B1G vs. SEC

Creed

The SEC plays against the least number of teams from other Power 5 conferences plus ND and BYU. Here are the numbers for every conference.

SEC: 11

B1G: 13 + ND (3x) = 16

Big 12: 10 + BYU = 11

PAC: 8 + ND (3x) + BYU = 12

ACC: 13 + ND (4x) = 17

The SEC has 14 teams just like the ACC, B1G and PAC, the Big12 has 10.

And what are the records of those games?

Probably pretty good for the SEC. Like I said above very few SEC teams schedule "up" against an elite P5 team. They have a habit of scheduling p5 teams that are a "safe bet" on paper - Bama vs WVU/VT/Mich; Auburn vs K-state; Missouri vs Indiana (oops!).

The SEC plays against the least number of teams from other Power 5 conferences plus ND and BYU. Here are the numbers for every conference.

Probably pretty good for the SEC. Like I said above very few SEC teams schedule "up" against an elite P5 team. They have a habit of scheduling p5 teams that are a "safe bet" on paper - Bama vs WVU/VT/Mich; Auburn vs K-state; Missouri vs Indiana (oops!).

Well, having one of your best beat VT is better than losing to them, don't you think? Playing a bit tougher schedule doesn't mean much if you can't win.

You are right. What has anyone proved?

So....if we take this train of thought, the entire basis for what conference gets the possibility of multiple teams in the playoffs boils down to three games played in the first month of the season. We have something like 125 teams playing 12 games. That's 1,500 games and it all boils down to three games played in the first month.

Wow....that's a great system.

you pick three games because that fits the idea that this SEC bias is based on next to nothing. but a lot of games have been played. a lot of good teams lost to not so good teams and no one really talks about that (osu losing to va. tech, usc losing to bc). there is a whole body of work at play and it becomes clearer every week. but some would rather act like some how the aTm/scar game framed the whole playoff race or it comes down to just 3 games. it does not. i expect tschu to demonstrate this, because i believe he gets this better than anyone else.

No, it doesn't become clearer every week. It hasn't become much clearer since conference play started and everyone is just playing in their conference.

Now, what is becoming clearer is who is winning or has a chance to win their conference.

That has very little or anything to do with what conference is better than the other.

Well, having one of your best beat VT is better than losing to them, don't you think? Playing a bit tougher schedule doesn't mean much if you can't win.

You certainly hope for that and all your hear on ESPN is how bad that loss was for OSU. It was killer and B1G teams CANNOT lose these types of games which will eventually build the conference back up. It seems the B1G just CANNOT catch any breaks the last few years. OSU was breaking in a very inexperienced QB, played flat and VT played lights out impressive. It reminded me of my playing days when my team sucked big time and we played the best team in the region in front of a packed house at their place. Even though we sucked we were pumped to play in that environment and stayed with them until the end. I think the same thing happened that night. VT was pumped to be playing at the Shoe in prime time.

Another bad break was the Wisc loss to LSU. Wisc was up by 17(?) late and a couple bad injuries and bad coaching moves let LSU come back and win. These two games plus the Oregon loss and Michigan sucking doesn't get the B1G out of the national crapper. Meanwhile, the SEC catches a huge break when K-states kicker misses like 11 FGs under 30 yards and the numerous k-state turnovers in the redzone which let Auburn escape.

You certainly hope for that and all your hear on ESPN is how bad that loss was for OSU. It was killer and B1G teams CANNOT lose these types of games which will eventually build the conference back up. It seems the B1G just CANNOT catch any breaks the last few years. OSU was breaking in a very inexperienced QB, played flat and VT played lights out impressive. It reminded me of my playing days when my team sucked big time and we played the best team in the region in front of a packed house at their place. Even though we sucked we were pumped to play in that environment and stayed with them until the end. I think the same thing happened that night. VT was pumped to be playing at the Shoe in prime time.

Another bad break was the Wisc loss to LSU. Wisc was up by 17(?) late and a couple bad injuries and bad coaching moves let LSU come back and win. These two games plus the Oregon loss and Michigan sucking doesn't get the B1G out of the national crapper. Meanwhile, the SEC catches a huge break when K-states kicker misses like 11 FGs under 30 yards and the numerous k-state turnovers in the redzone which let Auburn escape.

Excuses and making up stats about how KSU lost don't mean much either. Nothing new here. Go ahead and get the last word in, I can't battle a bias 10x worse than ESPN has for the SEC.

In the last 3 years, when an SEC team plays an OOC team that has 10+ wins for the year, they are 2-6.

• Fire 1

Not that it matters. It's still just a cherry picked thing that is meaningless without knowing what the teams are and how good each team was and so on and so on and so on. For no matter what conference you do it for. But yea, any conference top to bottom is going to have a losing record against only 10-win teams. Because, duh.

247 just posted something from their Facebook page that said College Game Day discussed the SEC more than the Big 12 and PAC12 combined last weekend.

Whatever that adds to the debate?

I don't mind complaints about this. Covering the SEC as much as they do is kinda bullsh#t, no matter how good they are.

You'd think they'd stand to gain a quite a bit by covering the Big Ten a lot too given the enormous size of the B1G fanbases and the fact that ESPN/ABC holds the primetime/big game rights for the Big Ten broadcasts. But I don't watch ESPN anyways so I guess it's not a personal gripe for me.

No, it doesn't become clearer every week. It hasn't become much clearer since conference play started and everyone is just playing in their conference.

Now, what is becoming clearer is who is winning or has a chance to win their conference.

That has very little or anything to do with what conference is better than the other.

who cares which conference is the best? which teams are the best is what matters. right now, the SEC has a few of the best. we know this because the teams that won ooc are continuing to win or lose to what appears to be good teams.

Alabama plays in what is supposed to be the toughest division in the toughest conference. They have played eight games - five of them in conference - and are considered the fifth-best team in the country by the only people that matter.

Yet their best win so far is over three-loss team that currently sits fourth in the Big XII.

• Fire 3

who cares which conference is the best? which teams are the best is what matters. right now, the SEC has a few of the best. we know this because the teams that won ooc are continuing to win or lose to what appears to be good teams.

So, you're going back to deciding everything in the first month of the season on just a few games.

Great.

I personally don't give a rip who is the best conference. YOU are the one who seems to care by declaring the SEC the best conference so their teams obviously are the greatest teams.

I would prefer a system where the teams spend the regular season determining who is the champion in their conference then at the end of the year, those champions compete to see who is the national champion.

Do you think baseball fans would be happy if all of a sudden Bud Selig would all of a sudden just say..."Hey...we know the National League is so much better than the American league that we are going to put twice as many teams in the playoffs from the national league?

Everyone (even college football fans) would claim he has totally lost his marbles.

Win your friggen conference. After that, then compete for the NC.

In the last 3 years, when an SEC team plays an OOC team that has 10+ wins for the year, they are 2-6.

Now do this for every conference please

So I went ahead and did this research. Mostly for curiosity. Here was my criteria:

2011-2013 schedules

Used only Power 5 conference plus Notre Dame and BYU

Utah, West Virginia, Rutgers, Louisville were not included unless there was a season where they played in a Power 5 conference.

I used overall record but did not include the Bowl game opponent.

ACC: 0-21

Big 12: 1-2

Big Ten: 0-9

PAC12: 1-10

SEC: 5-9. 3 of these wins are South Carolina over Clemson.

• Fire 1

Now do this for every conference please

So I went ahead and did this research. Mostly for curiosity. Here was my criteria:

2011-2013 schedules

Used only Power 5 conference plus Notre Dame and BYU

Utah, West Virginia, Rutgers, Louisville were not included unless there was a season where they played in a Power 5 conference.

I used overall record but did not include the Bowl game opponent.

ACC: 0-21

Big 12: 1-2

Big Ten: 0-9

PAC12: 1-10

SEC: 5-9. 3 of these wins are South Carolina over Clemson.

So, we have to go back three seasons to find 5 wins over a power five team. That's .6 per year. I know that's more than the other conferences but it's just plain pathetic to base what programs should have the best chance of being in this year's 4 team playoff.

It is such an absolutely small sampling of anything relevant to the discussion. AND, anything prior to August this year, shouldn't mean squat.