Kenny Bell just can't stop being Kenny Bell

NUpolo8

I just don't see why we're up in arms about a bit of arrogance and bravado, all things considered.

For me it's because he started out not being this way. It's been in the past year or two. And the "woe is me" schtick with the $ thing pissed me off a lot and has stuck with me. There are good arguments out there for compensating players but whining about his electricity getting shut off after buying a full back tattoo and 30 different colors of beats headphones... holy crap, grow up.

Oh the flip side, making idiotic internet speculation as to the state of a college athlete's finances is equally immature and short-sighted. This is one area where I agree with Kenny, but I do think he has gone about arguing it in a suboptimal manner.

It isn't speculation. It's stuff he posts willingly on his twitter account. Maybe he got the headphones and the tattoos as gifts from family members, but if so maybe he should have asked them to pay his bills instead. Although, obviously I was exaggerating about the headphones. I've only seen him wearing 2 or 3 different colors of $200 headphones.

It isn't speculation. It's stuff he posts willingly on his twitter account. Maybe he got the headphones and the tattoos as gifts from family members, but if so maybe he should have asked them to pay his bills instead.

"It isn't speculation" *follows with more speculation*

Again JJ what did I just say. We know nothing about his financial situation.

I once bought a TV, then a couple of weeks later was faced with an emergency $1400 car bill, which made rent pretty tough to meet that month. But continue speculating.

Don't make me go to bat for Kenny, please?

He's told us plenty about it. He made a crappy argument and blamed his failing to pay the utility bill on the low amount of scholarship/living $ he gets. He didn't blame it on some fictitious emergency payment he had to make.

It isn't speculation. It's stuff he posts willingly on his twitter account. Maybe he got the headphones and the tattoos as gifts from family members, but if so maybe he should have asked them to pay his bills instead.

"It isn't speculation" *follows with more speculation*

Fact: He has the headphones and the back tattoo and likes to post photos of super fancy dinners. The best look for those things, with his crappy argument, is that they were gifts.

Again JJ what did I just say. We know nothing about his financial situation.

I once bought a TV, then a couple of weeks later was faced with an emergency $1400 car bill, which made rent pretty tough to meet that month. But continue speculating.

Don't make me go to bat for Kenny, please?

I won't and couldn't "make" you go to bat for Kenny. If you do, that's on you.

It's not his financial situation I'm concerned about. It's the things he voluntarily shares and the things that are obvious to the casual observer. That electric bill is a given, the tats and headphones are a choice. Maybe it is just poor money management but to then bemoan your situation on a soapbox to bolster your position on players being paid and unionizing......sorry, I don't give that much leeway regardless his actual financial situation. If he is going to loudly state his feelings on it, surely those of us who think it's ridiculous can comment on it.

• Fire 2

I'm torn.

I hate Twitter.

I like characters.

Kenny Bell doesn't get to be the leading receiver in Nebraska history by accident.

Wouldn't hurt him to keep his mouth shut.

Or maybe it would. I don't really know him.

But he seems to be having fun.

And life is short.

And he's averaging 19 yards a reception.

We have 7 more games (hopefully) with Kenny Bell.

I'm inclined to let it go.

• Fire 3

Kenny has a big mouth and average hands.

The reason he is popular is because of hype.. his adorable blue practice jersey.. his afro.. his big tattoo.. the fact he works at a bar.

He will go down in the record books but I would still take Nate Swift 10 out of 10 times over Kenny.

Kenny has been good this year, we are weak at WR.. but I am ready to move on.

• Fire 2

Tschu, you're fighting an uphill battle here, man.

Your example of an unexpected car repair is a poor one. I'm assuming you had no idea that was coming when you bought the TV.[

Kenny knew damn well he had to pay for electricity. He chose to blow off the payment and accordingly had his electricity shut off. All the while apparently posting superfluous purchases of unnecessary luxuries online for anyone to see.

Thinking about it, that seems like a sob story Kenny drummed up to gather support for his quest to get college players paid. If not, he's awfully immature to squander his finances on luxuries while failing to take care of basic necessities first. But hey, to each their own.

• Fire 3

Fact: He has the headphones and the back tattoo and likes to post photos of super fancy dinners. The best look for those things, with his crappy argument, is that they were gifts.

*followed by more speculation*

Look, I already told you his argument was crappy, which goes back to him not thinking before speaking. But I'd like to go back to your college expenses, I'm sure that when you were broke in college you never spent money on anything but ramen, books, gas, and rent, right? Never ate out, never went to a party, never bought a stereo or whatever...right? Pointing fingers at a single tattoo and a pair of headphones is basically confirmation bias, looking for any bit of evidence that will confirm your view that Kenny has a bunch of money and made up an argument when things are fine. And since we don't know anything about his finances except speculation based on photos, that's why trying to be internet detective is inherently pointless.

And even if he did just totally fabricate a crappy argument, he's still on the correct side of the debate. And now I'm done sticking up for Kenny Bell.

• Fire 1

*followed by more speculation*

Look, I already told you his argument was crappy, which goes back to him not thinking before speaking. But I'd like to go back to your college expenses, I'm sure that when you were broke in college you never spent money on anything but ramen, books, gas, and rent, right? Never ate out, never went to a party, never bought a stereo or whatever...right? Pointing fingers at a single tattoo and a pair of headphones is basically confirmation bias, looking for any bit of evidence that will confirm your view that Kenny has a bunch of money and made up an argument when things are fine. And since we don't know anything about his finances except speculation based on photos, that's why trying to be internet detective is inherently pointless.

And even if he did just totally fabricate a crappy argument, he's still on the correct side of the debate. And now I'm done sticking up for Kenny Bell.

we know he can afford twitter. we can all agree on that.

It's not that this one thing, or any of Kenny's "things", are a big deal. But, put them all together and it shouldn't be surprising that people are tiring of his shat. He can do what he wants, I just wish he did it with more class, appreciation, and humility. Just tired of his headlines being for the wrong reasons.