Chatelain: It's a running battle with playcaller Tim Beck

I think sometimes ameer gets taken out prematurely. We all know Bo isn't about stats, just winning the game. But frankly in today's college football you have to win big if you want to play for a big trophy. A committee will chose a 1 loss team that is blowing everyone away compared to winning each game by a couple scores. People don't sit around and watch Nebraska vs Rutgers, Nebraska vs purdue, Nebraska vs Illinois. They look at a box score. You have to stomp them in the ground and then let off the gas. Get up 50-10 and then put in the backups. Don't take ameer out of drives in the 3rd quarter when you are only up 20. Also we had no balls not going for the 4th and 1 on their 40 right before the half.

My issue is Beck goes away from whats working or sticks with it when its not. He also appears to try and fit the square peg in the round hole with his QB's. TA is not a side line to sideline passer. His vertical game is good and getting better. Yet Beck continually goes to that screen or quick out that kills drives.......

Call the game to TA's strengths in the passing game and watch our O go to that next level. When they have 8 in the box do anything to get them out i.e. vertical pass, PA, motion, misdirection, USE THE TE, RB delay and drag the middle etc..... Beck seems oblivious of changing to plan B and getting success. IMO, he has no plan B. That's an issue.

Against lesser teams, he looks like a genius and play calling doesn't effect us as much. Against better teams, the inability to adjust will cost us the game. I also wonder who has the final say on our OL play. Garrison as OL coach or Beck as OC. Seems we do better when certain guys are in. Is this beck's fault or garrison's?

• Fire 2

My issue is Beck goes away from whats working or sticks with it when its not. He also appears to try and fit the square peg in the round hole with his QB's. TA is not a side line to sideline passer. His vertical game is good and getting better. Yet Beck continually goes to that screen or quick out that kills drives.......

Call the game to TA's strengths in the passing game and watch our O go to that next level. When they have 8 in the box do anything to get them out i.e. vertical pass, PA, motion, misdirection, USE THE TE, RB delay and drag the middle etc..... Beck seems oblivious of changing to plan B and getting success. IMO, he has no plan B. That's an issue.

Against lesser teams, he looks like a genius and play calling doesn't effect us as much. Against better teams, the inability to adjust will cost us the game. I also wonder who has the final say on our OL play. Garrison as OL coach or Beck as OC. Seems we do better when certain guys are in. Is this beck's fault or garrison's?

I agree with your assessment on TA's strengths as a passer, however if you the fan sees that then dont you think that a college defensive coordinator sees that also?

Beck does have some questionable play calling at times, but so does every coach at every level. He has to call the quick out, screens, and slants to get the defense out of cover 3 so we can take advantage of the deep ball later. If we never show the quick routes the defense does not have to respect it.

Beck does a pretty good job with the offense. We as fans have a tendency to point out flaws and exaggerate them and downplay the good things that happen.

• Fire 3

Does anyone notice when Beck goes away from something that's working to something else and that works too? Or when he sticks with something that's not working and it eventually starts working? People often only see what we're looking for (confirmation bias).

There were countless times in the game where we had a successful running play followed up by a successful passing play, and vice-versa, which would be going away from what's working to something that also works. In the NW game, the Huskers stuck with the run that wasn't producing much in the first half and it got going in the second half.

• Fire 5

Does anyone notice when Beck goes away from something that's working to something else and that works too? Or when he sticks with something that's not working and it eventually starts working? People often only see what we're looking for (confirmation bias).

There were countless times in the game where we had a successful running play followed up by a successful passing play, and vice-versa, which would be going away from what's working to something that also works. In the NW game, the Huskers stuck with the run that wasn't producing much in the first half and it got going in the second half.

Yeah but the ones getting upset don't care if the run isn't working and we stick with it. We are a running team after all.

Yeah but the ones getting upset don't care if the run isn't working and we stick with it. We are a running team after all.

In the first half, we were passing and had multiple drops. In the second half, we didn't abandon the pass and had great catches and throws at clutch times. I think he does a good job with balance and avoiding being too predictable.

Everyones making some really good points on the positive side. I said I overreacted during the game yesterday after analyzing our offensive plays play by play and posting that list in another thread. Honestly, I guess I dont even know what I'm mad about all the time. Beck has done a pretty ok job this year from an overall standpoint. Even the Michigan St game that I thought was an epic failure on his part in regards to countering Sparty's defensive attach, actually contained some things that we failed to execute, that had we done so most like wouldve been able to free some things up. It just seems like any angst I have at this point is aimed at him. Why? Hell, it's probably his comments before the Iowa game last season: "Who does have a good relationship with this fanbase?". I guess that still burns a hole in my heart. I was a pretty big defender of Tim before that. Since then, I've been more kneejerk and am having a really hard time finding anything good from this guy, until like yesterday, I rewatch it, and realize it was a pretty good game overall. Still not a fan though. It's my opinion. I just dont like the pass-happy tendancies. Yes, I know we have to pass, but like yesterday, coming out doing play action on first down numerous times, are our strength. You can see the pattern. PA with minimal reads is what clicks for us. When drop back and Tommy has multiple reads and concepts to work through, you can an obvious lack of success. Yeah, he needs to work on that, but at this point this season, let's just stick with what we're doing great.

I said it yesterday, I'll say it again. I wasn't happy with the way we played overall. Heck, Bo and Beck agree. For me it's the little things, not just Beck's playcalling, which Chatelain's only focusing on here. Offensively, it's catching the ball when it hits you in the numbers, going through your progressions, proper footwork. Defensively, it's making the tackle, playing your assignment, or throwing a lateral to no nobody after a blocked field goal. There are just enough moments every game where one mistake is too many and it's going to cost us a big game. If Nebraska doesn't clean them up before Wisconsin, it'll be another year without a conference championship. No conference championship and it's another year of having to read why many posters think we should fire Bo... which makes me grind my teeth just thinking about reading those threads and comments for another year.

• Fire 2

Everyones making some really good points on the positive side. I said I overreacted during the game yesterday after analyzing our offensive plays play by play and posting that list in another thread. Honestly, I guess I dont even know what I'm mad about all the time. Beck has done a pretty ok job this year from an overall standpoint. Even the Michigan St game that I thought was an epic failure on his part in regards to countering Sparty's defensive attach, actually contained some things that we failed to execute, that had we done so most like wouldve been able to free some things up. It just seems like any angst I have at this point is aimed at him. Why? Hell, it's probably his comments before the Iowa game last season: "Who does have a good relationship with this fanbase?". I guess that still burns a hole in my heart. I was a pretty big defender of Tim before that. Since then, I've been more kneejerk and am having a really hard time finding anything good from this guy, until like yesterday, I rewatch it, and realize it was a pretty good game overall. Still not a fan though. It's my opinion. I just dont like the pass-happy tendancies. Yes, I know we have to pass, but like yesterday, coming out doing play action on first down numerous times, are our strength. You can see the pattern. PA with minimal reads is what clicks for us. When drop back and Tommy has multiple reads and concepts to work through, you can an obvious lack of success. Yeah, he needs to work on that, but at this point this season, let's just stick with what we're doing great.

This is it for me. I read all off season about looking back the past 12-18 months and really evaluating what worked and what didn't. Stream lining the O, calling to our strengths etc....Then I see some of the play calling. TA throwing to the flats for repeated drops and miscues, Cross on a toss sweep, comments about MSU (hoping the OL would un f themselves) etc.... That's my frustration. TA did a better job yesterday with progressions. I even saw a pump one time. BUT this came against Rutgers. Not MSU, Minnie, Wisky etc......Design an offensive plan and attack around what you have, not what you want. The PA and vertical passing game should be our staple. Disguise it with motion, sets, formations etc....Use the TE to chip block and get to the middle. Scrap the flat screens and do a toss sweep with AA or actually hand off to the receiver in motion that I see at least 25 times a game and each time I think we are setting something up and then realize it just pisses me off watching a receiver run across the screen...

Stick with and sharpen what we are good at. The whole jack of al trades, master of none. Let's master this part of TA's strengths.......

This is it for me. I read all off season about looking back the past 12-18 months and really evaluating what worked and what didn't. Stream lining the O, calling to our strengths etc....Then I see some of the play calling. TA throwing to the flats for repeated drops and miscues, Cross on a toss sweep, comments about MSU (hoping the OL would un f themselves) etc.... That's my frustration. TA did a better job yesterday with progressions. I even saw a pump one time. BUT this came against Rutgers. Not MSU, Minnie, Wisky etc......Design an offensive plan and attack around what you have, not what you want. The PA and vertical passing game should be our staple. Disguise it with motion, sets, formations etc....Use the TE to chip block and get to the middle. Scrap the flat screens and do a toss sweep with AA or actually hand off to the receiver in motion that I see at least 25 times a game and each time I think we are setting something up and then realize it just pisses me off watching a receiver run across the screen...

Stick with and sharpen what we are good at. The whole jack of al trades, master of none. Let's master this part of TA's strengths.......

The things we do well don't happen if we don't call those "other" plays. That's the whole point of an attack, and the good teams--unless we are better than most of us think we are--will take away what we do best. Michigan State took away our run game, and I don't recall many completed deep passes or passes across the middle. Those secondary plays, especially if we can execute them well, are what makes the things we do well work even better.

The only thing I wish we would see more from the play calling is more HB screen passes. What better way to prevent a loaded box then by dumping a pass off to Ameer? All in all, Tim really hasn't done a bad job this year.

A couple of points here:

The TE will not be utilized effectively until Carter gets back. Cotton is a blocking TE, not a receiver, in spite of the TD yesterday.

Harry, as far as proper footwork and going through progressions... do not expect a huge improvement on these under Beck. He does not know how to improve mechanical attributes of QB play, just how to direct the QB to run the offense. These are two separate tasks, and I don't think a lot of people get that.

HB screens are going to be mostly useless with this OL. They are not athletic enough to get out in front of AA consistently and block. Any yards on these are going to be all effort and making people miss by AA.

Lo nailed it. Beck needs to do a better job tailoring this offense around what TA can actually do at this point and not what he wishes he could do. Those two things, again, are separate entities.

Let's be honest here, did anybody realize that the first drive of the second half Ameer broke off a 49 yard run, Cross ran for a loss of 1, and after a false start Tommy threw three straight passes for 11, 10, and 8 yards for a TD? Then on the next drive three straight passes were called again with the third being a four yard TD pass to Westy?

• Fire 2