Turn Back the Clock -- If Interweb Message Boards Existed in 1994

Great OP :thumbs The ups and downs of that year were unbelievable. I think all of HuskerNation knew we were better than FSU the year before and we soooo wanted to prove it. Then Tommie's blood clot, Brook's lung, etc had us on edge. Then the O Bowl starts out wt Miami leads and taunts, we catch up, Brook's int in the 4th but then Tommie willed us to the win wt the 2 great fullback traps to Schlesinger Yes, 10 years of demons jumped off of our collective shoulders with that last TD and the final NU int that sealed the game. Now us old fans are wanting the program to return to a level where we can be relevant, win hardware and where NU is respected not because of its past but because of what it is doing today. Hopefully, this will be the break out year.

I had wrote TO off as the coach who wouldn't win a NC until that game against Florida State the year prior to the 94' season. The promise or hope had a lot less to do with TO than it did Frazier heading into the 94' season. He was that one player we had been missing all of those years prior that just wouldn't tolerate losing. He upped the game of not only the offense but the defense as well. We had a couple of oh $hit moments even in the 94' season. Wyoming being the biggest one where had they not muffed a punt reception we quite likely lose the game. After that though, we were money going into Manhattan with Turman and knocking off the kittycats. The only hurdle left it seemed was CU which pitted #1 against #2 in Lincoln. Berringer and company completely manhandled them. Even though Frazier didn't play much during the 94' season, the team still had that swagger he brought to Lincoln. He's really the one who started it all.

If Interweb Message Boards Existed in 1994

Well - they did! Anyone else on here been around long enough to have used a 2400bps modem to connect to a BBS? They looked something like this.......

bbs.jpg

nerds32.jpg
One didn't need message boards then. You could talk shop in your hacky sack circle.

I had wrote TO off as the coach who wouldn't win a NC until that game against Florida State the year prior to the 94' season. The promise or hope had a lot less to do with TO than it did Frazier heading into the 94' season. He was that one player we had been missing all of those years prior that just wouldn't tolerate losing. He upped the game of not only the offense but the defense as well. We had a couple of oh $hit moments even in the 94' season. Wyoming being the biggest one where had they not muffed a punt reception we quite likely lose the game. After that though, we were money going into Manhattan with Turman and knocking off the kittycats. The only hurdle left it seemed was CU which pitted #1 against #2 in Lincoln. Berringer and company completely manhandled them. Even though Frazier didn't play much during the 94' season, the team still had that swagger he brought to Lincoln. He's really the one who started it all.

While agree with Frazier's mentality, the teamwide mentality and swagger was something that was actually started a year before Frazier even got there. The house cleaning of all folks who "didnt care" began immediately following the 1990 season. At least according to countless folks involved that spoke of it in the book.

The two blowout losses to end the 1990 season was Osborne's "line in the sand" moment, that really generated the changes necessary on all fronts to get where everyone wanted to go. All stops were pulled out so to speak.

When we beat Miami, the story I am told is that my dad jumped onto a table at the local American Legion and was struck in the head by a fan blade :lol:

Lol at least your dad seen how we won. When Berringer threw the interception in the 4th. My dad got so pissed he stomped out of the living room to go play mario brothers. As Schlesinger scored I yelled and he came running back in. To this day he still has no idea how we won the game.

That Orange bowl was the most spectacular win every experienced. Just the flow of the game, the unknowns with the quarterback situation, watching intently...I was only in 8th grade at the time but remember the losses in bowl games and to Colorado and Washington and ISU in previous years. My dad was always jumping out of his chair during big plays. Such good memories...I could barely sleep that night just still in awe that we actually won the whole thing.

A couple of my friends greeted me the next school day with "they did it." I lived in Kansas and was always tormented when we lost. I was just all smiles that day...like every Monday after a win.