B1G vs. SEC

Creed

In the last 3 years, when an SEC team plays an OOC team that has 10+ wins for the year, they are 2-6.

Now do this for every conference please

So I went ahead and did this research. Mostly for curiosity. Here was my criteria:

2011-2013 schedules

Used only Power 5 conference plus Notre Dame and BYU

Utah, West Virginia, Rutgers, Louisville were not included unless there was a season where they played in a Power 5 conference.

I used overall record but did not include the Bowl game opponent.

ACC: 0-21

Big 12: 1-2

Big Ten: 0-9

PAC12: 1-10

SEC: 5-9. 3 of these wins are South Carolina over Clemson.

So, we have to go back three seasons to find 5 wins over a power five team. That's .6 per year. I know that's more than the other conferences but it's just plain pathetic to base what programs should have the best chance of being in this year's 4 team playoff.

It is such an absolutely small sampling of anything relevant to the discussion. AND, anything prior to August this year, shouldn't mean squat.

To put it in a different perspective, if Stumpy had said 9+ and I included those schools that weren't in a Power 5 during that time but are now, things would look a bit better for all conferences. Not a lot but some.

Probably pretty good for the SEC. Like I said above very few SEC teams schedule "up" against an elite P5 team. They have a habit of scheduling p5 teams that are a "safe bet" on paper - Bama vs WVU/VT/Mich; Auburn vs K-state; Missouri vs Indiana (oops!).

Well, having one of your best beat VT is better than losing to them, don't you think? Playing a bit tougher schedule doesn't mean much if you can't win.

You certainly hope for that and all your hear on ESPN is how bad that loss was for OSU. It was killer and B1G teams CANNOT lose these types of games which will eventually build the conference back up. It seems the B1G just CANNOT catch any breaks the last few years. OSU was breaking in a very inexperienced QB, played flat and VT played lights out impressive. It reminded me of my playing days when my team sucked big time and we played the best team in the region in front of a packed house at their place. Even though we sucked we were pumped to play in that environment and stayed with them until the end. I think the same thing happened that night. VT was pumped to be playing at the Shoe in prime time.

Another bad break was the Wisc loss to LSU. Wisc was up by 17(?) late and a couple bad injuries and bad coaching moves let LSU come back and win. These two games plus the Oregon loss and Michigan sucking doesn't get the B1G out of the national crapper. Meanwhile, the SEC catches a huge break when K-states kicker misses like 11 FGs under 30 yards and the numerous k-state turnovers in the redzone which let Auburn escape.

Excuses and making up stats about how KSU lost don't mean much either. Nothing new here. Go ahead and get the last word in, I can't battle a bias 10x worse than ESPN has for the SEC.

I have said this all along (see prior posts) all we are doing is bitching and moaning until we start beating SEC teams on the field. My other comment was would the SEC west teams keep swapping places in the Top 7 if Auburn doesn't get lucky vs Kstate and Wisc falls apart at the end vs LSU.

Probably pretty good for the SEC. Like I said above very few SEC teams schedule "up" against an elite P5 team. They have a habit of scheduling p5 teams that are a "safe bet" on paper - Bama vs WVU/VT/Mich; Auburn vs K-state; Missouri vs Indiana (oops!).

Well, having one of your best beat VT is better than losing to them, don't you think? Playing a bit tougher schedule doesn't mean much if you can't win.

You certainly hope for that and all your hear on ESPN is how bad that loss was for OSU. It was killer and B1G teams CANNOT lose these types of games which will eventually build the conference back up. It seems the B1G just CANNOT catch any breaks the last few years. OSU was breaking in a very inexperienced QB, played flat and VT played lights out impressive. It reminded me of my playing days when my team sucked big time and we played the best team in the region in front of a packed house at their place. Even though we sucked we were pumped to play in that environment and stayed with them until the end. I think the same thing happened that night. VT was pumped to be playing at the Shoe in prime time.

Another bad break was the Wisc loss to LSU. Wisc was up by 17(?) late and a couple bad injuries and bad coaching moves let LSU come back and win. These two games plus the Oregon loss and Michigan sucking doesn't get the B1G out of the national crapper. Meanwhile, the SEC catches a huge break when K-states kicker misses like 11 FGs under 30 yards and the numerous k-state turnovers in the redzone which let Auburn escape.

Excuses and making up stats about how KSU lost don't mean much either. Nothing new here. Go ahead and get the last word in, I can't battle a bias 10x worse than ESPN has for the SEC.

I have said this all along (see prior posts) all we are doing is bitching and moaning until we start beating SEC teams on the field. My other comment was would the SEC west teams keep swapping places in the Top 7 if Auburn doesn't get lucky vs Kstate and Wisc falls apart at the end vs LSU.

So lets say in the B1G Nebraska, MSU, OSU, and Wisconsin play Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Arkansas, and Tennessee and went 4-0. Do you think the spin would be that we went 4-0 against the mighty SEC or that we beat 4 teams from the SEC that weren't good?

No flip that over. SEC has Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss and Mississippi St play Indiana, Illinois, Rutgers, Northwestern. Do you think the spin will be how the SEC dominated the B1G or will it get recognized that they beat the 4 worst teams in the league?

Furthermore, who do you think will benefit most from the rankings based on the spin you choose?

• Fire 2

So lets say in the B1G Nebraska, MSU, OSU, and Wisconsin play Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Arkansas, and Tennessee and went 4-0. Do you think the spin would be that we went 4-0 against the mighty SEC or that we beat 4 teams from the SEC that weren't good?

No flip that over. SEC has Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss and Mississippi St play Indiana, Illinois, Rutgers, Northwestern. Do you think the spin will be how the SEC dominated the B1G or will it get recognized that they beat the 4 worst teams in the league?

Furthermore, who do you think will benefit most from the rankings based on the spin you choose?

If that's directed at me, I'm not going to bother. People are already getting so bent out of shape about things that may or probably won't happen like 3 SEC teams in the final 4 that it's just not worth talking about hypotheticals. I'm sure the SEC would come out smelling a bit better than the B1G if that's what you are going for. It's also my opinion that those 4 SEC teams have a lot better chance of going 4-0 than the B1G teams would. And yes, I remember Indiana over Missouri.

No, it doesn't become clearer every week. It hasn't become much clearer since conference play started and everyone is just playing in their conference.

Now, what is becoming clearer is who is winning or has a chance to win their conference.

That has very little or anything to do with what conference is better than the other.

who cares which conference is the best? which teams are the best is what matters. right now, the SEC has a few of the best. we know this because the teams that won ooc are continuing to win or lose to what appears to be good teams.

So, you're going back to deciding everything in the first month of the season on just a few games.

Great.

I personally don't give a rip who is the best conference. YOU are the one who seems to care by declaring the SEC the best conference so their teams obviously are the greatest teams.

I would prefer a system where the teams spend the regular season determining who is the champion in their conference then at the end of the year, those champions compete to see who is the national champion.

Do you think baseball fans would be happy if all of a sudden Bud Selig would all of a sudden just say..."Hey...we know the National League is so much better than the American league that we are going to put twice as many teams in the playoffs from the national league?

Everyone (even college football fans) would claim he has totally lost his marbles.

Win your friggen conference. After that, then compete for the NC.

i do not care that the SEC is the best conference, but it is. i am not sure their teams are the greatest, but they have more great teams than anyone. that is all i am saying.

what you are advocating for, in only caring about conference championships, is an ooc so worthless it might as well not even be played. but the inherent fallacy is that there is a true champion. baseball is a terrible example because they play many games and have multi-game tournaments. there is no true champion, so you have to decide what you value most. i prefer considering who is playing well at the end of the year as well as the resume at large. just winning the conference might be impressive, might not.

but, it is not a great system. i agree. i would just rather have a one loss great team who did not win the conf. champ. in the playoff rather than a terrible 2 loss conf. champ. in the playoff. if it was an 8 team playoff with some at-large bids, i would think differently.

you can disagree, because reasonable minds do that sometimes.

Interesting question on the radio.

Is the Big Ten West better than the SEC East?

i would say yes.

I don't think the Committee will do that - at least not this year. They said conference champions would get extra consideration.

Definitely wound't be in over Oregon and probably not Arizona State.

Definitely not over KState or TCU. Possibly over Baylor but I doubt it as they would have two decent wins to close out the year.

Definitely not over Michigan State. Probably not over Ohio State depending on their CCG opponent. Could be over Nebraska but the CCG win would be a big boost.

The only one I could really see is the ACC champ. Any loss by FSU now would be a "bad" loss and they only have one "good" win (depending on how ND finishes). But if Duke wins out I could see them getting passed over.

What about a two loss team with no conference championship instead of a one loss conference champion?

Because that is what I hear discussed quite a bit because the SEC is so dominant that even a two loss team is better than a one loss conference champion from the other conferences.

Auburn over Kansas State. Yes.

Oregon over Michigan State. Yes.

Otherwise it shouldn't be done.

What about a two loss team with no conference championship instead of a one loss conference champion?

Because that is what I hear discussed quite a bit because the SEC is so dominant that even a two loss team is better than a one loss conference champion from the other conferences.

where is that being discussed? i think the SEC has a better chance of getting no one into the playoffs than two teams. but, i would bet they get just one in.

look at where two loss ole miss sits. a two loss team is not getting in over a one loss conference champ. if that happens, i will eat my hat.

where is that being discussed? i think the SEC has a better chance of getting no one into the playoffs than two teams. but, i would bet they get just one in.

look at where two loss ole miss sits. a two loss team is not getting in over a one loss conference champ. if that happens, i will eat my hat.

A two-loss SEC champion would definitely be in over some one-loss conference champion.

Assuming best-case for every other conference, you'd have Florida State undefeated and Oregon with one loss who would be two teams. That would leave a two-loss SEC champion to battle for the last two spots against KSU/Baylor/TCU, MSU/OSU/NU and Notre Dame. They would pick a two-loss SEC champion over probably any of those teams. Really only Michigan State and Kansas State would even draw much discussion.

Edit: Now that I read your post again, I see you were talking about a second SEC team with two losses. I originally thought you meant a two loss SEC champion. I agree with you in that case.

A two-loss SEC champion would definitely be in over some one-loss conference champion.

Assuming best-case for every other conference, you'd have Florida State undefeated and Oregon with one loss who would be two teams. That would leave a two-loss SEC champion to battle for the last two spots against KSU/Baylor/TCU, MSU/OSU/NU and Notre Dame. They would pick a two-loss SEC champion over probably any of those teams. Really only Michigan State and Kansas State would even draw much discussion.

Edit: Now that I read your post again, I see you were talking about a second SEC team with two losses. I originally thought you meant a two loss SEC champion. I agree with you in that case.

i agree with you as well. it will be interesting. a lot of people with good arguments will be upset. i would be very happy to see the sec knock itself out. but i doubt that will happen. there is enough separation in that conference that at least one of the top teams will take care of business. my guess is auburn, but that is just my gut talking. and my gut is also hungry.