Chatelain: It's a running battle with playcaller Tim Beck

There are a lot of plays I'd like to see, because in my mind they are always executed perfectly and catch the defense with their pants down. I'm pretty brilliant that way.

But I'm not running the offense. Tim Beck is. And as a Nebraska fan I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

I often hesitate to come on HuskerBoard after solid wins, because it seems like I've watched a completely different game than half of my Husker brethren. Right now, this Nebraska offense is running as well as it has in decades. Even better than many of the Osborne teams we mythologize without checking the actual stats. It's actually mind-boggling that some people think the OC operating one of the Top 5 rushing offenses in the country, whose playcalling has enabled Ameer Abdullah to be perhaps the most prolific rusher in Nebraska history, for some reason refuses to give the ball to Abdullah enough.

That we also average 200 yards a game passing while running the ball so well.....is one of the main reasons we're running the ball so well.

Keep in mind that Tim Beck doesn't call for three incomplete passes in a row. He calls a pass play. If it's successful, the next play might be a running play. Or if the defense lines up expecting that, maybe not. He's right a lot of the time, but if he calls one series with three incomplete passes, people on here go apesh#t.

There are several examples, including two important series in the Miami game, where Beck called for three consecutive rushes to Abdullah and he failed to get the crucial first down both times. Where was the outcry? Why is that any different?

When you also have offensive weapons like Jordan Westerkamp and Kenny Bell, and they're averaging 17 yards a catch, that also becomes part of "staying with what works."

I'm also waiting for this offense to light up a ranked team in a big game, but until then I'm enjoying games like Rutgers and Illinois and Northwestern in the same way I've enjoyed 42-24 Nebraska victories for the past 50 years.

No idea why you'd crap on Tim Beck at a point like this.

Great post, you spelled out my frustrations better than I could. I just don't get the angst about Beck with the year this O is having.

Never thought I see the day Husker fans complained about averaging 300 yards rushing, 200 yards passing and 41 points a game.

wqsJ3Ii.gif

I know right!?! Do people even realize how well this offense is doing this year?

Beck's offense is breaking Osborne era rushing records and Callahan era passing records. Of course we should fire him.

• Fire 2

Never thought I see the day Husker fans complained about averaging 300 yards rushing, 200 yards passing and 41 points a game.

wqsJ3Ii.gif

I know right!?! Do people even realize how well this offense is doing this year?

Beck's offense is breaking Osborne era rushing records and Callahan era passing records. Of course we should fire him.

Which ones?

All we're saying is that the following situation is mind-numbing:

Our All-American Heisman candidate RB just ripped off TD runs of 48 and 53 yards in back-to-back drives.

Hmm... Let's throw it 3 times and punt.

This over-thinking has been pretty typical of Beck over his career. Stick with what's working until they prove they can stop it. We were gashing them. Why pass until you have to?

Our All-American Heisman candidate RB just ripped off TD runs of 48 and 53 yards in back-to-back drives.

This over-thinking has been pretty typical of Beck over his career. Stick with what's working until they prove they can stop it. We were gashing them. Why pass until you have to?

It's not really that crazy of a concept. When your offense lines up with Bell, Westerkamp, and DPE why not try to get them the ball? Also, as I stated earlier in the thread, at the start of the third quarter Ameer broke off another 48 yard run then Beck called three straight passes that ended in a touchdown. The next touchdown drive ended with three straight passes as well when I'm sure the running game was working just fine.

• Fire 1

The postgame presser I saw, Bo had praise for the offense outside of penalties, and lit into the defense. All of it was an effort to keep the team focused on improving after a big win.

This article is Mind-blowingly Numb Armchair Offensive Coordinator Fallacies 101. The only redeeming part was this:

You know what, Beck is right about some of that. Big plays don’t appear out of nowhere. There’s a chess game that many fans don’t see. Balance and unpredictability are important. And Tim Beck knows more about offensive scheme than 99 percent of us ever will.

And it's amazing, but not in the least bit surprising, that Dirk manages to wave the singular bit of rationality in his article and go on to say "He's wrong, too" in the very next sentence.

Very, very poor from Dirk.

• Fire 1

Which ones?

Pretty much all of them.
bullsh#t

Oh?

Taylor Martinez:

• Nebraska Career Total Offense Record Holder (10,233 yards)
  • Nebraska Career Passing Yards Record Holder (7,258 yards)
  • Nebraska Career Completions Record Holder (575)
  • Nebraska Career Touchdown Passes Record Holder (56)
  • Nebraska Career Starts by a Quarterback Record Holder (43)
  • Nebraska Season Total Offense Record Holder (3,890 yards, 2012)
  • Nebraska Season Total Touchdowns Record Holder (33, 2012)
  • Nebraska Game Completion Percentage Record Holder (91.9 vs. Arkansas State, 2012)
  • School Record Holder Total Offense By a Sophomore (2,963 yards, 2011)

Rex Burkhead:

• School Record Holder for Single-Game Carries (38 vs. Iowa, 2011)
  • Tied School Record For Most Consecutive Games with a Touchdown (10, 2011)

Kenny Bell:

• Nebraska Sophomore Receptions Record Holder (50 in 2012)
  • Nebraska Sophomore Receiving Yards Record Holder (863 in 2012)
  • Nebraska Sophomore Receiving Touchdowns Record Holder (8 in 2012)
  • Nebraska Sophomore 100-Yard Receiving Games Record Holder (3 in 2012)
  • School Record Holder for career receptions
  • Needs 7 yards to pass Johnny Rodgers for the school record in career receiving yards

Ameer Abdullah:

• Nebraska Record Holder in Career All-Purpose Yards
  • Nebraska Record Holder in Career Carries
  • Nebraska Record Holder in Career 300-Yard All-Purpose Games
  • Only Player in Nebraska History with Three 1,000-Yard Rushing Seasons
  • Nebraska Record Holder in Season 200-Yard Rushing Games (4 in 2014)
  • Nebraska Record Holder in Season 300-Yard All-Purpose Games (2 in 2014)
  • Nebraska Record Holder for Single-Game All-Purpose Yards (341 vs. Rutgers, 2014)
  • Nebraska Record Holder for Single-Game Kickoff Returns Yards (211 vs. Fresno State, 2011)
  • Nebraska Record Holder for Single-Game All-Purpose Yards (341 vs. Rutgers, 2013)
  • Needs 555 yards to pass Mike Rozier for school record in career rushing yards

You done?

• Fire 3

If we can't expect our QB to complete passes to basically-stationary receivers who are open five yards downfield, we have issues significantly more serious than complaining about the play-calling on one series in a game we won by three scores, had 450+ yards of offense and ran the ball 65% of the time.

Just a side note: For the game, we averaged 7.1 yards per rush attempt. We averaged 7.4 yards per pass attempt.

Which ones?

Pretty much all of them.
bullsh#t

Oh?

Taylor Martinez:

• Nebraska Career Total Offense Record Holder (10,233 yards)
  • Nebraska Career Passing Yards Record Holder (7,258 yards)
  • Nebraska Career Completions Record Holder (575)
  • Nebraska Career Touchdown Passes Record Holder (56)
  • Nebraska Career Starts by a Quarterback Record Holder (43)
  • Nebraska Season Total Offense Record Holder (3,890 yards, 2012)
  • Nebraska Season Total Touchdowns Record Holder (33, 2012)
  • Nebraska Game Completion Percentage Record Holder (91.9 vs. Arkansas State, 2012)
  • School Record Holder Total Offense By a Sophomore (2,963 yards, 2011)
Rex Burkhead:
  • School Record Holder for Single-Game Carries (38 vs. Iowa, 2011)
  • Tied School Record For Most Consecutive Games with a Touchdown (10, 2011)
Kenny Bell:
  • Nebraska Sophomore Receptions Record Holder (50 in 2012)
  • Nebraska Sophomore Receiving Yards Record Holder (863 in 2012)
  • Nebraska Sophomore Receiving Touchdowns Record Holder (8 in 2012)
  • Nebraska Sophomore 100-Yard Receiving Games Record Holder (3 in 2012)
  • School Record Holder for career receptions
  • Needs 7 yards to pass Johnny Rodgers for the school record in career receiving yards

Ameer Abdullah:

• Nebraska Record Holder in Career All-Purpose Yards
  • Nebraska Record Holder in Career Carries
  • Nebraska Record Holder in Career 300-Yard All-Purpose Games
  • Only Player in Nebraska History with Three 1,000-Yard Rushing Seasons
  • Nebraska Record Holder in Season 200-Yard Rushing Games (4 in 2014)
  • Nebraska Record Holder in Season 300-Yard All-Purpose Games (2 in 2014)
  • Nebraska Record Holder for Single-Game All-Purpose Yards (341 vs. Rutgers, 2014)
  • Nebraska Record Holder for Single-Game Kickoff Returns Yards (211 vs. Fresno State, 2011)
  • Nebraska Record Holder for Single-Game All-Purpose Yards (341 vs. Rutgers, 2013)
  • Needs 555 yards to pass Mike Rozier for school record in career rushing yards

You done?

I see individual numbers, where is his offense breaking team records for scoring, rushing, passing for a season.

• Fire 1