We didn't respect the game

knapplc

You can't teach character. I don't think.

I disagree. I think this is on the coaching staff. You see it all the time. A new coach comes in, like Harbaugh in Stanford, or Chip Kelly in Oregon and the team consistently overachieves at the beginning. They change the attitude. This team is clearly playing below it's capability, hence winning in the last minute at home against McNeese State. There are no excuses for what happened today, the team was not prepared, and that's on the staff.

Year 7..............

I think we'll be having the same discussion next year. This team has the talent to compete with the best, they clearly don't have the leadership. I mean, McNeese St? Really? At home?

"I hold this ball club to a very high standard. I have a lot of respect for McNeese State, but I feel like we're a much better ball club than McNeese State. We didn't respect the game. McNeese State, they do. They come out, they don't care who they're playing. Those players are very talented, as you can see. But the Nebraska Cornhuskers... starting tomorrow we're going to bring a different attitude."

- Ameer Abdullah, post-game presser

This is what kills me. You've got a guy on your team who will literally take the team on his back. He could have left for the NFL but stayed, he's been a Super Hero two weeks in a row, literally winning the game for us this week.

And the guys around him aren't bringing the same focus, the same respect.

This team has big ideas and little patience. They have grandiose egos but mediocre heart. They got out-played by a D1AA team on their home turf, in front of 90k of their own fans, and only won because Ameer said Enough of this. I'm taking over, and did some Superman stuff.

If this team had the heart and guts McNeese State does, I'd pencil us in for Indianapolis right now. What the hell does it take to get that?

Maybe a new LB coach, a new DC, a new OC, and hell, why not a new HC!

I disagree. I think this is on the coaching staff. You see it all the time. A new coach comes in, like Harbaugh in Stanford, or Chip Kelly in Oregon and the team consistently overachieves at the beginning. They change the attitude. This team is clearly playing below it's capability, hence winning in the last minute at home against McNeese State. There are no excuses for what happened today, the team was not prepared, and that's on the staff.

Year 7..............

I think we'll be having the same discussion next year. This team has the talent to compete with the best, they clearly don't have the leadership. I mean, McNeese St? Really? At home?

we are half ass all the way.........9-4 some more.

Cotton made two mistakes that just happen to be situations that could happen on any play. Just happened to be on big ones. If they were on no gainers no one would give a sh#t. Thats a hindsight thing. Theywere also aggressive penalties. Make a mistake at full speed they say.

"Just happened to be on big ones" cannot happen. Directly cost points and field position. He's a captain.

So because he is a captain, he isn't allowed to make mistakes? Well I guess we have no qualified captains, then.

It's not "just" the mistakes.....it's when they happen. It's a comment about leadership.

How do you know if the play would be a TD or a big gain if the penalty usually happens before the TD or long gain occurs? It's not like the play was already a big play and he blocked someone in the back. The result of the play was still very much in doubt when the infraction occurred. The fact that they occurred on the plays they did was unfortunate.

While you may consider Cotton's penalties "unfortunate", I believe they must be avoided. One directly cost 4 points and the other field position in the red zone after Westy's great catch.

Year 7..............

Jeez beez

I couldnt help myself. I have nothing more to add.

• Fire 1

How do you know if the play would be a TD or a big gain if the penalty usually happens before the TD or long gain occurs? It's not like the play was already a big play and he blocked someone in the back. The result of the play was still very much in doubt when the infraction occurred. The fact that they occurred on the plays they did was unfortunate.

The tripping call happened nowhere near the play. It was a little tacky, sure, Cotton stuck his leg up as he fell down while Tommy was already several yards away diving into the endzone. 7 points turned into 3.

The second play was pretty bad. It's crunch time now, we're calling a pass play on 3rd and 2 (also questionable, I thought) and Cotton floats more than several yards downfield for whatever reason. It seemed he had no idea where he was on the field. Can't be doing that on pass plays, and he had no effect on the 40-yard bomb.

By the way, that bit of scrambling and heave were GREAT by Tommy. It's impossible to watch him play and not love what he brings to the table, IMO. And is there any doubt that he won't be the team's hardest worker in improving his weaknesses? He keeps that up, he'll end up a pretty special player.

The tripping call happened nowhere near the play. It was a little tacky, sure, Cotton stuck his leg up as he fell down while Tommy was already several yards away diving into the endzone. 7 points turned into 3.

The second play was pretty bad. It's crunch time now, we're calling a pass play on 3rd and 2 (also questionable, I thought) and Cotton floats more than several yards downfield for whatever reason. It seemed he had no idea where he was on the field. Can't be doing that on pass plays, and he had no effect on the 40-yard bomb.

By the way, that bit of scrambling and heave were GREAT by Tommy. It's impossible to watch him play and not love what he brings to the table, IMO. And is there any doubt that he won't be the team's hardest worker in improving his weaknesses? He keeps that up, he'll end up a pretty special player.

Maybe he's used to blocking for Taylor, so he figured he was scrambling or already tackled. But I agree that that one hurt. He knew it and you could tell he was mad at himself.

Never been a fan of Kenny's. Does not seem to be a team player to me, and have stated it numerous times. Individuals on teams cause problems, individuality on teams being allowed causes real problems.

We are early in a season, we all need to calm down a bit. Yes this game hurt, opened old festering wounds. But we need to stay positive as the kids do.

Okay I have invested a couple thousand in next week's game, who's coming?

Ya but as soon as he scores a TD people talk about how amazing he is!! It amazes me how I see so many people on here give so much praise about players one week and then crap on them the next week! I guarantee in the game day threads next week and throughout the year people will be talking up someone one minute and then saying why and the hell is he on the field the next. I think we have to many bipolar people on this thread!! I would hate to see how many guys give a half A$$ effort in their jobs but profess to be amazing at what they do!

• Fire 1

Never said the kid could not play, just do not feel he is a team player. He is about himself and has been since he first started here. Some are like that. I am not a fan. Never have been. Do I cheer for him when he plays well? of course.

Personally, while I can't say I was his close friend or anything, as someone who knew him from a couple classes, I disagree. I think he does care greatly. Again, not talking crap on you, just saying I think he does care about being the best for Nebraska.

Never said the kid could not play, just do not feel he is a team player. He is about himself and has been since he first started here. Some are like that. I am not a fan. Never have been. Do I cheer for him when he plays well? of course.

I apologize I wasn't meaning this for you I was talking about people in general on this thread

"I hold this ball club to a very high standard. I have a lot of respect for McNeese State, but I feel like we're a much better ball club than McNeese State. We didn't respect the game. McNeese State, they do. They come out, they don't care who they're playing. Those players are very talented, as you can see. But the Nebraska Cornhuskers... starting tomorrow we're going to bring a different attitude."

- Ameer Abdullah, post-game presser

If this team had the heart and guts McNeese State does, I'd pencil us in for Indianapolis right now. What the hell does it take to get that?

Sounds like a coaching issue or the players recruited by the coaches have grown complacent and Nebraska needs a Charlie Strong like roster wipe. As amazing as Ameer is, he can't change a systemic issue.

Bolded for emphasis.

I know you're all referring to our coaches as the systemic issue, and here's what I'd say to that:

Are our coaches perfect? No. No coach in the nation is perfect. And if you guys think that if we had Nick Saban everything would be all hunky dory, don't be so naive. Saban coached for years before he was able to reach the level of success that even Bo has sustained in his first 6 years.

I agree that player entitlement is a systemic issue, but I'd consider the systemic issue to be much more broad than our program, coaches, etc. It's more about society in general. I have dozens of teenagers walk through my door every day, and finding one that doesn't have a completely overbearing sense of entitlement toward absolutely everything is a rare find. I've got a few, and they are leaders in my classroom, as well as the extra-curriculars that I sponsor.

IMO, Bo and his staff have done an exceptional job of not only sustaining a high level of success, but also making sure that the young men that walk into Memorial Stadium are better people when they leave than when they came. Without that, all of this is meaningless.

• Fire 2