** What did we learn today? FAU version **

NUance

We beat the crap out of a team we should have. This is a start. Throttle lesser opponents and break their will to play. Miami will probably be the first look to see where we "really are".

We made a few mistakes that against quality opponents could hurt us.

Beck called a good game.

TA can go 50% completion rate as long as he continues to throw balls away or get TD's.

AA looked great. So did Todd Gurley. To get the hypesman, he will need to do a lot more, in prime time against quality opponents. regardless of the accolades, he is a great RB.

Westy is the real deal.

No real idea about RG.

Can't believe we really worked on the punt return game.

TA can run, with authority.

In typical Bo fashion, the D will improve. They looked good, but I know from the past they will actually get better.

Great win and sets the tone. I liked the no TO's, the fact we didn't let off the gas and a lot of guys got game reps.

Good start to the season.

• Fire 1

I really liked Tommy Armstrong's decision-making and comfort, but has a ways to go with actually getting the ball where his brain wants it to, which is frustrating because he's got the poise to do it. Should be fine.

Other than that, can't really glean much other than this team has shown a little bit more than preseason kool-aid drinking that they can be really good.

Also, there was some talk on twitter of Bo taking the Carl stuff personally and taking it out on FAU. Anyone think there's some legitimacy to that?

Seemed like pretty standard fare play-calling wise against a lesser opponent. Maybe slightly more aggressive.

Bo has a fiery personality. Appears to be very loyal to family and friends. Yea, I could see Bo making a point against them. I wish he's find something personal every game.

This aggressive posture is what we need every game. I am tired of going conservative when we have the lead. I would prefer we continue to punish teams and crush them regardless how bad it looks. Stop scoring when they can stop us. (Not saying keep the starters in during a blow out, but don't back off play calling)

• Fire 1

Also, there was some talk on twitter of Bo taking the Carl stuff personally and taking it out on FAU. Anyone think there's some legitimacy to that?

Seemed like pretty standard fare play-calling wise against a lesser opponent. Maybe slightly more aggressive.

The aggressive play calling at the end of the 1st half was all Beck. Bo had his headset off at that point, IIRC.

Bo has a fiery personality. Appears to be very loyal to family and friends. Yea, I could see Bo making a point against them. I wish he's find something personal every game.

This aggressive posture is what we need every game. I am tired of going conservative when we have the lead. I would prefer we continue to punish teams and crush them regardless how bad it looks. Stop scoring when they can stop us. (Not saying keep the starters in during a blow out, but don't back off play calling)

I agree that we could do to be more aggressive in general, but if Bo wants to take Carl being fired personally with the volume of inexcusable junk we know Carl has been up to over the last 10 years, well, if it was my brother I wouldn't have much sympathy or defense for him.

Also thirdly...

Let's give Tim Beck props. Doesn't matter who the competition was that was a hell of a game called offensively.

Still have questions about Beck, BUT liked today. A good mix of pass and run. It seemed like he was actually thinking a few plays ahead and trying to have a flow to the game.

I am really hoping the whole reviewing the past 12-18 months and canning crap is true. If so, what we saw today might be a refreshing look at what our O is capable of. Nice to try and improve on what we did tonight vs trying to implement new plays for next week, Regardless of opponent, almost 800 yards of offense is an accomplishment.

I liked that we only had like 6 penalties.

And they weren't all false starts or other mental mistakes. They were aggressive penalties like blocks in the back and whatnot.

Didn't give up a sack.

Pierson-El should get more looks at PR since Kenny dropped one. Also got a TD on his only catch.

Basically I learned that it's a lot more fun when we open the season like this.

Offense: O Line, AA, Tommy, Westerkamp

Defense: McMullen and Gerry

I wish we could have seen more from the defense. Looked like FAU with their first QB was going to do some running and misdirection and I wanted to see us stop that. After that first QB went down, the second QB seemed of slight build and just was going to take some shots in the passing game but there was no big arm to worry about and FAU dropped some balls. Defense did its job but I wanted to see a better opponent and think the first QB would have tested some of our weaknesses and we could better judge improvement.

I did not expect the offensive outburst so was nice to see. Tommy throws a good ball. Still would like to see him hit guys in stride a bit more more.

Did what we needed to do for a top 20 team...blowout a lesser opponent. Most all top 20 teams playing a weak opponent at home had similar results.