Shatel: Is this what it's come to - celebrating a win over Northwestern?

knapplc

Nebraska players jogged off the field and their fans were waiting for them. Alex Lewis walked by. Husker fans cheered. Bo Pelini waved to the crowd. They roared. Ameer Abdullah ran to them. He high-fived them. They went nuts.

You could ask, is this what it’s come to — celebrating a win over Northwestern? But that would be missing the obvious point.

A win is a win is a win for this Nebraska team, now 6-1.

LINK

Clearly Tom thinks we should be above celebrating victories over teams like Northwestern. Do you agree?

• Fire 3

Hell, why not celebrate? I know that we all wish that we could go on the road and take care of business in a machine like fashion - but it has been how long since we had full faith in doing so? At the end of the day, these are college kids enjoying the moment. This isn't any different than Abdullah running over to the student section at the end of a home game and thanking them for support. Honestly, I'd rather see the kids celebrating and interacting with fans compared to them walking off the field like it's no big deal. I'm sure the players were thankful for the supporters that turned out and just wanted to make sure they acknowledged the crowd.

• Fire 1

Tom can get over himself.

It wasn't a tour de force from a Top 5 caliber team, but Nebraska took care of business in a performance to build on. Northwestern is probably low on talent, deprived of their best playmaker, but they are a well-coached team with a capable, veteran QB. They tried their best to give Nebraska all it could handle again, and lost in the end by 21. At home, on homecoming.

• Fire 4

The line is almost too stupid to be believed. What, is implying that fans should not celebrate wins? Should we stare blank-faced at the field when they turn a first-half circus into a crushing win in the second? I like when my team wins. It makes me feel all good inside. Even better when the team in question has either beaten or nearly beaten the Skers three years running.

Shatel, wake up, man.

This ^^^^

It's better to enjoy football season than try to downplay every bit of success this team has. It's not like a Gatorade bucket got dumped on Bo and they acted like it as a conference or national championship while there was a riot in haymarket and flaming dumpsters pushed down O street. (well the last part might happen every Sat. night) They simply enjoyed beating NW by three touchdowns on their homecoming and today they're over it and beginning to get prepared for Rutgers.

Agains a team we've clearly had the most "issues" with since joining this forsaken conference, winning a game in which we dominated the 2nd half of, well, I dont see a problem with being pleased. And I dont think anyone's ecstatic over the win. Shatel is spinning this ridiculously.

1) No is championship ecstatic

2) There's nothing wrong with feeling good about a nice win over a team that has givin you fits for 3 years.

Edit.

After reading it again with proper context, I'm a little off on this initial assessment.

Nebraska players jogged off the field and their fans were waiting for them. Alex Lewis walked by. Husker fans cheered. Bo Pelini waved to the crowd. They roared. Ameer Abdullah ran to them. He high-fived them. They went nuts.

You could ask, is this what it’s come to — celebrating a win over Northwestern? But that would be missing the obvious point.

A win is a win is a win for this Nebraska team, now 6-1.

LINK

Clearly Tom thinks we should be above celebrating victories over teams like Northwestern. Do you agree?

I think you are twisting his words. It was stupid of him to even raise that point, but he didn't make it as his own view.

Maybe I'm not reading enough into the article, but I don't get the impression that Tom was making that point directly, but rather pointing out to the more jaded fans that Northwestern isn't exactly the cupcake opponent that some people would like to think they are.

Shatel also alluded to the defensive timeouts, in particular the one that nullified the big sack. But Benning explained last night how discombobulated the secondary was, and had the play not been a sack, Benning was pretty sure the slot woulda ran free down the seam for a score. said Bo just has a knack of seeing things presnap, and has prevented more scores with these timeouts than we'll ever understand.