishful thinking, perhaps.

It's only a problem because the old folks like Bo have been indoctrinated to believe that it's a problem. It's less far less dangerous than alcohol or tobacco, which are fine because society has told folks like Bo that they're fine.

It's not a problem; the only problems is that the law still says it's illegal, and the drug war results in lives getting ruined that shouldn't be for something as harmless as smoking a joint

But I doubt anyone is going to change Bo's mind on this

I drank a lot of beer in college and I still drink to this day. I had a really good friend in college that smoked weed in college more than he drank. To this day, he has a hard time with memory loss and comprehending things that shouldn't be that hard to comprehend. If you really think that weed is far less dangerous than alcohol and tobacoo, then you haven't been around too many people that have been doing it for an extended period of time.

Oh, that's just a bunch of hooey.

What were we talking about?

• Fire 1

It was a little weird when he brought it up, then it got a little weirder when he went into it further, but it's not a big deal in my opinion. He was roaming from topic to topic quite a bit this morning (not in a bad way), and I'd rather hear him give his opinion than just give canned answers. I don't think it's as bad as he does, but I'm guessing there was a message to the team in there somewhere. Obviously there was at least one incident with weed this offseason, and maybe he's just getting the word out to the players in a public way - don't even think about testing his limits.

Despite the fact that the only funding given to marijuana research is if that research intends to show that it is harmful in some way, nothing conclusive in the way of memory loss has been shown. (Marijuana research really is ridiculous, like the law prohibits medical marijuana research unless you can get a workaround).

Continue with your pointless anecdotes though

First of all, I don't think what I said was pointless at all. Just because there hasn't been research from the government, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. There are side effects to everything obviously. I just can't stand those people that say that smoking weed is harmless. That's just not true at all. I know that you never said that smoking weed is harmless, but I still just can't stand it. I'm a teacher, and I see first hand what weed is doing to the youth of our nation. If you don't think it has any effects on memory loss, please feel free to come to my classroom some time and sit next to some of my students that will readily admit to smoking it. I don't need millions of dollars in government research to show me there is memory loss going on there.

Despite the fact that the only funding given to marijuana research is if that research intends to show that it is harmful in some way, nothing conclusive in the way of memory loss has been shown. (Marijuana research really is ridiculous, like the law prohibits medical marijuana research unless you can get a workaround).

First of all, I don't think what I said was pointless at all. Just because there hasn't been research from the government, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. There are side effects to everything obviously. I just can't stand those people that say that smoking weed is harmless. That's just not true at all. I know that you never said that smoking weed is harmless, but I still just can't stand it. I'm a teacher, and I see first hand what weed is doing to the youth of our nation. If you don't think it has any effects on memory loss, please feel free to come to my classroom some time and sit next to some of my students that will readily admit to smoking it. I don't need millions of dollars in government research to show me there is memory loss going on there.

You can't fight the whole "everything is acceptable as long as it lines up with my worldview" mentality.

You can't fight the whole "everything is acceptable as long as it lines up with my worldview" mentality.

Very true, it's very hard to argue with stubborness.

Oh no! Our head coach doesn't like Marijuana....who gives a sh#t. I don't like cheeseburgers from McDonalds...better crucify me for that. He's entitled to his opinion like everyone else...I hold the same sentiments as Tschu does on Marijuana. I would much rather see pot legal than alcohol due to all the ramifications associated...if you had to choose...and I hate pot. Rarely enjoyed it.

• Fire 1

First off, marijuana should be legalized. However, that doesn't mean I don't think there should be limitations. Alcohol and Tobacco have rules. Like we all know you can't be under 21 to drink or get in a vehicle and drive while intoxicated. Tobacco has been hit hard in the last decade and a half with smoking in restaurants and what not. I have no problem with those rules and I think there would be applications of rules with marijuana as well. But for now, marijuana is illegal in Nebraska and there's only one rule. You can't use marijuana. No problem with what Bo said.

• Fire 1

He HAS to be totally against smoking weed because his players can get in one heck of a lot of trouble if they are caught doing it.

Only because of people like him, ironically

Not necessarily.

There is a big chance his attitude towards it would change if it were made legal.

I mean put it this way, I don't doubt that there are harmful effects. Eating a cheeseburger has harmful effects. But they are undoubtedly less than that of alcohol, both to your body and to the people around you, that much we know.

Exactly. Legalize it, tax it, and put the money towards schools or something.

This is what I think too. He's probably trying to use the supposed health effects as more of a legit reason for not doing, but I would bet that he's just concerned with the fact that it's not legal. if it were, it would be an afterthought like drinking and smoking. A hamper on a players ability yes, but no danger of breaking law by simply consuming it. There are NCAA drug tests. School drug tests. The sh#t's illegal. And his job depends on the performance of his best players in a society that says the stuff's ok despite it still being illegal.

I'm with Knapp too. I'm not against it in anyway. We waste far more resources trying to control and hide that it's not too bad at all, then if we would just legalize, and like Knapp said, tax it and such, we could get back to worrying about legit problems.

I mean put it this way, I don't doubt that there are harmful effects. Eating a cheeseburger has harmful effects. But they are undoubtedly less than that of alcohol, both to your body and to the people around you, that much we know.

Exactly. Legalize it, tax it, and put the money towards schools or something.

+1 Also quit incarcerating pot heads for possession, and clogging up our prisons. Just levy fines based on the amount of the possession.

• Fire 3

I don't do the stuff and I'm against it, obviously, but I do agree that they should just legalize it and tax the crap out of it. Once it's legal, I'm guessing that it would lose it's attractiveness to some people. I still feel that it has more long term affects than alcohol does, but I still feel that they need to make money off of it and tax the crap out of it.