****** What did we learn - Wisky Edition ******

So, a "wait and see" kind of guy. Always have been. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, and a chance to fix mistakes. But after today, I'm done. There's only so much tweaking and minor changes that can be made before you just gotta start over, and I believe we're at that point. It seems there are too many yes men, from the AD, to the HC, to the assistants. It's time to make a change.
I still love my team, and will root for them to win every game, but I have no confidence in Nebraska getting back to prominence with the way things are.
Go Huskers.

I think this is where we all were at some point. Whether it was today or 2010/2011/2012. Enough becomes enough.

I don't think our problems are an easy fix by any means. But imo there is one core issue behind much of it: we are mentally weak. When we get challenged or when we face pressure, which inevitably happens in big road games, we collapse. Penalties, false starts, guys running the wrong routes, etc. It's become ingrained into who we are as a program at this point.

• Fire 1

Saunders isn't too far off.

I've supported Bo 100% prior to today. Paps has always been a yes man. I've been on the fence about Beck. He definitely needs someone to tutor his QBs, but the OL was atrocious today and it's clear there's multiple issues.

After today, we're all sick of waiting for the *POSSIBILITY* of Beck figuring it out. Pay a real established OC with a proven track record damnit. Paps can go away.

Now I'm on the fence about Bo. He can get some better coaches so he can stop melting down or he too can take a hike.

Bo is the one calling the defensive plays. Paps just signals them in for him. This is Bo's mess, he needs to be canned for tuning us into Iowa only with a better history.

Things Im still interested in learning?

Will the local media hold Pelini's feet to the fire? Ask the tough questions. Ask for additional clarification if answers are vague, or seem to imply something. If Pelini can't take it, he can storm off, and further expose his ineffectiveness. if he blows up and acts like an ass, he give legit reason to let go a 9-10 win year coach. I'm thinking Eichorst really missed the boat at the end of last season. With the Iowa blow up and release of the tapes (no matter how BS that may have been), it wouldn't have looked so bad moving on from a coach with a winning record.

Does Eichorst have one or two solid backup coaching candidates if either Pelini is let go or leaves voluntarily? I'll be the first to admit that as much as I disbelieve that Bo's program will get over the hump, if he's outright fired, I do think it would scare off potentially good coaching candidates. This is the catch 22 in which the program finds itself. I would think with a firing we'd be limiting our candidates to either Nebraska natives (Scott Frost?) or again, someone who Eichorst already has secretly lined off if he or Pelini decides to pull the trigger. I don't believe Pelini is necessarily loyal to NU. I wonder if another university or pro team could fairly easily hire him away. That would definitely help the program safe face during a coaching search.

What do the major donors with actual juice think?

Will the local media hold Pelini's feet to the fire? Ask the tough questions. Ask for additional clarification if answers are vague, or seem to imply something. If Pelini can't take it, he can storm off, and further expose his ineffectiveness. if he blows up and acts like an ass, he give legit reason to let go a 9-10 win year coach. I'm thinking Eichorst really missed the boat at the end of last season. With the Iowa blow up and release of the tapes (no matter how BS that may have been), it wouldn't have looked so bad moving on from a coach with a winning record.

Does Eichorst have one or two solid backup coaching candidates if either Pelini is let go or leaves voluntarily? I'll be the first to admit that as much as I disbelieve that Bo's program will get over the hump, if he's outright fired, I do think it would scare off potentially good coaching candidates. This is the catch 22 in which the program finds itself. I would think with a firing we'd be limiting our candidates to either Nebraska natives (Scott Frost?) or again, someone who Eichorst already has secretly lined off if he or Pelini decides to pull the trigger. I don't believe Pelini is necessarily loyal to NU. I wonder if another university or pro team could fairly easily hire him away. That would definitely help the program safe face during a coaching search.

Eichorst wanted to get rid of him after the Iowa game last year. You can thank Tom for meddiing and talking the boosters into not giving Eichorst the money to buy him out.

I've supported Bo 100% prior to today. Paps has always been a yes man. I've been on the fence about Beck. He definitely needs someone to tutor his QBs, but the OL was atrocious today and it's clear there's multiple issues.

After today, we're all sick of waiting for the *POSSIBILITY* of Beck figuring it out. Pay a real established OC with a proven track record damnit. Paps can go away.

Now I'm on the fence about Bo. He can get some better coaches so he can stop melting down or he too can take a hike.

Bo is the one calling the defensive plays. Paps just signals them in for him. This is Bo's mess, he needs to be canned for tuning us into Iowa only with a better history.
It wasn't the play calling that killed the D. As much as everyone hates to hear this, it was all execution. They did not plug gaps well in the run game and obviously Gordon took advantage and got into the secondary over and over again for HUGE gains.

Preparing and teaching the players to execute that scheme to defend the run well, that's on the coaches. If they do a great job and the players can't replicate it on Saturday, that's on the players. But I think it's probably a bit of both.

Either way, Paps appears to be dead weight and I'm of the opinion we should hire someone who actually has experience coordinating excellent defenses in the past.

It wasn't the play calling that killed the D. As much as everyone hates to hear this, it was all execution. They did not plug gaps well in the run game and obviously Gordon took advantage and got into the secondary over and over again for HUGE gains.

Preparing and teaching the players to execute that scheme to defend the run well, that's on the coaches. If they do a great job and the players can't replicate it on Saturday, that's on the players. But I think it's probably a bit of both.

Either way, Paps appears to be dead weight and I'm of the opinion we should hire someone who actually has experience coordinating excellent defenses in the past.

That would make perfect sense if our HC wasn't a control freak.

Eichorst wanted to get rid of him after the Iowa game last year. You can thank Tom for meddiing and talking the boosters into not giving Eichorst the money to buy him out.

That's interesting. Speaking of TO, I thought he did a pretty great job as AD, but it looks like Alvarez has bested him in that dept.