Fyfe (nothing bad)

okaive

I don't think that debate seriously exists. I'm suggesting that perhaps people are seriously overrating the "Ryker Fyfe, short pass maestro" thing. Because if he did start games, isn't it reasonable to expect that he'd have a lot of learning on the field to do, at this stage in his career? Wouldn't he be flustered by sophisticated defenses, etc?

i agree with this. we have seen fyfe in the spring game and some garbage time. shocking that someone could assess his on-the-field maturity from such a shockingly small sampling.

• Fire 1

I personally thought Tommy looked great against Fresno as well. Let's not forget that this is a Fresno team that has given up 50+ points their first 3 games. When it's all said and done I feel much more confident with Tommy Armstrong going up against the likes of Miami, Michigan St., and Wisconsin over Ryker. He has the experience, and he's 10-1 as a starter. I like our QB situation it's good to know that we have a solid backup in Fyfe, but make no mistake Tommy is and should be the starter of this team.

tommie has the experience........but his passing skills are far from great...... staring down his receivers is a basic flaw that should be corrected in practice....doing this in game time will prove troublesome.

People act like Tommie stares down receivers on every play. In fact, he doesn't do it very often. Wh do Husker fans need to exaggerate flaws of our own players?

Im a huge fan of Tommy Armstrong and I think he has tremendous potential. But I heard something on overreaction the other night/morning from Matt Vrzal. He said flat out that he doesnt think Tommy is the qb by the end of the year. The other guys laughed and joked about him opening pandora's box and such. But then he went on his serious explanation. He says look, we all saw the fall practices. They were open to the media. We all know this qb "battle" was much closer than what folks are being lead to believe. And seeing what Beck is good at managing, and knowing the direction that Bo wants the offense to go, I just think we have the wrong guy managing it. There are other guys that fit that direction much better.

Just repeating what was said. Kind of a kick in the nuts for someone like me who's excited as hell about Tommy.

Im a huge fan of Tommy Armstrong and I think he has tremendous potential. But I heard something on overreaction the other night/morning from Matt Vrzal. He said flat out that he doesnt think Tommy is the qb by the end of the year. The other guys laughed and joked about him opening pandora's box and such. But then he went on his serious explanation. He says look, we all saw the fall practices. They were open to the media. We all know this qb "battle" was much closer than what folks are being lead to believe. And seeing what Beck is good at managing, and knowing the direction that Bo wants the offense to go, I just think we have the wrong guy managing it. There are other guys that fit that direction much better.

Just repeating what was said. Kind of a kick in the nuts for someone like me who's excited as hell about Tommy.

I would take Matt Vrzal's opinion about Ryker Fyfe with a huge grain of salt. They are both from Grand Island, so I am thinking Vrzal is sticking up for his GI boy.

I'd very much welcome Fyfe to prove me wrong, but if Tommy goes down, Stanton would have to be your long term answer I'd think.

Why? Because he was a highly touted recruit and fyfe is from GI?

Not at all. Simply upside potential as opposed to a lower ceiling with Fyfe. Like I said, I'd love for him to prove me wrong, but that's just what I see/feel, right, wrong, or indifferent.

I'd very much welcome Fyfe to prove me wrong, but if Tommy goes down, Stanton would have to be your long term answer I'd think.

Why? Because he was a highly touted recruit and fyfe is from GI?

Not at all. Simply upside potential as opposed to a lower ceiling with Fyfe. Like I said, I'd love for him to prove me wrong, but that's just what I see/feel, right, wrong, or indifferent.

I think his question was basically, what are you basing that "see/feel" on?

What do people see in Ryker Fyfe that gets them so excited, and when exactly did they see it?

In a mop-up duty against a demoralized Fresno State defense Ryker threw three passes, two were completions, one was a pretty bad throw. He had a nice scramble, no better or worse than Tommy Armstrong, or any number of quarterback confronted with a wide-open field.

Armstrong does look off receivers. Always has. Does it better than many Nebraska QBs of the past. But given his pass protection -- better than Taylor Martinez ever received -- he also has the luxury of watching his primary receiver get separation and be open for a bigger gain than if he were to turn and dump off to an equally open RB in the flat.

The level of second-guessing around here never ceases to amaze me.

• Fire 3

I personally thought Tommy looked great against Fresno as well. Let's not forget that this is a Fresno team that has given up 50+ points their first 3 games. When it's all said and done I feel much more confident with Tommy Armstrong going up against the likes of Miami, Michigan St., and Wisconsin over Ryker. He has the experience, and he's 10-1 as a starter. I like our QB situation it's good to know that we have a solid backup in Fyfe, but make no mistake Tommy is and should be the starter of this team.

tommie has the experience........but his passing skills are far from great...... staring down his receivers is a basic flaw that should be corrected in practice....doing this in game time will prove troublesome.

People act like Tommie stares down receivers on every play. In fact, he doesn't do it very often. Wh do Husker fans need to exaggerate flaws of our own players?
He doesn't do it every play but he does it A LOT, and usually at the most in opportune time. A la trying to force a deep ball when a check down gets you a first down and keeps the drive alive.

I would take Matt Vrzal's opinion about Ryker Fyfe with a huge grain of salt. They are both from Grand Island, so I am thinking Vrzal is sticking up for his GI boy.

Who the Hell is Matt Vrzal?

I remember one time when I was younger, I went to a game. I can't remember which game it was, but it was garbage time.

Frankie London came in. He ran the option. BOOM! He ran it incredibly well! Not only did he run it well, he had by far the best pitch to the RB I have ever seen in my life. I remember thinking to myself "OH BOY! We have a great future with this kid!"

I couldn't believe how we were stuck with some dude who played at Stanford before he came here. Some guy name Scott Frost. What a joke! Sure the guy won us a NC but it's clear having seen Frankie London in garbage time, that he was clearly superior!

He then switched to wingback and we got stuck with this dude named Eric Crouch.

I shake my head to this day of what could have been...

True. But he never mentioned a particular althernative. Just what he thought. He could mean Stanton.

I saw the spring game as well, so I'm also under the assumption that if Stanton has the light turn on mentally and gets it between the ears, I believe he'll quickly blow past the other two and shoot to number 1 on the depth chart. It's happened before (Kiethen McCant)