** What did we learn today? FAU version **

NUance

Abdullah is the truth.

People need to relax about Armstrong.

Outside of Westercamp, I'm not impressed with the WR corp.

Punt return is still beyond horrendous--to the point where I'm still convinced special teams will cost NU a game or two.

I'm not sold on the defense.

Eric Crouch......bad at announcing.

PIZZA RANCH!

This is polo's version of "Ok, we're way better than I ever give credit for"

Abdullah is the truth.

Punt return is still beyond horrendous--to the point where I'm still convinced special teams will cost NU a game or two.

PIZZA RANCH!

Whatevs

Abdullah is the truth.

PIZZA RANCH!

Whatevs

I know it was FAU, but it was game 1, and we played about as complete a game as we could. Only you could turn our performance today into a full blown negative.

• Fire 2

Team just looked polished. Yeah there was some questionable flags early, but most of the game, they just looked really smooth. The penalties disappeared.... we didn't see more than a handful of missed tackles, assignments, bad angles and first game jitters, even from the backup guys. I thought Fyfe and Newby looked really good when they were in, too.

I've questioned the discipline and preparation of Pelini's squads in the past. I didn't seen any evidence of those things today. Those are the things I am hoping to see going forward and the things I think they need to do to go from the middling, second best in division level to championship contender level.

But it's early days yet.

Also, there was some talk on twitter of Bo taking the Carl stuff personally and taking it out on FAU. Anyone think there's some legitimacy to that?

Seemed like pretty standard fare play-calling wise against a lesser opponent. Maybe slightly more aggressive.

The aggressive play calling at the end of the 1st half was all Beck. Bo had his headset off at that point, IIRC.

I really liked that. Running a 2 min drill kind of deal was a very good thing. I know I wasn't alone when I wished Kenny Bell had been able to bring in that catch. And I don't think I was alone in being upset about that new rule that you can't spike the ball to stop time with less than 3 seconds left on the clock.

The only two calls I thought were questionable were the holding by Mark Pelini and the chop block on Jake Cotton. Jamal Turner's block in the back was legit penalty. Kenny Bell's holding was, ehh. I doubt it made much of difference on the play, but it was holding.

Pros:

1) Rushing offense looked fantastic today from each position. TA had a few nice runs, Newby had a 100 yard day. Ameer was dominate as he should be. O-Line was impressive in pass pro and run blocking.

2) 0 turnovers. The biggest thing holding the program back is that we almost always lose the turnover battle, was nice to see us take care of the football.

3) Defense was fantastic most of the game. Losing Gregory hurt, but outside of the first drive they really took over the game. We faced a second string QB for a lot of the day though, but overall looked great.

Cons:

1) Special teams looks iffy. They gashed us on a few kickoff returns (Bondi needs to get a few more touchbacks). Nebraska still can't manage to field a punt, this must improve to help Nebraska in the field position game later in the season.

2) Defense didn't force any turnovers. Would've been nice to see an interception considering the amount of pass attempts FAU had.

3) TA looked poised today, but the completion percentage needs to improve. His throwing ability, at least downfield, seemed to be much better than it was at any point last year, but the % needs to improve for this offense to take the next step forward.

Starting the season off with a convincing win feels so much better than how I felt after the Wyoming game last year. Particularly after watching the rest of the conference struggle today, I think Nebraska has a real chance at the division this year, and looked like one of the top 3 teams in the conference after week 1.

Abdullah is the truth.

PIZZA RANCH!

Whatevs

I know it was FAU, but it was game 1, and we played about as complete a game as we could. Only you could turn our performance today into a full blown negative.
The fact that you thought/think I'm being fully negative says a lot more about you then it does about me.
  • Fire 4

Still have questions about Beck,

Not sure how this is even possible. We set the Big 10 record, run the perfect offense, and this guy "still has questions" about Beck. Unbelievable.

one great game doesn't replace an entire career full of questionable decisions. especially given the competition.

• Fire 1

Regarding the defense not forcing turnovers: it's not like they weren't in positions to force them. There were plenty of times (forced fumble by Gerry that should have been recovered, tipped pass that should have been intercepted by Mitchell, and I think a handful of other plays that our secondary jumped in front of but could not intercept passes).

There's a big difference between not forcing turnovers because you aren't in the position and not forcing turnovers because you were in position, but couldn't finish the play.

I liked what I saw yesterday, don't think we lost focus or quit trying as hard even when we had the game in hand.

• Fire 1

This game makes me a lot more confident compared to last year. Watching college football all day yesterday has shown that every team has questions and why wouldn't they? It's the very first game. Teams get better throughout the year when they have film to study and guys mature and understand their responsibility. On the bright side, Fresno doesn't scare me anymore

I learned that Kenny Bell goes 40% 80% of the time. He alligator armed two balls that he should've caught. If he went as hard as Westercamp, he could be great. He disappoints me.

And he missed blocks, had a holding penalty, and fumbled a punt. He unquestionably has the talent. His problem is mentality.

• Fire 4