Fyfe (nothing bad)

okaive

I love that this thread, instead of celebrating that we have a competent back up quarterback, has become a circle jerk arguing against the strawman argument that anyone would want to replace Tommy Armstrong with Ryker Fyfe.

We have no idea if we have a competent backup quarterback. We've seen Fyfe look pretty good in the Spring Game and not too shabby in mop-up duty in two blowouts. Here's hoping he's even better than he looked there, because we'll need better if we're going to accomplish anything if Tommy gets hurt. At this point, we have no idea if Fyfe is competent from the get-go.

Mop-up time against Fresno State's 1st string defense, you do remember that they left their starters in the whole game right? I'm not saying the guy is gonna start on Sundays, but he looks like a pretty good backup. I still have no idea where the nonsense "why do you guys want Fyfe as the starter" came from.

i just thought it was weird to be so high on fyfe with such little evidence and so critical of tommy when he is producing good numbers and wins. i mean, he is now 10-1 as a starter.

I think it's weird to be so critical of a fan for having valid concerns about the starter. Did you defend TMart with such vigor the past 4 years?

I didn't realize that being excited we have a competent backup means I can't have criticisms for the starter. Or that my expectations for the very different roles can't be different. I want TA to be great (which currently, he is not) and I want Fyfe to be good enough to play if he has to (which he is).

I've mentioned it several times, but I find his 9-8 TD/INT ratio from last year concerning. Especially given that I have not seen the improvement that I expected from him in the offseason (I know I'm not the only one that has seen opposing defenses drop sure interceptions). I want TA to improve as a QB, sue me.

Bo Pelini started a redshirt freshman at QB over a returning Senior starter with Taylor Martinez. He then started a redshirt Freshman over a 5th year senior last year.

If Bo thought Fyfe was the right guy for the job, I am led to believe he would be the starter. But he isn't better and isn't starting.

Please, for the love of God stop with this straw man argument. No one in this thread has stated they want to replace TA with Fyfe (except for one joke about his name sounding like a spy).

Bo Pelini started a redshirt freshman at QB over a returning Senior starter with Taylor Martinez. He then started a redshirt Freshman over a 5th year senior last year.

If Bo thought Fyfe was the right guy for the job, I am led to believe he would be the starter. But he isn't better and isn't starting.

The only reason Bo started TA over Martinez last year was because Martinez was hurt. It wasn't like Martinez was benched in favor of TA.

The only reason Bo started TA over Martinez last year was because Martinez was hurt. It wasn't like Martinez was benched in favor of TA.

I think he's talking about RK3

I was referring to Kellogg.

I think it's weird to be so critical of a fan for having valid concerns about the starter. Did you defend TMart with such vigor the past 4 years?

I didn't realize that being excited we have a competent backup means I can't have criticisms for the starter. Or that my expectations for the very different roles can't be different. I want TA to be great (which currently, he is not) and I want Fyfe to be good enough to play if he has to (which he is).

I've mentioned it several times, but I find his 9-8 TD/INT ratio from last year concerning. Especially given that I have not seen the improvement that I expected from him in the offseason (I know I'm not the only one that has seen opposing defenses drop sure interceptions). I want TA to improve as a QB, sue me.

I defended T-Mart with the same vigor. And Zac Lee, and Joey Ganz, and Sam Keller, and Zac Taylor, and....

I don't get the idea of picking favorites on a team, to the detriment of other guys on the team. They're all my guys. Not saying that's what's going on here, but we've definitely seen this with anti-Martinez threads in the past, and anti-Keller, etc.

That 9/8 TD/INT ratio is awful, no question. But that was his first year starting, as a Redshirt Freshman, and he was really raw. If we'd have had the luxury of letting him get all polished up last year in backup duty while Martinez had a glorious senior year, that would have been ideal, but it didn't work out that way and it's pretty obvious Tommy was really, really raw.

Despite that, he had flashes of brilliance last year. That game against Michigan, in front of the largest crowd in college football, was great. It spoke volumes about his mental toughness, even though he was still mistake-prone.

This year he's got a 9/1 ratio, I think. Surely that's reason for great optimism, isn't it?

• Fire 1

I was referring to Kellogg.

Now I see what you were referring to.

1) I think it's weird to be so critical of a fan for having valid concerns about the starter. Did you defend TMart with such vigor the past 4 years?

2) I didn't realize that being excited we have a competent backup means I can't have criticisms for the starter. Or that my expectations for the very different roles can't be different. I want TA to be great (which currently, he is not) and I want Fyfe to be good enough to play if he has to (which he is).

3) I've mentioned it several times, but I find his 9-8 TD/INT ratio from last year concerning. Especially given that I have not seen the improvement that I expected from him in the offseason (I know I'm not the only one that has seen opposing defenses drop sure interceptions). I want TA to improve as a QB, sue me.

1) Valid concerns about the starter are fine. You're using a strawman argument that suggests others are saying you can't have concerns, which is not what's happening or being discussed. And who cares about which fans said what about TM?

2) I simply disagree with your opinion that Fyfe is good enough to play. I haven't seen enough from him. He's thrown some REALLY bad passes into the dirt, which is worse than what TA has shown. So I'm leaning more towards poor passer than good passer.

3) TA went from 9-8 TD/INT to 7-1. What more could you possibly want for a sign of improvement? If you're going to criticize him at least us a compelling stat and not one that contradicts your conclusion.

• Fire 4

1) I think it's weird to be so critical of a fan for having valid concerns about the starter. Did you defend TMart with such vigor the past 4 years?

2) I didn't realize that being excited we have a competent backup means I can't have criticisms for the starter. Or that my expectations for the very different roles can't be different. I want TA to be great (which currently, he is not) and I want Fyfe to be good enough to play if he has to (which he is).

3) I've mentioned it several times, but I find his 9-8 TD/INT ratio from last year concerning. Especially given that I have not seen the improvement that I expected from him in the offseason (I know I'm not the only one that has seen opposing defenses drop sure interceptions). I want TA to improve as a QB, sue me.

1) Valid concerns about the starter are fine. You're using a strawman argument that suggests others are saying you can't have concerns, which is not what's happening or being discussed. And who cares about which fans said what about TM?

2) I simply disagree with your opinion that Fyfe is good enough to play. I haven't seen enough from him. He's thrown some REALLY bad passes into the dirt, which is worse than what TA has shown. So I'm leaning more towards poor passer than good passer.

3) TA went from 9-8 TD/INT to 7-1. What more could you possibly want for a sign of improvement? If you're going to criticize him at least us a compelling stat and not one that contradicts your conclusion.

1. These same fans that constantly attacked TM are the ones attacking anyone that criticizes TA.

2. I think he is good enough to play AS A BACKUP. I'm tired of this straw man that people want Fyfe to play over Tommy.

3. 7-1 against weak ass secondaries. He has thrown multiple passes that against a decent defense would have been sure interceptions. It isn't the numbers (although last season's are a little more representative of his body of work against decent/good teams than this season's) it is the decision making that leads to the numbers and luck. So far luck has been on TA's side but it won't be against MSU or Wiscy. But stats that contradict the party-line of "TA is the second coming of Tommie Frazier get ignored. 53% passing against cupcakes is downright embarrassing. Explain it away all you want, but unless he shows some improvement we're going to get killed against our conference opponents.

I defended T-Mart with the same vigor. And Zac Lee, and Joey Ganz, and Sam Keller, and Zac Taylor, and....

I don't get the idea of picking favorites on a team, to the detriment of other guys on the team. They're all my guys. Not saying that's what's going on here, but we've definitely seen this with anti-Martinez threads in the past, and anti-Keller, etc.

That 9/8 TD/INT ratio is awful, no question. But that was his first year starting, as a Redshirt Freshman, and he was really raw. If we'd have had the luxury of letting him get all polished up last year in backup duty while Martinez had a glorious senior year, that would have been ideal, but it didn't work out that way and it's pretty obvious Tommy was really, really raw.

Despite that, he had flashes of brilliance last year. That game against Michigan, in front of the largest crowd in college football, was great. It spoke volumes about his mental toughness, even though he was still mistake-prone.

This year he's got a 9/1 ratio, I think. Surely that's reason for great optimism, isn't it?

My post was mostly targeted to sd'sker. But I want to address the idea that I am not optimistic. I am, I've said it multiple times that I don't think there is a sure loss on our schedule. I think TA can be a GREAT QB at Nebraska. But that doesn't mean I won't point out areas I'd like for him to improve in. But that gets lost here. Instead of discussing the merits, we get posts like sd'skers (I'm not sure I've ever seen him actually argue the merits, he seems to favor making snide comments).

Is it so bad to want our starter to improve? Is it, like you seem to infer, impossible to be critical and supportive at the same time?

I don't like TA's completion percentage. The reply is always, "in our system that doesn't matter" even though against McNeese State it almost cost us the game. Or I get, "Frazier's completion percentage was in the same range" but TA is no Tommie Frazier.

I want us to win. I want TA to win. But it seems like to some, I can only be supportive by claiming TA is the best QB in the country and has no faults.

1. These same fans that constantly attacked TM are the ones attacking anyone that criticizes TA.

2. I think he is good enough to play AS A BACKUP. I'm tired of this straw man that people want Fyfe to play over Tommy.

3. 7-1 against weak ass secondaries. He has thrown multiple passes that against a decent defense would have been sure interceptions. It isn't the numbers (although last season's are a little more representative of his body of work against decent/good teams than this season's) it is the decision making that leads to the numbers and luck. So far luck has been on TA's side but it won't be against MSU or Wiscy. But stats that contradict the party-line of "TA is the second coming of Tommie Frazier get ignored. 53% passing against cupcakes is downright embarrassing. Explain it away all you want, but unless he shows some improvement we're going to get killed against our conference opponents.

there is a lot of football left to play...........Beck can do a lot to keep Tommie out of risky situations.

My post was mostly targeted to sd'sker. But I want to address the idea that I am not optimistic. I am, I've said it multiple times that I don't think there is a sure loss on our schedule. I think TA can be a GREAT QB at Nebraska. But that doesn't mean I won't point out areas I'd like for him to improve in. But that gets lost here. Instead of discussing the merits, we get posts like sd'skers (I'm not sure I've ever seen him actually argue the merits, he seems to favor making snide comments).

Is it so bad to want our starter to improve? Is it, like you seem to infer, impossible to be critical and supportive at the same time?

I don't like TA's completion percentage. The reply is always, "in our system that doesn't matter" even though against McNeese State it almost cost us the game. Or I get, "Frazier's completion percentage was in the same range" but TA is no Tommie Frazier.

I want us to win. I want TA to win. But it seems like to some, I can only be supportive by claiming TA is the best QB in the country and has no faults.

Well, I don't think anyone likes sd'sker, progenitor of the apostrophists. ;)

It doesn't come across as wanting Tommy to improve. It comes across as wanting the next guy, someone not named Tommy Armstrong. It comes across very much like the stuff we used to see about Martinez, who still has 30-something Nebraska records in his pocket. I'm also missing where you're being supportive of Tommy, so if that's out there, I'm not getting it. Or, to put it in football parlance, the supportive/critical posts seem to outweigh Tommy's current 7:1 TD/INT ratio. But that could just be an opinion.

I'm critical and supportive of Tommy. I have griped about his missing the check-down man, and his turnovers last year. But here I am, being supportive. It's when the narrative is so heavily weighted toward one side that people start to get called out.

The last line, "But it seems like to some, I can only be supportive by claiming TA is the best QB in the country and has no faults," is hyperbole, and probably explains a bit about why you're getting blowback on what you consider just criticism of Tommy's game.

• Fire 2