Armstrong at QB

Tommy is a very good runner, however his passing is bad. Too many interceptions, and he seems to have trouble with the short passes. The TD to AA was a bad pass. NU needed a first down, and any normal human being had no chance to catch that pass and get a first down. I was very well defended to the point of setting up AA to get pounded. Props to AA for making a spectacular play. The behind the back catch last week should have been intercepted. What is scary is that he doesn't seem to be getting any better about throwing passes that can be picked. I was hoping the coaches would have worked with him in the off season to eliminate the interceptions.

Really? He gave us a better chance at getting the first down than if TA threw it deep into double coverage. It was the same play as the 4th down play against Northwestern. But Kellogg made the right choice there throwing in front of the sticks, right?

Really. That was a one in a million play by AA. Maybe that was the only option available, but it was not a good play by TA.

Better to not force it and live for overtime right? Good grief.

Tmart had 23 TD and 12 INT in his junior season along with 16 fumbles to lead all of college football. And if we're going to play the "boy that pass should have been intercepted" game Tmart's INT totals go way the hell up. Is Tommy the 2nd coming of Joe Montana? No. But he's at least got the physical skillset to be a solid QB for us and personally don't think our playcalling plays to his strengths, but whatever. If we had a better option I would assume we'd play them, so maybe we should focus on how pathetic our offensive line was rather than bitching about the QB, who by the way had us in game winning position had it not been for our stupid ass OL getting a penalty to negate it. I'm sure that play escaped your memory though.

I never said TA isn't our best option. In fact I said he is very good with the run game. I only said he has a tendency to throw ints. Others were stating that he made a great throw to AA, and IMHO, it was a throw that had nearly no chance of getting a first down.

If his tendency is to force throws and throw ints, then my point still stands. He forces a throw and throws a pick in that situation then we may lose that game. BTW, who knows what would have happened on 1st down had he not been blindsided and sacked. Again, our offensive line is awesome.

Little use in worrying about imaginary INTs that haven't happened yet. He is obviously far from a polished QB, as we all knew coming into the season. He's had several starts, yes, but he's only played 3 full games. I guess I'm the only one that remembers Taylor's improvement from his sophomore to his junior year. When the game slows down, and you fully grasp what you're supposed to do out there is when you see what a QB is fully capable of. We're not there yet with Tommy, but I think it's promising that what people are worried about are coachable and fixable with repetition, and not a matter of inability.

Also, couldn't agree more with this statement:

And watching games the rest of the day, we should be glad we have Tommy as our QB.

• Fire 2

Little use in worrying about imaginary INTs that haven't happened yet. He is obviously far from a polished QB, as we all knew coming into the season. He's had several starts, yes, but he's only played 3 full games. I guess I'm the only one that remembers Taylor's improvement from his sophomore to his junior year. When the game slows down, and you fully grasp what you're supposed to do out there is when you see what a QB is fully capable of. We're not there yet with Tommy, but I think it's promising that what people are worried about are coachable and fixable with repetition, and not a matter of inability.

And watching games the rest of the day, we should be glad we have Tommy as our QB.

Didn't TM work with a private QB coach after his sophomore season?

TA's tendency is to force throws and throw ints concerns me because of the coaching staff. TM's decision making never seemed to get better, and I don't know if the coaching staff is helping the QBs. I expected a hue improvement from TA between last year and this year.

Agree 100%. It's like we could use a QB coach or something.

• Fire 1

TA's tendency is to force throws and throw ints concerns me because of the coaching staff. TM's decision making never seemed to get better, and I don't know if the coaching staff is helping the QBs. I expected a hue improvement from TA between last year and this year.[/size]

I wouldn't judge Tommy too harshly based off yesterday. Nor did we need to go too crazy about the opening week. There's going be highs and lows. We have to remember he's just a sophomore. That offensive line wasn't doing Tommy or Abdullah any favors and that's saying something when Abdullah can't even find some space.

I think we saw how severely we need this running game and how much Beck panics when things aren't working. It all started up front with the big boys yesterday though. Very, very poor display by the offensive line.

To work on his basic passing mechanics, yes.

To work on his basic passing mechanics, yes.

Two entirely different situations people. I can't stress this enough.

• Fire 1

TA's tendency is to force throws and throw ints concerns me because of the coaching staff. TM's decision making never seemed to get better, and I don't know if the coaching staff is helping the QBs. I expected a hue improvement from TA between last year and this year.[/size]

I wouldn't judge Tommy too harshly based off yesterday. Nor did we need to go too crazy about the opening week. There's going be highs and lows. We have to remember he's just a sophomore. That offensive line wasn't doing Tommy or Abdullah any favors and that's saying something when Abdullah can't even find some space.

I think we saw how severely we need this running game and how much Beck panics when things aren't working. It all started up front with the big boys yesterday though. Very, very poor display by the offensive line.

I'm not judging him off of yesterday, he's got a full year worth of starts under his belt.

He wasn't the only problem in that abortion we saw yesterday, but he certainly wasn't the answer to winning football, either. He needs to get better fast if we want to make it to Indy.

I'm not judging him off of yesterday, he's got a full year worth of starts under his belt.

He wasn't the only problem in that abortion we saw yesterday, but he certainly wasn't the answer to winning football, either. He needs to get better fast if we want to make it to Indy.

Same thing I used to say about Martinez: He's not great.... but he's not even close to the biggest problem the team has.

• Fire 3

Tommy is the weak link. Stop making excuses or telling me he needs more experience. There are tons of qbs, on lesser teams, that are better then him.

"than"

And yet we have no one else to replace him that's better. So that's who's fault again? Oh yeah, that's right. The coaches.

Tommy is the weak link. Stop making excuses or telling me he needs more experience. There are tons of qbs, on lesser teams, that are better then him.

I pray this is a joke. Tommy was not the one failing at blocking.

Not saying he's a fantastic QB, but let's quit this crap about how terrible he is. Of course there are better QBs than him, that doesn't make him a bad QB, that's a terrible argument.

• Fire 2

I pray this is a joke. Tommy was not the one failing at blocking.

Not saying he's a fantastic QB, but let's quit this crap about how terrible he is. Of course there are better QBs than him, that doesn't make him a bad QB, that's a terrible argument.

The pass blocking was pretty good, the run blocking was pretty poor. Tommy missed a lot of wide open receivers,and in that 4th quarter, he seemed to panic and just air it out every pass play. That has to change immediately.