Blackshirt Update.

Warrior10

i don't think these kids believe in Bo's scheme........he has lost his leader hat, Minnesota will wax our ass but good....they should win by 25 easy.......this team will suffer a Bo hangover.....he took no responsibility in this loss, none......nada! he is a mini clownahan!

this is what I think too happened on saturday. There's just no more buy in. You can only try to teach something to someone who doesnt understand so long before you have to either change the thing being taught, or change the teacher. Pretty obvious they just dont believe in what theyre doing. They dont play with any tenacity on a consistent basis. One thing goes wrong and they clearly lack any sort of faith for proper adjustments. Theyre thinking too much and not playing football. Not getting off blocks. Its just dissappointing.

Just saw Sipple tweet this. How can you see your teammates take accountability for Saturday and leave their blackshirts in their lockers and still come out in yours?

Who cares?

Wearing or not wearing a blackshirt has nothing to do with anything. It's not "taking accountability for Saturday." Playing better is taking accountability. Executing better is taking accountability.

Taking off a jersey is easy. If only fixing the defense were that easy.

The person who needs to lose their "blackshirt" is Bo Pelini. He is the one dishonering the tradition of sound, ferocious, effective defense.

well according to this thread and the few dozen people that called into unsportsmanlike conduct today many people care. How about showing some solidarity after a loss they're all part of the same defense yet only half of them gave them up. Pap said it was a call that was made between the players and himself and he wouldn't go any further. So they decided guys like Collins and Gregory lost then but the linebackers that were running into each other keep them. Genius.

Just saw Sipple tweet this. How can you see your teammates take accountability for Saturday and leave their blackshirts in their lockers and still come out in yours?

Who cares?

Wearing or not wearing a blackshirt has nothing to do with anything. It's not "taking accountability for Saturday." Playing better is taking accountability. Executing better is taking accountability.

The person who needs to lose their "blackshirt" is Bo Pelini. He is the one dishonering the tradition of sound, ferocious, effective defense.

well according to this thread and the few dozen people that called into unsportsmanlike conduct today many people care. How about showing some solidarity after a loss they're all part of the same defense yet only half of them gave them up. Pap said it was a call that was made between the players and himself and he wouldn't go any further. So they decided guys like Collins and Gregory lost then but the linebackers that were running into each other keep them. Genius.

I hear ya. My comment wasn't necessarily directed at you-- just that yours was the first comment I saw with an idea I wanted to reply to. I'm just not all into who's wearing a blackshirt and who isn't. This team has real problems. Who's wearing what jersey isn't one of them in my opinion.

Has anyone noticed our lack of tackling ability in our LBs and 2ndary? I've noticed this for 3-4 years now. They are football players not hockey players checking guys into the boards. Mitchell Cooper Davie never wrap up. Makes me sick to watch.

Damian Stafford was the king of no-arm knock-out attempts instead of wrapping up. Looks like Cooper for sure uses the same technique. One would think competent coaches would correct that immediately and permanently, but somehow it goes on year after year after year.

Watched the Titans yesterday. he still does...

Don't read too much into this. We already knew most of this stuff. We know Minnesota likes to run the ball and be physical and this is something Bo's defense has had trouble with. So to me none of this is going to mean anything about Saturday because I believe the players and coaches try really hard. I also believe the scheme (and temperament of the coach) sets the defense up to fail against a power run offense. The kids will play hard and probably have each other's backs but without the true leaders, they will crumble together during overwhelming odds.

The blackshirts shouldn't be taken away. The coaches lost that game. The gameplan was awful. We've seen these kids tackle and play sound football. The meltdown was on the coaches and their inability to respond properly to mistakes and big games. The team is once again a reflection of the coach. Different players, same coach, same issues.

For the record. I hate ragging on Bo. I want him to be successful. But his success here is limited.

Again blame the coaches, not the kids. Blackshirts mean something to the players and so it means something to me. I have faith in the players. My faith in the coaches is not there.

• Fire 1

Who cares?

I hear ya. My comment wasn't necessarily directed at you-- just that yours was the first comment I saw with an idea I wanted to reply to. I'm just not all into who's wearing a blackshirt and who isn't. This team has real problems. Who's wearing what jersey isn't one of them in my opinion.

yeah and if were being completely honest Bo has already wrecked this tradition, i would have just liked to see the players show some solidarity. Either everyone wears them because they're the starters or no one wears them if its based on performance

This whole discussion is a farce. Handing them out after a good game is dumb. We're never going to have a consistently dominant defense like back in the day (or offense, for that matter) under Bo. It's a by-product of the coach. Consistency, confidence, and attitude evade this entire squad... And that's pervasive.

It's also a by-product of modern day, high octane football as well. You see good defenses have bad games here and there all across football. Even the '09 unit had such a day. even the '97, '95, and '94 units had a game or two that just wasnt up to snuff. And in this day an age it's even more prevalent.

No excuse for what we're experiencing though. So dont try to tie me to that.