I finally figured out Beck!

Zaimejs

The strategy is so sandlot simple, that I have missed it for years.

We run the "you all go there and I'l throw it there" offense!

Beck knows that we cannot get a QB who can throw an accurate pass to one receiver, so he just puts all the receivers in roughly the same spot on the field so that the QB can just toss it up there and hope for the best.

That is the only conceivable reason I can come up with to determine why we have had so many plays where you can't tell who Tommie throwing to because there are 2 or 3 people standing in the same place on the field. No clue.

• Fire 1

The strategy is so sandlot simple, that I have missed it for years.

We run the "you all go there and I'l throw it there" offense!

Beck knows that we cannot get a QB who can throw an accurate pass to one receiver, so he just puts all the receivers in roughly the same spot on the field so that the QB can just toss it up there and hope for the best.

That is the only conceivable reason I can come up with to determine why we have had so many plays where you can't tell who Tommie throwing to because there are 2 or 3 people standing in the same place on the field. No clue.

I bet you feel pretty stupid right now.

• Fire 1

It's probably communication issues. Our offense has the WRs reading the defenders as the play unfolds and deciding where to go. QB has to make the same read and then throws to an area.

It's probably fair to question if that's the best idea given the kinds of mistakes that can happen (i.e, guy falls down, snap decision leads to ball going to defender) especially with less experienced receivers...but it's the system in place.

• Fire 1

I will admit, I wasn't on the QB coach idea at first, I felt Tim Beck was competent enough to handle it. He isn't. Doesn't mean we should fire the guy, but we need a true QB coach on the staff.

One coordinator, 2 QBs, and they keep having the same issues. Poor footwork when passing, staring down receivers, and pre-determining where to throw the ball and not seeing the whole field.

Reoccurring issues at QB development with the Huskers, my only reasoning for it, is lack of coaching at the position.

Maybe if we huddled instead of tryin to interpret 4000 hand signals at mach speed those communication issues would be eradicated.

This. Make sure everyone is on the same page before even lining up. If you're not even running hurry-up (which we rarely do), you're taking all the risk of no-huddle, but getting none of the reward.
  • Fire 1

Maybe if we huddled instead of tryin to interpret 4000 hand signals at mach speed those communication issues would be eradicated.

This. Make sure everyone is on the same page before even lining up. If you're not even running hurry-up (which we rarely do), you're taking all the risk of no-huddle, but getting none of the reward.

Exactly. We've slowed the tempo, which I like, but these *communication errors* are growing in both numbers and ridiculousness.

I know I might seem crazy and annoying because I basically say this on every thread, but why doesn't our QB keep it more often...the worst thing that happens is that we get stopped 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage..but think about all that open space in the middle of the field if the end has to actually consistently account for our QB

I would be curious to see what percentage of our passes are 20yd or more down field. I think the problem truly starts there, even great NFL QBs dont complete these passes at a high clip so why are we attempting so many deep passes? I mean I am not saying NEVER do it, I am just saying we have WRs like Bell and Pierson El and even Reilly now who can turn a 10yd slant or 5yd curl into a long gain. The times Tommy struggles is when he has pressure in his face, he tends to then throw the ball off his back foot which causes it fo sale on deep balls or or short routes that require touch he throws with his hands lagged behind and makes it appear that he flicks the ball out and he seems to miss these high. However, on many 3-5 step drops when he hits it and fires on short passes to sidelines or the middle he has looks good overall. My big concern is that Beck tries to over think everything, you get inside the 5yd line, just run it in. Its not "neat" but damn its effective. I also agree with the above on the huddling, when we are running option routes and rubs or picks as some will call, you have to get everyone on the same page and it seems too many times this year that hasnt been the case.

But seriously if someone gets the time, or if I do. See if there is a way to find the passing charts, I think we would all be surprised how often we are going deep. Maybe more of thats on Tommy, since the post might not always be the primary read but he is just taking it.

Just my thoughts on this.

GBR!!

Not sure having a qb coach would help tommy play any better he is 50% passer run first qb he just is what he is

as on OC you can call a game and push the % to 65+, or call a game that results in a 50% passer. The way this offense is run, we could take Manziel and turn him into a mid-50's passer. It just is what it is. They take a lot of shots down field, and don't dink-and-dunk much. I don't think that's on Tommy as much as Beck. People say he doesn't get through his progressions - well then you are admitting that deep bomb he's throwing is his first read. Why? Why can't we get into a rhythym with play-action, involve the TE, screen passes to one of the most dangerous back in the nation? Those are your high % plays that would put Tommy well into the 60's. It's not what's being called. Kenny and Westy are deep threats, and that's how we're going to use them I guess.

Not sure having a qb coach would help tommy play any better he is 50% passer run first qb he just is what he is

as on OC you can call a game and push the % to 65+, or call a game that results in a 50% passer. The way this offense is run, we could take Manziel and turn him into a mid-50's passer. It just is what it is. They take a lot of shots down field, and don't dink-and-dunk much. I don't think that's on Tommy as much as Beck. People say he doesn't get through his progressions - well then you are admitting that deep bomb he's throwing is his first read. Why? Why can't we get into a rhythym with play-action, involve the TE, screen passes to one of the most dangerous back in the nation? Those are your high % plays that would put Tommy well into the 60's. It's not what's being called. Kenny and Westy are deep threats, and that's how we're going to use them I guess.

There is a difference between the first read and the primary read. From what I've gathered, we often have one set of routes to one side of the field and another set on the other side of the field. The QB looks at the pre-snap look and decides on one side or the other. Then he can make a choice. It only makes sense if there are multiple receivers on one side of the field that one of them is going to go deep. That doesn't mean that hte play is always called to go deep. TA just likes to throw that ball.

We throw a lot of passes down the field because that's what our QB throws best. Some combination of the plays that are called and TA likes to throw down the field. He is not very good at the shorter throws because his footwork is sloppy and he doesn't see the field very well. We have tried multiple times in the last few games to throw short outs and WR screens and have completed a very poor percentage of those throws.

• Fire 1

Exactly. We've slowed the tempo, which I like, but these *communication errors* are growing in both numbers and ridiculousness.

Beck admitted he made the Purdue game plan overly complex. It's all over the paper today. I think that attributed to much of the confusion. we saw. He needs to simply our game plan going forward. Unfortunately he has a hard time doing that as we saw in the Michigan State game.