Coach?

hskerprid

First off, I don't think Bo is going to lose his job. I don't think that UNL has that wherewithal. However, since we're engaging in hypotheticals.......

Recruiting to Nebraska has always been a challenge and always will be into the future. We will always have to do "more with less" than the warm weather schools. We have to find a system that will allow us to compete with those recruit-laden schools. Logic dictates that we'll lose a lot more of our games against those elite schools than we'll win if we emulate their style with lesser athletes. This is why I think Craig Bohl would be the perfect fit at Nebraska. He understands the Plains and would bring a physical style of football that most would appreciate (except some of Gen X and most of Gen Y). Here's why:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/8/26/6005585/craig-bohl-wyoming-north-dakota-state-football-offense-defense

Really enjoyed this article. I think there are several coaches out there who could have success at Nebraska, and I'm not saying Bohl is definitely 'the' guy, but his comment "Personally, I've long believed that a successful football team will be a reflection of the values of the people in the state" really resonated with me. Just my $.02, but I feel the emphasis on recruiting in college football has gotten a bit inflated relative to the importance of player development. It honestly has gotten quite ubiquitous across the college football landscape. Of course, you need to recruit well, and it is very important, but so is having a team with a scheme in a place like Nebraska that is harmonious with the talent we have in-state and regionally (Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, The Dakotas, Colorado, Wyoming).

I realize we have far less roster spots available than we had in Osborne's days, but I think it is vital to utilize and develop the local talent resources we have available and to find the best schemes to augment this talent. I believe most of Wisconsin's offensive line are in-state guys, and the running back who set the FBS rushing record on us is from Kenosha. J.J. Watt is a Wisconsin guy. Kansas State has several Kansas kids on their 2 deep. These are kids that play for something greater than themselves, that something being the pride of their state/region. This passion also spills over to the kids that are not from the state/region. The team needs to remain close to the people, of the people, if you will. I'm not saying we don't need to still recruit nationally or land good recruits, I'm saying there is (and should be) more to the equation than that. I'm not sure how excited I'd be about a Nebraska team winning a national championship that was made up of 0 Nebraska guys on the 2 deep. I'm sure it would be great and all, but I have a feeling it would be a bit hollow.

(I accidentally posted this in the 'This guy gets "it" when it comes to what NU needs on O.....' thread earlier, so apologies for the redundancy. I don't post here much)

While we are on coaches, why not look at Lance Leipold. He is the coach for Wisconsin-Whitewater and has built a powerhouse program there. He might be one that could move up and not skip a beat.

http://www.uwwsports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1277&path=football

I'm a fan of this idea. No need limit your options to division 1A coordinators. Hire a winner and provide him with the resources to win at the highest level. See also: Tim Miles.

Hell, Miles brought on a former HC. Think he worrying about his pride or being shown up? Hell no. He wants the best guys around him possible. A good HC realizes he can always still learn and grow!!

what frustrates me the most is that neb. had the perfect opportunity to cut bo loose last season. if they would have done that, they could have given the new coaching regime this year's soft schedule to get acclimated. but now, either way, next year is going to be pretty darn tough.

In terms of schedule, that's not really true. Nebraska has almost an identical schedule to this year, but, their two toughest conference games (Wisconsin and Michigan State) are at home. I think next year's schedule is easier.

While we are on coaches, why not look at Lance Leipold. He is the coach for Wisconsin-Whitewater and has built a powerhouse program there. He might be one that could move up and not skip a beat.

http://www.uwwsports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1277&path=football

I'm a fan of this idea. No need limit your options to division 1A coordinators. Hire a winner and provide him with the resources to win at the highest level. See also: Tim Miles.

Hell, Miles brought on a former HC. Think he worrying about his pride or being shown up? Hell no. He wants the best guys around him possible. A good HC realizes he can always still learn and grow!!

And the great thing about Leipold is he is a QB guy.

I think the problem lies with Bo thinking he needed to promote internally than actually find good coordinators. Mark stoops was available and highly speculated as a good candidate here and Bo promotes an unproven papoopchis.

He went after Stoops. Stoops decided to not come. He also went after Zook. Zook decided to step away from football to persue opportunities outside football.

Remember, it was 6-7 months from the time we knew Carl was gone to the time that Papuchis was named DC. As was said on 1620 yesterday, it's funny how folks clamor at this deal like it was just Bo promoting the buddy, yet they forget it took 7 months and know nothing of what actually went on.

It sounds like most college coaches sort of have an inside track on what is really going on and they possibly knew that Bo was looking for a YES MAN and not a real coordinator

what frustrates me the most is that neb. had the perfect opportunity to cut bo loose last season. if they would have done that, they could have given the new coaching regime this year's soft schedule to get acclimated. but now, either way, next year is going to be pretty darn tough.

In terms of schedule, that's not really true. Nebraska has almost an identical schedule to this year, but, their two toughest conference games (Wisconsin and Michigan State) are at home. I think next year's schedule is easier.

you are right, i was mistaken. i still contend this was a rather cushy schedule for a new head coach.

should have been a cakewalk for a 7th year coach with the talent we have. but c'est la vie.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/11/19/7245005/college-football-coach-hot-seat-avoidance

At Nebraska, for example, the Main Thing is to make the fans feel like it can one day be the 1990s again. Whether it can or cannot actually be the 1990s again is not the point. That means the coach must win big games and bowl games and recruiting battles so it feels like the train is once again leaving the station for Titlesville. When Nebraska loses big games, the fans aren't just frustrated about the loss. They are frustrated because THIS ISN'T WORKING. Nebraska fans want building blocks and things to celebrate so it seems like the team is just a couple tweaks away from the top five. Tom Osborne created a monster; you must feed the monster, or the monster will eat you.

Faux Pelini is writing articles now apparently.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/11/19/7245005/college-football-coach-hot-seat-avoidance

At Nebraska, for example, the Main Thing is to make the fans feel like it can one day be the 1990s again. Whether it can or cannot actually be the 1990s again is not the point. That means the coach must win big games and bowl games and recruiting battles so it feels like the train is once again leaving the station for Titlesville. When Nebraska loses big games, the fans aren't just frustrated about the loss. They are frustrated because THIS ISN'T WORKING. Nebraska fans want building blocks and things to celebrate so it seems like the team is just a couple tweaks away from the top five. Tom Osborne created a monster; you must feed the monster, or the monster will eat you.

Faux Pelini is writing articles now apparently.

i don't think the average ever expects the 90s. in fact, i think most realize just making it to the playoffs would be a pretty big deal.

but what we do want is to be able to compete in the big 10. the second worst power 5 conference. we want to be able to do what wisconsin and msu have done. even though we share many of the same disadvantages.

what we want is attainable. just not with bo.

First off, I don't think Bo is going to lose his job. I don't think that UNL has that wherewithal. However, since we're engaging in hypotheticals.......

Recruiting to Nebraska has always been a challenge and always will be into the future. We will always have to do "more with less" than the warm weather schools. We have to find a system that will allow us to compete with those recruit-laden schools. Logic dictates that we'll lose a lot more of our games against those elite schools than we'll win if we emulate their style with lesser athletes. This is why I think Craig Bohl would be the perfect fit at Nebraska. He understands the Plains and would bring a physical style of football that most would appreciate (except some of Gen X and most of Gen Y). Here's why:http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/8/26/6005585/craig-bohl-wyoming-north-dakota-state-football-offense-defense

Really enjoyed this article. I think there are several coaches out there who could have success at Nebraska, and I'm not saying Bohl is definitely 'the' guy, but his comment "Personally, I've long believed that a successful football team will be a reflection of the values of the people in the state" really resonated with me. Just my $.02, but I feel the emphasis on recruiting in college football has gotten a bit inflated relative to the importance of player development. It honestly has gotten quite ubiquitous across the college football landscape. Of course, you need to recruit well, and it is very important, but so is having a team with a scheme in a place like Nebraska that is harmonious with the talent we have in-state and regionally (Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, The Dakotas, Colorado, Wyoming).

I realize we have far less roster spots available than we had in Osborne's days, but I think it is vital to utilize and develop the local talent resources we have available and to find the best schemes to augment this talent. I believe most of Wisconsin's offensive line are in-state guys, and the running back who set the FBS rushing record on us is from Kenosha. J.J. Watt is a Wisconsin guy. Kansas State has several Kansas kids on their 2 deep. These are kids that play for something greater than themselves, that something being the pride of their state/region. This passion also spills over to the kids that are not from the state/region. The team needs to remain close to the people, of the people, if you will. I'm not saying we don't need to still recruit nationally or land good recruits, I'm saying there is (and should be) more to the equation than that. I'm not sure how excited I'd be about a Nebraska team winning a national championship that was made up of 0 Nebraska guys on the 2 deep. I'm sure it would be great and all, but I have a feeling it would be a bit hollow.

(I accidentally posted this in the 'This guy gets "it" when it comes to what NU needs on O.....' thread earlier, so apologies for the redundancy. I don't post here much)

Thank you for taking the time to read the article and leaving a thoughtful response. I rarely post links, but this particular article struck many chords with me pertaining to what is missing from our current program.