Fyfe (nothing bad)

okaive

Man people are going goofy I think. Armstrong is the clear cut leader and with out a doubt should be. I cant wait until TA gets more consistent in the passing game, when he is on he is dead on, and looks pretty doing it. I think when he is off most of the time is miscommunication, and then just bad play like staring down receivers, forcing balls, and not going through progressions. His rushing this year is also a bright spot along with his command of the offense.

Fyfe is a strong 2nd and is because he knows the offense and really his play is pretty darn good but just not good enough to beat out Tommy.

Stanton, well it has been said that he would be the two or maybe even the one if he got a better handle of the offense. He is not as fast in the run but has power. His passing game when he is clicking with the O is said to be far and above the other two which must be pretty damn good considering what the other two can do.

• Fire 1

My post was mostly targeted to sd'sker. But I want to address the idea that I am not optimistic. I am, I've said it multiple times that I don't think there is a sure loss on our schedule. I think TA can be a GREAT QB at Nebraska. But that doesn't mean I won't point out areas I'd like for him to improve in. But that gets lost here. Instead of discussing the merits, we get posts like sd'skers (I'm not sure I've ever seen him actually argue the merits, he seems to favor making snide comments).

Is it so bad to want our starter to improve? Is it, like you seem to infer, impossible to be critical and supportive at the same time?

I don't like TA's completion percentage. The reply is always, "in our system that doesn't matter" even though against McNeese State it almost cost us the game. Or I get, "Frazier's completion percentage was in the same range" but TA is no Tommie Frazier.

I want us to win. I want TA to win. But it seems like to some, I can only be supportive by claiming TA is the best QB in the country and has no faults.

Well, I don't think anyone likes sd'sker, progenitor of the apostrophists. ;)

It doesn't come across as wanting Tommy to improve. It comes across as wanting the next guy, someone not named Tommy Armstrong. It comes across very much like the stuff we used to see about Martinez, who still has 30-something Nebraska records in his pocket. I'm also missing where you're being supportive of Tommy, so if that's out there, I'm not getting it. Or, to put it in football parlance, the supportive/critical posts seem to outweigh Tommy's current 7:1 TD/INT ratio. But that could just be an opinion.

I'm critical and supportive of Tommy. I have griped about his missing the check-down man, and his turnovers last year. But here I am, being supportive. It's when the narrative is so heavily weighted toward one side that people start to get called out.

The last line, "But it seems like to some, I can only be supportive by claiming TA is the best QB in the country and has no faults," is hyperbole, and probably explains a bit about why you're getting blowback on what you consider just criticism of Tommy's game.

I'm not going to bother posting every comment I've made about TA that clearly states he is the clearcut starter, as honestly does it really matter at this point? We've actually discussed most of this in person at the spring game, and what seemed like reasonable criticisms there has turned into a perceived hatred (by some) of mine towards TA. I mention his 53% completion rating and I get ridiculed. I mention his turnovers from last year and I get ridiculed. I support our backup QB, for being a good BACKUP and I get called a hypocrite for having concerns about the starter.

Do you honestly disagree that there are people on this board that view any criticism (including valid ones) as an outright attack on TA? That equate wanting improvement in our starter with asking for his removal from the role?

No, I agree. There are kneejerk reactions by lots of people here.

And I know I am pretty quick to get defensive. It's been a problem of mine for a long while, and that it exacerbates things like this. But my character flaws aside, I love this team and want them to succeed. I want Tommy to succeed. I just want him to increase his damned completion percentage, and keep the current TD/INT ratio and not go back to last year's dismal number. On this note, I'm going to take a break from discussing TA and my criticisms. I don't think it's healthy for me or the board right now.

• Fire 1

Don't know why, maybe it is his name, but something makes me root for this kid. I was shouting his name as loud as I could at the game, not sure how much they can hear out on the field. Ryker Fyfe sounds like a spy name. He should be starting.

heath-wha.gif

To everyone making a big debate about him starting, I was drunk and just wanted him to start based solely on his name. As a sober man, I can see why this is a bad idea.

1) I think it's weird to be so critical of a fan for having valid concerns about the starter. Did you defend TMart with such vigor the past 4 years?

2) I didn't realize that being excited we have a competent backup means I can't have criticisms for the starter. Or that my expectations for the very different roles can't be different. I want TA to be great (which currently, he is not) and I want Fyfe to be good enough to play if he has to (which he is).

3) I've mentioned it several times, but I find his 9-8 TD/INT ratio from last year concerning. Especially given that I have not seen the improvement that I expected from him in the offseason (I know I'm not the only one that has seen opposing defenses drop sure interceptions). I want TA to improve as a QB, sue me.

1) Valid concerns about the starter are fine. You're using a strawman argument that suggests others are saying you can't have concerns, which is not what's happening or being discussed. And who cares about which fans said what about TM?

2) I simply disagree with your opinion that Fyfe is good enough to play. I haven't seen enough from him. He's thrown some REALLY bad passes into the dirt, which is worse than what TA has shown. So I'm leaning more towards poor passer than good passer.

3) TA went from 9-8 TD/INT to 7-1. What more could you possibly want for a sign of improvement? If you're going to criticize him at least us a compelling stat and not one that contradicts your conclusion.

1. These same fans that constantly attacked TM are the ones attacking anyone that criticizes TA.

2. I think he is good enough to play AS A BACKUP. I'm tired of this straw man that people want Fyfe to play over Tommy.

3. 7-1 against weak ass secondaries. He has thrown multiple passes that against a decent defense would have been sure interceptions. It isn't the numbers (although last season's are a little more representative of his body of work against decent/good teams than this season's) it is the decision making that leads to the numbers and luck. So far luck has been on TA's side but it won't be against MSU or Wiscy. But stats that contradict the party-line of "TA is the second coming of Tommie Frazier get ignored. 53% passing against cupcakes is downright embarrassing. Explain it away all you want, but unless he shows some improvement we're going to get killed against our conference opponents.

1) Another strawman argument and has nothing to do with anyone's opinion of a different QB. Additionally your statement is untrue - some of those fans may be the same, but I both criticized and defended TM. And I'm doing the same with TA.

2) Your posts seem like your comparing TA and Fyfe - my mistake if you're not. Regardless, I disagree with your assessment that Fyfe is a good passer. He's 3-7 so far with some REALLY bad throws into the dirt, which actually suggests he's a poor passer. IMO we haven't seen enough to say one way or the other. As for "good enough to play as a backup", that has applied to every player that's ever rode the pine as a QB. I guess "good enough" for me means he's good enough to be a quality starter - just an opinion with no correct answer.

3) You're basically saying that the stats that support him improving aren't relevant but the stats that show no improvement are relevant. Your reasoning is unsound. You then extrapolate from that flawed reasoning to us getting killed against future opponents. Additionally, you assume that 53% completion is "downright embarrassing", which I and others disagree with and reasons for that being an ok completion percentage have been given.

I'm disagreeing with your opinions and some reasoning for your opinions. You (and other posters) can choose to make whatever you want from my comments.

• Fire 1

Im a huge fan of Tommy Armstrong and I think he has tremendous potential. But I heard something on overreaction the other night/morning from Matt Vrzal. He said flat out that he doesnt think Tommy is the qb by the end of the year. The other guys laughed and joked about him opening pandora's box and such. But then he went on his serious explanation. He says look, we all saw the fall practices. They were open to the media. We all know this qb "battle" was much closer than what folks are being lead to believe. And seeing what Beck is good at managing, and knowing the direction that Bo wants the offense to go, I just think we have the wrong guy managing it. There are other guys that fit that direction much better.

Just repeating what was said. Kind of a kick in the nuts for someone like me who's excited as hell about Tommy.

I would take Matt Vrzal's opinion about Ryker Fyfe with a huge grain of salt. They are both from Grand Island, so I am thinking Vrzal is sticking up for his GI boy.

True. But he never mentioned a particular althernative. Just what he thought. He could mean Stanton.

I saw the spring game as well, so I'm also under the assumption that if Stanton has the light turn on mentally and gets it between the ears, I believe he'll quickly blow past the other two and shoot to number 1 on the depth chart. It's happened before (Kiethen McCant)

There is a big difference between Stanton and Keithan McCant. Stanton is a RS Frosh, while McCant was a 5th year senior. Also, McCant just had to beat out Mickey Joseph who was coming off a terrible leg injury and Touchdown Tommy Haase.

I am not saying Stanton won't come back and eventually beat out Armstrong (this year or down the road), but your comparison doesn't make sense to me.

I was just speaking of a situation similar that it has happened before where a 3rd string guy skyrocketed out of nowhere to take the starting job.

What if Tommy has a terrible leg injury in the next few weeks, and Stanton winds up going ahead of Fyfe? Then does it become similar? Jesus.

I personally thought Tommy looked great against Fresno as well. Let's not forget that this is a Fresno team that has given up 50+ points their first 3 games. When it's all said and done I feel much more confident with Tommy Armstrong going up against the likes of Miami, Michigan St., and Wisconsin over Ryker.

I'd like to but even with the zero turnovers against Fresno there were definitely a few that could have easily been picks. He has a lot to prove yet for me at least before I feel comfortable. I still want to see what Fyfe and Stanton too can do out there. Once the jitters are gone against a decent opponent. I think they'd move the chains.

I personally thought Tommy looked great against Fresno as well. Let's not forget that this is a Fresno team that has given up 50+ points their first 3 games. When it's all said and done I feel much more confident with Tommy Armstrong going up against the likes of Miami, Michigan St., and Wisconsin over Ryker.

I'd like to but even with the zero turnovers against Fresno there were definitely a few that could have easily been picks. He has a lot to prove yet for me at least before I feel comfortable. I still want to see what Fyfe and Stanton too can do out there. Once the jitters are gone against a decent opponent. I think they'd move the chains.

you got to trust the coaches put the best on the field.....and forget about it.

The last two games teams have sold out to stop the run. TA is getting the same treatment that Martinez got. Make him prove he can throw the ball & make the right reads. So far TA has done fairly well. Throws a good deep ball, but has struggled on some of the short passes. Those are the ones that are tougher when teams are creeping up in the box & look even worse when he throws a different route then the WR is running. Better teams won't put there CB's on an island with no safety over the top like they seen in the past two weeks. It worked well for McNesse St, but they offense was better prepared for it against Fresno St.

you got to trust the coaches put the best on the field.....and forget about it.

Exactly, otherwise watching the huskers play wont be enjoyable and then you have to ask yourself why you do it if you really don't like it.

I liked the way Fyfe played in his limited time against Fresno State. He seemed to play with more confidence and greater urgency than I remembered seeing from him previously, and he executed the offense well. Couple confidence and urgency with execution, and you've got a winner.

I still like the way Armstrong is playing too, so I'm not in any type of panic-mode. I trust the coaches will play the QB who gives the team the best chance to win, whether it be Armstrong, Fyfe, Stanton, Brokemeier, Bush, Darlington or whoever.