We have accomplished nothing - reality check time

knapplc

We start 6-0 and I'm serving Big Gulps of kool-aid like crazy. That would be accomplishing something - winning your non-con (however easy) and passing your toughest test of the regular season. That's when the excitement can get to "we're a strong favorite to win the Big Ten" levels.

Problem is, we've seen starts like this before, and we've seen eventual meltdowns. Even though this team appears different, there are very concerning things happening with this defense, first and foremost the mounting injuries. This team may be better than teams past, more mentally sound, and still lose four games due to circumstances beyond their control.

In part, I'm cautioning against making this start seem like more than it is because the crash-to-reality is going to be severe, and those predisposed toward negativity will harp more than ever at those predisposed to positivity. The board will melt down, and it'll be painful just to come here. We'll have our very own Inquisition, just like 2007. And there will be fallout. And it will suck.But beat Michigan State...........

and then lose to Northwestern and/or Rutgers, more injuries mount, Wisconsin stomps our injury riddle defense, and we wind up losing a bowl game. Then what?

Then hopefully we move in a new direction.

Win or lose, I really think that this is your agenda...

Agreed

We start 6-0 and I'm serving Big Gulps of kool-aid like crazy. That would be accomplishing something - winning your non-con (however easy) and passing your toughest test of the regular season. That's when the excitement can get to "we're a strong favorite to win the Big Ten" levels.

Problem is, we've seen starts like this before, and we've seen eventual meltdowns. Even though this team appears different, there are very concerning things happening with this defense, first and foremost the mounting injuries. This team may be better than teams past, more mentally sound, and still lose four games due to circumstances beyond their control.

In part, I'm cautioning against making this start seem like more than it is because the crash-to-reality is going to be severe, and those predisposed toward negativity will harp more than ever at those predisposed to positivity. The board will melt down, and it'll be painful just to come here. We'll have our very own Inquisition, just like 2007. And there will be fallout. And it will suck.But beat Michigan State...........

and then lose to Northwestern and/or Rutgers, more injuries mount, Wisconsin stomps our injury riddle defense, and we wind up losing a bowl game. Then what?

Well that's on you. Because I just flat out said I want Nebraska to win. We may differ on how they get there, but I've never not wanted them to win

"Jesus. Wut?"

Don't even start. You understand it and you know it. Probably even get the point of it but you want to argue just because. Go for it. And if you really don't understand it, well, sorry, maybe someone will explain.

Listen here bud. I disagree with Polo as much as anyone, but your ramble? Most have no frickin clue the jibberish you spewed there. Your comparing an arguably underachieving football team to an unarguably routine event of science.

• Fire 1

Well that's on you. Because I just flat out said I want Nebraska to win. We may differ on how they get there, but I've never not wanted them to win

The attitude and stance you take lead most people to assume otherwise. You can say you want NU to win all you want but your incessant blabbering about how NU can't or won't get it done with this certain coach in place, says otherwise. Like most people argue with you about anyway.

Do you not see the bolded part? Where does he accuse you of not wanting NU to win? He's questioning agenda, and he's spot on.

• Fire 1

My comment does not mention what you wish or hope for. It only mentions 2 outcomes.

"Jesus. Wut?"

Don't even start. You understand it and you know it. Probably even get the point of it but you want to argue just because. Go for it. And if you really don't understand it, well, sorry, maybe someone will explain.

Listen here bud. I disagree with Polo as much as anyone, but your ramble? Most have no frickin clue the jibberish you spewed there. Your comparing an arguably underachieving football team to an unarguably routine event of science.

I repeat myself, sorry if you don't understand a pretty accurate and simple comparison. And don't call me bud and talk down your nose at me. Guarantee I'm not your "bud"

The attitude and stance you take lead most people to assume otherwise. You can say you want NU to win all you want but your incessant blabbering about how NU can't or won't get it done with this certain coach in place, says otherwise. Like most people argue with you about anyway.

I see no problem with NUPolo8 saying he always wants Nebraska to win but doesn't believe it will be done with this coach. Regardless if someone has a differing opinion. It's not that controversial.

Just so you're all ready for it, I'll post one of two threads after the Sparty game. They'll both have about the same meaning, and about the same tone.

If we beat Sparty it'll be a celebration of the first half of the season, the first time we've been 6-0 under Pelini, and that we're likely (not definitively, but likely) taking a step forward as a program.

If we lose to Sparty, depending on the loss, it'll be a realistic assessment of the first half of the season, with praise and an analysis of work that needs to be done to make it to Indy. Because even if we lose to Sparty, we are likely going to Indy if we beat Wisconsin.

We've accomplished nothing yet. Beating Michigan State in East Lansing would be an accomplishment and help us figure out where we are. But losing that game, presuming we play well but come up short, won't of itself be a cause for alarm.

"Jesus. Wut?"

I repeat myself, sorry if you don't understand a pretty accurate and simple comparison. And don't call me bud and talk down your nose at me. Guarantee I'm not your "bud"

QWygCNG.gif

This thread is really unnecessary. Nobody is shouting from the rooftops that this team has arrived or has turned the corner. Nobody. We are 4-0 which is a great start, but much more needs to be accomplished. The loss of several key defensive players to injury/suspension and our knack for losing a game or two that we shouldn't remains a concern. Like others have said, this season does have a little bit different feel than seasons past. I don't think the 2013 defense could have started any worse as a unit. The 2014 unit appears to be solid and much further along despite the injuries. After the Martinez injury, our QB position was in dire straits and we were lucky to win as many games as we did with what we had to work with. So far, Abdullah has been a beast and TA has looked pretty good. We are all cautiously optimistic and I don't think the Illinois game is a sure thing. Even if we beat Michigan St., the Kool-Aid will not be flowing for me one bit. We could easily falter against Wisconsin, Rutgers, Minnesota or Iowa. We have so far accomplished everything that can possibly be accomplished at this point. We are 4-0...

• Fire 1

ESPN the night after Nebraska beats Sparty:

"...Even though Georgia has a couple losses, dont count them out. There as good a team as any! And in other news, Nebraska is quietly having a nice little season in the Big Ten. Currently at 6-0 they could win the conference. Obviously that strength of schedule could be their undoing but a nice little season none the less. Now we go back to David Pollack who is currently with a random Vanderbilt player for no good reason, David..."

• Fire 4