B1G vs. SEC

Creed

Not that it would never happen. But the remaining one-loss teams are positioned well enough and will have another good win or two down the stretch to move ahead of a team that loses a second game.

Really the only way one would even get a look this year is if Florida State loses a game (especially to Florida) and Notre Dame loses to Arizona State. Florida State's resume would look pretty bleak with a bad loss toward the end of the year, their best win (Notre Dame) not really beating anyone all year and their second-best win (Clemson) not really beating anyone and getting blown out by an SEC team. But I still doubt the defending national champions and current ACC champions would get left out.

On any given Saturday college football commentary show, I heard from time to time the discussion about possibly a two loss team getting in. This would possibly be the second place team out of the SEC west.

Maybe they were assuming there would be some 2 loss champions in enough other conferences. I could possibly see a 2nd 2 loss SEC team over a 2 loss conf champ.

So if the playoffs were determined today wouldn't the match ups be:

Oregon vs Miss St - Sugar Bowl

Auburn vs FSU - Rose Bowl

Would Auburn, FSU fans really travel again to LA to see this rematch or likely save their money for a much closer NCG? Don't think there's too many casual fans out in LA that would want to pay to see these hood teams from the souf. I think we will have some very interesting dilemmas with match ups and locations that will result in half or 3/4ths full stadiums. I would assume if the playoffs go to 8 teams, they would need to have the first one on campuses.

Would Auburn, FSU fans really travel again to LA to see this rematch or likely save their money for a much closer NCG? Don't think there's too many casual fans out in LA that would want to pay to see these hood teams from the souf. I think we will have some very interesting dilemmas with match ups and locations that will result in half or 3/4ths full stadiums. I would assume if the playoffs go to 8 teams, they would need to have the first one on campuses.

I agree there might be half empty stadiums. On home campuses or at least regional sites like the hoops tourney has would keep more motivation for teams to be ranked as high as possible to get a home advantage, keeping the season from being meaningless.

But how bad will a 1/2 or 3/4 full Rose Bowl hurt? What is the revenue from the gate compared to the TV money?

I would guess that most teams would be against this for one main fact. What if Alabama would have to travel to Ohio State and play a game in December? Most teams from the south don't want to play in cold weather and they don't know how to handle it as well as teams that live in colder regions. I would guess that most teams from down in warmer climates would fight the at home games as much as they could.

I would guess that most teams would be against this for one main fact. What if Alabama would have to travel to Ohio State and play a game in December? Most teams from the south don't want to play in cold weather and they don't know how to handle it as well as teams that live in colder regions. I would guess that most teams from down in warmer climates would fight the at home games as much as they could.

Of course considering their style of play is designed around speed and playing in decent to ideal conditions during the regular season and 99% of bowl games. Southern teams just don't prepare in cold temps with high winds with cold rain/snow and it would be much harder for them to adjust vs cold weather teams adjusting to warmer ideal conditions; if that makes sense. You see it often in the NFL.

Of course considering their style of play is designed around speed and playing in decent to ideal conditions during the regular season and 99% of bowl games. Southern teams just don't prepare in cold temps with high winds with cold rain/snow and it would be much harder for them to adjust vs cold weather teams adjusting to warmer ideal conditions; if that makes sense. You see it often in the NFL.

Yep and that is why you rarely see a SEC play away from home for OOC, especially someplace up North.

Interesting question on the radio.

Is the Big Ten West better than the SEC East?

Interesting. Let's look at the head to heads.

* - Nebraska 4-1 8-1 * - Minnesota 3-1 6-2 * - Iowa 3-1 6-2 * - Wisconsin 3-1 6-2 Northwestern 2-3 3-5 Illinois 1-4 4-5 Purdue 1-4 3-6

* - Missouri 4-1 7-2 * - Georgia 4-2 6-2 Florida 3-3 4-3 Kentucky 2-4 5-4 South Carolina 2-5 4-5 Tennessee 1-4 4-5 Vanderbilt 0-5 3-6

Nebraska beats Missouri

Minnesota loses to Georgia (maybe)

Iowa and Florida is close, edge to Florida

Wisconsin crushes Kentucky

Northwestern and South Carolina is probably pretty close, Not sure here but edge S. Car for arguments sake

Illinois crushes Tennessee

Purdue crushes Vanderbilt

I count 4-3 B1G here, but it could swing either way. I would say yes, B1G West is better then SEC East. B1G East is certainly much better than SEC East.

• Fire 1

* - Nebraska 4-1 8-1 * - Minnesota 3-1 6-2 * - Iowa 3-1 6-2 * - Wisconsin 3-1 6-2 Northwestern 2-3 3-5 Illinois 1-4 4-5 Purdue 1-4 3-6

* - Missouri 4-1 7-2 * - Georgia 4-2 6-2 Florida 3-3 4-3 Kentucky 2-4 5-4 South Carolina 2-5 4-5 Tennessee 1-4 4-5 Vanderbilt 0-5 3-6

Nebraska beats Missouri

Northwestern and South Carolina is probably pretty close, Not sure here but edge S. Car for arguments sake

I count 4-3 B1G here, but it could swing either way. I would say yes, B1G West is better then SEC East. B1G East is certainly much better than SEC East.

Agree for the most part but Illinois is terrible and Tenn is improving so I give the edge to UT there. Iowa and NW; depends which team shows up.

Do you ever think CFB will get to the point of quasi-NFL playoff determinations using current conferences and do away with the poll bs? Key would be a centralized scheduling body like the NFL to eliminate A LOT of the issues we have.

i used think someday there will only be four super conferences and then, yes. it would look more like the nfl.

but now, who knows?

Nebraska beats Missouri

Why would you give the edge to Florida over Iowa? Iowa has the better record. Admittedly, they didn't look that good this weekend against Minny. But, how good is Minny?