** What did we learn today? FAU version **

NUance

I was a little surprised Cross didn't get more carries early, and none late.

Coaches seem to have a ton of faith in him in high pressure situations...third downs, fourth downs, inside the 10.....but the limited carries are starting to strike me as odd.

If you have 19 carries between Newby and Cross, no idea why it wouldn't be more equitable. Cross has NFL potential and deserves a chance to show it.

I thought the same thing. I would like to see a little more of Cross in there. Especially in a game like yesterday. It makes me wonder if he'll even get the nod as the starter next year.

Is Cross the best kept secret in the country or what? I asked the same thing yesterday as to why we weren't seeing more of him and as someone said, theres nothing more for him to prove. He's a solid backup to Ameer and could probably start for any team out there, I expect we will use him plenty and just felt no need to burn him up just like when Ameer sat down.

Or that's the only explanation I can find anyways.

I can see not wanting to burn him up when we have a team beat like that, but I feel the same way you do......I would still have liked to see a little more of him yesterday. There's a lot of teams that would love to have a back like Cross as their starter. We're the lucky ones that have him as a back-up!

This is where diamond formation could really come in handy. Considering what we saw from Abdullah yesterday and what we know Cross is capable of, imagine how much it'd open up the playbook with both of those guys on the field at the same time.

That would be fun to see. It would be dangerous to have both of them on the field at the same time.

When we run out of the shotgun Abdullah is about 7-8 yards behind the line of scrimmage. It takes awhile for him to hit the gaps and the linemen were not able to maintain their blocks long enough on quite a few of those runs. The gap had closed by the time he got there.

Anybody who knows a bit more about this maybe could tell me is this standard to line up that deep? Or is there a different reason we do that?

When NU ran the old I-formation, the I-back would be about 7 yards behind the LOS. This allows that I-back to see the hole or make necessary cuts. This also allows the back to take a couple steps forward so he is hitting the hole at a higher speed.

In the I formation, there was a FB lead blocker though too. That fullback always cleared the lane for the I-back. You could be right though about maybe hitting the gap at a higher speed and it probably does help with vision a bit. I always prefer a running back not make cuts behind the LOS, much like a runner like Cross, but either way I can't knock what we are doing because Abdullah does very well. I was just curious about it.

When we run out of the shotgun Abdullah is about 7-8 yards behind the line of scrimmage. It takes awhile for him to hit the gaps and the linemen were not able to maintain their blocks long enough on quite a few of those runs. The gap had closed by the time he got there.

Anybody who knows a bit more about this maybe could tell me is this standard to line up that deep? Or is there a different reason we do that?

When NU ran the old I-formation, the I-back would be about 7 yards behind the LOS. This allows that I-back to see the hole or make necessary cuts. This also allows the back to take a couple steps forward so he is hitting the hole at a higher speed.
In the I formation, there was a FB lead blocker though too. That fullback always cleared the lane for the I-back. You could be right though about maybe hitting the gap at a higher speed and it probably does help with vision a bit. I always prefer a running back not make cuts behind the LOS, much like a runner like Cross, but either way I can't knock what we are doing because Abdullah does very well. I was just curious about it.
With zone runs and zone blocking, it's up to the RB to see the hole, make the one cut, and hit that hole. That's what Ameer does so well. Cross can't make those lateral cuts, so his plays have to have specified holes for him to hit. Cross is a good straight ahead runner with power, but his can't go lateral, stick a foot in the ground and then hit that hole.

With zone runs and zone blocking, it's up to the RB to see the hole, make the one cut, and hit that hole. That's what Ameer does so well. Cross can't make those lateral cuts, so his plays have to have specified holes for him to hit. Cross is a good straight ahead runner with power, but his can't go lateral, stick a foot in the ground and then hit that hole.

Where do you come up with the whole Cross can't go lateral? Just because his strength is down hill style running doesn't mean he is not capable of outside the tackle running.

• Fire 1

Where do you come up with the whole Cross can't go lateral? Just because his strength is down hill style running doesn't mean he is not capable of outside the tackle running.

Cross may not be as good with the lateral cuts as Ameer, but he definitely can make lateral cuts. I would agree that his strength is down hill running, but I agree with you that he can definitely make lateral cuts as well. I also like to see a running back, like Cross, that will just flat out run someone over.

Rewatching the game:

We had two kick return opportunities and they looked pretty average. Kick coverage has some work to do as well. Bondi needs as many touchbacks as he can provide.

I like our QB draw with the back leading the block, especially when it's Cross. LB vs. Cross I will take any day.

Cross still runs straight up and down in the open field, which sucks, because he seems to make it there quite often.

Our defense can read the screen pass if you run it too many times.

We still can't effectively stop running quarterbacks.

Westerkamp is shifty in the open field. He should be a candidate for for more tunnel screens.

Marcus Newby looks like a really good 3rd down pass rushing DE.

At what point did the defense "take awhile" to settle in? They allowed one drive. The opening drive. They proceeded to shut that sh#t down all game long.

If this wasnt everything you wanted to see and then some, then you're a helpless soul and may you burn in your pissed of Husker dipsh*t eternal fire.

It was a great win, but there are still things to work on.

At what point did the defense "take awhile" to settle in? They allowed one drive. The opening drive. They proceeded to shut that sh#t down all game long.

If this wasnt everything you wanted to see and then some, then you're a helpless soul and may you burn in your pissed of Husker dipsh*t eternal fire.

They did have a third drive go into Nebraska territory and miss a field goal. Rainbows and Butterflies.

There's always things to work on.

I liked some attitudes I saw on the sideline. Mainly noticed Drew Brown. After every kickoff and the couple scoring kicks Bondi had, he was out on the field to give him a high five as he came to the sideline. After one kickoff, he had to jog about 40 yards down field to catch him but did just the same.

Also, when Stanton was warming up toward the end of the game, he was initially playing catch with Broekemeier. Next time I looked down, Westerkamp was catching for Stanton. For a guy who just had the game of his life (separate from The Play of his life), he could have been doing a lot of other things rather than helping the #3 QB warm up.

• Fire 1