Armstrong at QB

it doesn't come down to Ameer making that play if jake cotton doesn't try to block a guy 18 yards down the field on an incredible catch by Westy. thats what makes me so mad is the stupid avoidable penalties that just kill our drives amber runs for 350 against FAU if not for STUPID penalties. we are also up 28-7 at halftime if not for more dumb penalties

If his tendency is to force throws and throw ints, then my point still stands. He forces a throw and throws a pick in that situation then we may lose that game. BTW, who knows what would have happened on 1st down had he not been blindsided and sacked. Again, our offensive line is awesome

I never said TA isn't our best option. In fact I said he is very good with the run game. I only said he has a tendency to throw ints. Others were stating that he made a great throw to AA, and IMHO, it was a throw that had nearly no chance of getting a first down.

Again, NU won 3 MNC's with QB's barely above 50%.

A completely different offensive system. Making that comparison is totally irrelevant.

I am sick and tired of this being an excuse. What was so different? Give me an offense that is exactly what we run today in the current college world and what does their QB do. Not "like" ours, but what we run.

The point being TO schemed to the strengths of the team and won. A lot. He was able to hide the inability in our QB's to complete passes in his system at a higher rate through play calling and execution in other phases of the game. beck hasn't and doesn't.

People clamoring for a 65% or better ain't gonna get that NU. Not with this system, whatever the hell it is.

I don't think we disagree... I'm not making an excuse. I'm just saying that in Beck's offensive system, a 50% QB isn't going to get the job done. And you can call for a more ground based offense, but that isn't in Beck's history. He likes to throw the ball. He's dying to. Pelini hired a buddy and (just like he did with Shawn Watson) is trying to get him to run an offense that he doesn't like to run.

Two major problems you listed there. Beck's constant need to jam the pass down our throats. Also, the disconnect between the staffs coaching and the scheme we are running. It seems Bo and Beck aren't on the same page and it also seems like our offensive line is not on the same page. I don't want to blame the players but the offensive line has been streaky like this for years now. I just wonder if it's due to what they are being asked to do?

Regardless, I just don't like what we are trying to do offensively. Especially with these slow developing run plays.

AGREED!!! GET IN THE I FORMATION AND RUN THE f'ing BALL . TRAP O PLAYS. PULL THE GUARDS PULL TACKLES PUT 3 TIGHT ENDS ON THE FIELD PUT 2 FULLBACKS ON THE FIELD LETS USE OUR SIZE AND RUN THE f'ing BALL DOWN PEOPLES THROATS NO MORE COUNTER bullsh#t SLOW DEVELOPING MISDIRECTION. PICK A HOLE BLOW IT OPEN AND LET AMEER DO HIS THING IN THE SECOND LEVEL.

He has performed as Bo Pelini has said all along he would.

• Makes some really nice plays and them plays he really wants to have back.

• His best throw of the game was the short pass to Abdullah.

• I have counted 4 passes that could have been intercepted but dropped by the opposition

• When he knows where he wants to go with the ball it's right on the money and as pretty as anything I have seen.

I think that is his major weakness right now. When we start playing better defenses those balls won't be dropped. It's weird though, on one play he'll drop one right into our WRs arms running in stride, then on the next play he'll throw it straight at the CB.

To his credit, Tommy usually makes good decisions on the read option and triple option. Usually. And he is a legit threat to run the ball on any play. DBs and LBs can't ignore him. He'll make them pay.

Yes, he had that disastrous pick 6 that turned the game around in McNeese's favor. Then there were those 4 errant throws that could have also been picks. On many of those, his receiver bailed him out, acting as a defender and preventing the McNeese player from catching the ball. Armstrong is aptly named. He has a cannon for an arm. Now he needs to work on the fundamentals of not making errant throws.

You can not blame all this on Tommy. Beck's playing calling was terrible, based on the fact that Bell & Turner were on the bench. There was a lack of WR speed, which is a real concern in the future. This team was able to go one on one & double team Westercamp, while blitzing on almost every down. You have to call plays that fit your personnel.

Not that we couldn't have done things differently but there were several plays that led to a wide open receiver 10-15 yards downfield but the pass was off. That is absolutely on the quarterback when he has room and time to throw.

I'm a big fan of setting a player's @ss on the bench for a series or two if he keeps repeating the same sort of mistake. That would give Ryker Fyfe some snaps and Tommy Armstrong some time to reflect. Plus, Armstrong would then be just as worried as the rest of us that he'll make a bonehead decision. :funnyhahah

Steven M. Sipple@HuskerExtraSip 3m

Tommy Armstrong, on a few occasions, made his mind up too early where he was going to throw the ball, Pelini said. #Huskers

Steven M. Sipple@HuskerExtraSip 1h

Tommy Armstrong reverted to bad habits in his 3-step-drop footwork. Led to low throws "when we could've had some enormous plays," Bo says.

Yea, that pick six was just a horrendous example. I expect the kid to struggle regardless of how much I like his talent, but man that was just ugly. The last thing I thought this kid was is the arrogant type who feels he doesn't need to bring it everyday. I always was led to believe quite the opposite. I'm not sure about that part anymore but we will surely find out. These guys have got to commit to getting better each and every day. It's ridiculous at this point that they haven't figured that out yet.

You can not blame all this on Tommy. Beck's playing calling was terrible, based on the fact that Bell & Turner were on the bench. There was a lack of WR speed, which is a real concern in the future. This team was able to go one on one & double team Westercamp, while blitzing on almost every down. You have to call plays that fit your personnel.

Not that we couldn't have done things differently but there were several plays that led to a wide open receiver 10-15 yards downfield but the pass was off. That is absolutely on the quarterback when he has room and time to throw.

Tommysmlove affair with the deep ball needs to die down a bit. Not saying give up on it entirely, but he goes deep quite a bit. Checking down to Ameer is obviously a problem for Tommy according to anybody close to the situation. He has to be more willing to do that. Also, some of those short routes are there and need to be an option for him. Idmlike to see us exploit opposing linebackers more like they do to us. heck, sometimes Ameer isn't covered at all. Still, losing two of our top WR's did contribute to some missed throws.